1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PS3 details expected tomorrow, as Sony confirms briefing plans

Rob Fahey 12:24 14/03/2006

Kutaragi set to address Tokyo conference; announcements due for 6am GMT

New information regarding Sony's PlayStation 3 plans, which could include the pricing, launch date and initial software line-up of the console, is set to be announced in Tokyo tomorrow at a specially convened Sony conference.

Sony today confirmed that the conference, which has been widely rumoured to be the venue for new PS3 announcements since last week, will take place at 3pm local time (6am GMT) in Tokyo tomorrow, and will be open to media and analysts as well as to Sony's publishing partners.

Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi is set to address the conference, which will be the last possible venue for major PlayStation announcements in Japan before SCE's worldwide studios chief Phil Harrison's keynote at the Game Developers' Conference in San Jose next week, and probably the last chance for the firm to reveal PS3 details before its year-end on March 31st.

Although some commentators have suggested that the event may not include exact launch details since it is a relatively low-key conference, Sony can hardly afford to wait until E3 to announce further information regarding PS3, since it has as recently as last week claimed to be sticking to a launch timescale which will see the console appearing in Spring.

Other indicators also point to a significant amount of information being released tomorrow - most notably screenshots of a PS3 version of RPG title Untold Legends, which were reportedly set to be released on Wednesday morning but were accidentally revealed a few days earlier. The timing suggests that at least some of the software line-up will get an airing in Tokyo tomorrow.

The current expectation from most analysts and publishers is that the PS3 will launch either in late summer or early autumn in Japan, followed by a US launch before Christmas and a European launch in the first quarter of 2007.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Sony's announcement tomorrow: "PS3 detailes will be released at E3 this year. You can expect PS3 to be the best system out there. Everyone just wait, dont buy Xbox 360. Thank you"

its a habit sony makes announcement about an announcment with no details. baiting everyone along and showing a few computer generated screen shots.
i would be surprised if any real detail will be released.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dunno... if the 3rd party supporters and market analysts are also invited to attend I think Sony is going to have to give them something concrete.

With the rumors of a problem waiting for final Blu-Ray specs & then apparently losing the case involving the Dualshock technology, Sony needs to settle the financial markets down before their share prices start dropping. PS3 is too large a part of their portfolio to play it too vague and loose at this point.

Harrison's keynote speech next week at the GDC is entitled "PS3: Beyond the Box". So I'm thinking Ken K. will fill people in with what is presently happening with the PS3. Basically numbers, facts, and timelines and the like. (Especially considering that he's the technical titular head of the PS franchise.) And Harrison will give the conference an idea of the PS3 model of advanced technology and how developers can use it to grow business opportunities, etc. Theoretical plans and such.

BTW: I'm more curious to hear Iwata's keynote address entitled "Disrupting Development". (Iwata = Pres. of Nintendo) :lol2

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
I dunno... if the 3rd party supporters and market analysts are also invited to attend I think Sony is going to have to give them something concrete.

With the rumors of a problem waiting for final Blu-Ray specs & then apparently losing the case involving the Dualshock technology, Sony needs to settle the financial markets down before their share prices start dropping. PS3 is too large a part of their portfolio to play it too vague and loose at this point.

Harrison's keynote speech next week at the GDC is entitled "PS3: Beyond the Box". So I'm thinking Ken K. will fill people in with what is presently happening with the PS3. Basically numbers, facts, and timelines and the like. (Especially considering that he's the technical titular head of the PS franchise.) And Harrison will give the conference an idea of the PS3 model of advanced technology and how developers can use it to grow business opportunities, etc. Theoretical plans and such.

BTW: I'm more curious to hear Iwata's keynote address entitled "Disrupting Development". (Iwata = Pres. of Nintendo) :lol2
i dunno. the latest rumor is that Sony will delay PS3 japan launch till november.........http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145919.html

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ No, I agree totally that there is a better then even chance of a delay past the supposed "Spring" release.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the briefing will need to be an update with specific "when, where, how" type information. I doubt that Sony is going to unveil their complete role out plan, but it's my guess that they're going to have to give enough public accounting of their progress to satisfy their business partners.

The people who've thrown in with Sony have a lot at stake too, and if Sony blows the PS3 role out then they'll suffer also. (For example they have their #1 teams developing PS3 games, have earmarked the most of their marketing money on the PS3, etc.) I bet behind the scenes Sony's partners are pressuring them to release some news to quell the public's dissatisfaction.

Right now Sony is #1 in the console wars. So they have two choices: hold their place, or plummet. MS & Nintendo can take chances with marketing statregy or other things since they're trying to catch up to Sony, but Sony doesn't have that luxury. I'm sure there's some hardcore butt puckering in the Sony offices LOL! :fear

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
^ No, I agree totally that there is a better then even chance of a delay past the supposed "Spring" release.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the briefing will need to be an update with specific "when, where, how" type information. I doubt that Sony is going to unveil their complete role out plan, but it's my guess that they're going to have to give enough public accounting of their progress to satisfy their business partners.

The people who've thrown in with Sony have a lot at stake too, and if Sony blows the PS3 role out then they'll suffer also. (For example they have their #1 teams developing PS3 games, have earmarked the most of their marketing money on the PS3, etc.) I bet behind the scenes Sony's partners are pressuring them to release some news to quell the public's dissatisfaction.

Right now Sony is #1 in the console wars. So they have two choices: hold their place, or plummet. MS & Nintendo can take chances with marketing statregy or other things since they're trying to catch up to Sony, but Sony doesn't have that luxury. I'm sure there's some hardcore butt puckering in the Sony offices LOL! :fear
major announcement would be Sony dropping the Blue-ray and adding
HD-DVD in the PS3. hahahaha
:lol2

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
divinewisdom said:
major announcement would be Sony dropping the Blue-ray and adding
HD-DVD in the PS3. hahahaha
:lol2
:lol

Well it's already Wed. morning in Japan so I guess we won't have too much longer to wait. :eek:

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/03/14/2117238&from=rss

"It's official! PS3 has been delayed until November in Japan. Apparently, it's because of copy protection technology issues associated with Blu-ray." From the article: "Today, Sony officially conceded defeat to the recent flurry of rumors and speculation, with Japanese newspaper Nihon Keizai Shimbun reporting the machine has been pushed back until November. There aren't many details out right now, but Sony says issues over the finalization of copy protection technology related to their Blu-ray disc drive is the cause of the delay. As the news is coming out of Japan, that creates a worrisome scenario for America and Europe."

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
tha_con said:
Not to say it's not official, but Sony has said they have made no such comment on a "delay" and the source from the said aritcle is anonymous.

Not saying it can't happen, but I'll wait for the press conference.
i agree. some site said its official, but gamespot only said there are "reports". so its not really offcial yet.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
tha_con said:
Not to say it's not official, but Sony has said they have made no such comment on a "delay" and the source from the said aritcle is anonymous.

Not saying it can't happen, but I'll wait for the press conference.
that's common on slashdot, it doesnt mean an anonymous source. it means the person who submitted the story to slashdot submitted it w/o registration. slashdot just provides synopses of other stories.

i provided the slashdot link so the cliffnotes version was available. /. also has some interesting replies if you skim past the trolling and flaming.

the link in the synopsis
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148763

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
AlSi said:
that's common on slashdot, it doesnt mean an anonymous source. it means the person who submitted the story to slashdot submitted it w/o registration. slashdot just provides synopses of other stories.

i provided the slashdot link so the cliffnotes version was available. /. also has some interesting replies if you skim past the trolling and flaming.

the link in the synopsis
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148763
Well it's not slashdot that bothers me, it's the fact that Sony denies the fact that they have said anything about a delay.

Sure, I think it's almost more than possible, but I also think that these sites are taking certain comments out of context.

It is not that Sony said the PS3 will be delayed, but that they are having trouble with the Copy Protection with blu-ray, which could and most likely will result in a delay of the PS3, however, no one has said anything to that extent....yet.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We got other articles on the hardware specs & business models, but here's a nice overview of what took place at the meeting. ;)

15/03/2006

Kutaragi commits to aggressive worldwide simultaneous launch schedule

The PlayStation 3 is set to launch in North America, Asia and Europe in early November this year, Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has announced, with the firm committed to shipping six million units by the end of March 2007.

Kutaragi was speaking at the PlayStation business briefing in Tokyo, where the firm is outlining its plans for the videogames business over the coming year to an audience of media, analysts and third-party publishing partners.

He told the briefing that the PS3 will be launched in early November in all three major global territories, confounding industry and analyst expectations of a staggered release schedule which would see the European launch delayed to 2007.

From launch onwards, Sony plans to ship a million units a month of the PlayStation 3 - with six million units to be on the market by the end of its financial year in March 2007, indicating that the company plans to have up to two million units ready for day one.

It's an ambitious plan, but the firm certainly has time on its side - having moved its launch target from "spring 2006" to November, and with reports indicating that manufacturing of the console could begin as soon as June, Sony has plenty of time to ramp up the manufacture process and build up stock of the system pre-launch.

Sony also today confirmed that the final development hardware for PlayStation 3 will roll out in June, which tends to support the claim that manufacturing will also start then, as final development hardware requires almost all of the components of the final consumer hardware to be completed.

However, the November target is likely to be the subject of some speculation for months to come - especially given Sony's track record with such ambitious worldwide launch targets in the form of the PlayStation Portable, which was originally due to launch globally at the end of 2004, but ended up not arriving in America until the second quarter of 2005, and didn't launch in Europe until nine months later, at the beginning of September 2005

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kutaragi's 10 PlayStation Points

Somebody else also posted a good synop of what Ken K. said in Japan. But here's another breakdown of the highlights of his presentation.

(From Next-Gen.)

Updated: Wednesday, 15 March 2006

Kutaragi's 10 PlayStation Points

By Kris Graft

A decent amount of information was revealed at the 2006 PlayStation Business Briefing. Here are 10 points made by Ken Kutaragi:

1. Kutaragi stated that Sony expects to sell to manufacture 6 million PlayStation 3 units by the end of fiscal 2006, ending March 31, 2007. That's less than 6 months after launch.

2. As reported, the PSP will soon support an emulator to play original PlayStation games. The games will be stored on memory sticks via e-distribution.

3. The PS3's online service, dubbed "PlayStation Network Platform", will sport voice chat, matchmaking lobbies and Marketplace-type features that allow users to download content, including software, implying some sort of digital distribution for games. The online service will be available at launch. As reported, the service will be free.

4. PS3 will allegedly be backwards compatible to all PS1 and PS2 games. The new console will also support high-definition resolutions for previous generations.

5. Finalized PS3 dev kits will be shipping to developers in June.

6. The PS2 will remain at its $149 price tag for the foreseeable future.

7. Kutaragi said that that the PS3 will require a hard drive, which will have a 60 GB capacity and support Linux OS. No word on if the HDD will be included. Update: In other words, if not included, you will be paying extra for something that is integral to PS3 functionality.

8. A hard drive-equipped PS3 is intended to be a sort of a central server for the home, allowing users to upload media from one peripheral and view it on another.

9. Sony will release a new firmware upgrade for PSP which will support Flash in its Web browser.

10. PS3 games will be featured exclusively on Blu-ray discs to protect against piracy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts