Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find another link with this information but I got this from a blog site.

ps3.qj.net

PLAYSTATION®3 LAUNCHES ON NOVEMBER 17, 2006 ACROSS MAINLAND EUROPE AND AUSTRALASIA

Equipped with Blu-ray and Pre-Installed HDDAvailable at €499 (20GB HDD) and €599 (60GB HDD)

Los Angeles, May 8, 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today that it would launch PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3) in “Clear Black” throughout mainland Europe and Australasia on November 17, 2006, as part of a worldwide simultaneous launch.

PS3 is the most advanced computer system that serves as a platform to enjoy next generation computer entertainment contents in the home, realized through the combination of Cell and RSX™ processors, in addition to the playability of a vast catalog of PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 software titles.

Having Giga-bit Ethernet and a pre-installed hard disk drive (HDD) as standard in PS3, users will be able to download a variety of contents as well as access on-line games and services over the network.

Equipped with basic input/output ports, PS3 supports a broad range of displays from conventional NTSC/PAL standard TVs to the latest full HD (1080i/1080p) flat panel displays, offering the joy of the most advanced computer entertainment contents to homes around the world. For use in living rooms, maximum heat and noise reduction has been achieved with a noise level equivalent to that of the current slim-line PlayStation 2.

With the overwhelming computational power of the Cell processor, PS3 is capable of playing back content from Blu-ray (BD) disc at a bit rate of multiplex 48Mbps with ease, the maximum bit rate defined in BD standards.

The new controller for PS3 has been created by refining and improving the world’s most popular PlayStation controller which has shipped more than several hundred million units worldwide. The controller for PS3 employs a high-precision, highly sensitive six-axis sensing system that is capable of processing all parameters within the controller itself, thereby eliminating the need for any additional settings on the display system. By applying this technology, it will become possible to freely control the PS3 system over the network.

While further enhancing the joy of entertainment on PlayStation 2 and PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable), SCEE will vigorously promote PS3 as the next generation computer entertainment platform.

PLAYSTATION®3
Product name: PLAYSTATION®3
CPU: Cell Processor
GPU: RSX™
Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)
Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM
HDD: 2.5” Serial ATA ○ (20GB) ○ (60GB)
I/O: USB 2.0 ○ (x4) MemoryStick /SD/CompactFlash - ○
Communication: Ethernet ○ (x1 / 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) IEEE 802.11 b/g - ○ Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR) ○ Wireless controller (Bluetooth) ○
AV Output: Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p HDMI OUT - ○ (x1 / HDMI NextGen) AV MULTI OUT ○ (x1) DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) ○ (x1)
BD/DVD/CD Drive (Read Only): Maximum Read Speed BD 2x (BD-ROM) DVD 8x (DVD-ROM) CD 24x (CD-ROM) SACD 2x
Dimensions: Approximately 325mm (W) x 98mm (H) x 274mm (D)
Weight: Approximately 5 kg
From what I got from this blog and some of the user comments was that there is going to be 2 versions of the PS3 avaliable. A 20GB version that does not have WiFi, HDMI output, Sony Memory Stick, SD, or Compact Flash drive inputs that is going to sell for $500 bux. The $600 one will have a 60GB and all the above features. For $600 I guess I am limited to only 1. :eek:

Oh also that the PS3 controller will be a wireless upgraded version of the classic PS1 and PS2 Dual Shock that will have some "tilt" feature (similar to the Nintendo Wii??). :number1

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
E3: PS3 to top at $599; new controller revealed

Here's another article that breaks it down in a slightly different way:

E3: PS3 to top at $599; new controller revealed

Published: 5/9/2006 6:48am PDT

Sony Computer Entertainment America on Monday announced that the Playstation 3 computer entertainment system would launch on Nov. 17 in North America at $499 w/ 20GB hard drive and $599 w/ 60GB hard drive.
The retail price reveal ends months of speculation that estimated the next Playstation to cost anywhere from $500 - $800.

The $500 – 600 hardware places the PS3 at $100 – 200 over Microsoft’s Xbox 360 premium console.

Sony expects to ship 2M units at launch worldwide, 4M by year end, and 6M by next fiscal March.

Sony revealed several new games in its first party lineup, including Gran Turismo HD, a upconverted Gran Turismo 4, Formula One 06, The Eye of Judgement, Genji 2, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Fall of Man, Singstar, and Warhawk. Most will be playable at the Electronic Entertainment Expo.

Ken Kutagari, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. introduced the final PS3 controller. The new version will include six-axis sensing capability to allow players to control objects via controller movement without the need for an external sensor.

The motion-sensing feature was a direct response to Nintendo’s Wii remote controller that will include similar capabilities.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i think the cost is gonna kill sony. sure it'll sell out..but 600 is WAY out of normal people's range. i'm a hardcore gamer and even i'm thinking of waiting for a price drop.

i can see sony losing this generation

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
if i buy one or wait for the price to drop will depend on how fast they get out Blu-Ray discs. if there are only a couple movies, ill wait. if they come out like an avalanche of titles ill get it, because the cost of a blu-ray player by itself is almost as much as a PS3.

·
Registered
139 Posts
it's well worth the price considering how many features it will have have. no other system will have what the ps3 has. it'll blow the 360 away. you might be surprised at how many people will fork up that much for a system of the future. a buddy and me are going to wait at a best buy a day in advance to get 2. keep one and sell the other one.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
luckylou07 said:
it's well worth the price considering how many features it will have have. no other system will have what the ps3 has. it'll blow the 360 away. you might be surprised at how many people will fork up that much for a system of the future. a buddy and me are going to wait at a best buy a day in advance to get 2. keep one and sell the other one.
how's it going to blow the 360 away?

from what i've read they're pretty similar. just the PS3 uses Blu-Ray and can output 1080p.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
AlSi said:
how's it going to blow the 360 away?

from what i've read they're pretty similar. just the PS3 uses Blu-Ray and can output 1080p.
Well, let's say...360 Premium nets you:

20GB HDD

Price: $400

Add in HD-DVD:

$550

Add in Wi-Fi:

$650

Add on another 40GB of Storage:

$750.

Still think the PS3 is expensive? Hold on.

Add on the ability to output 1080p...YOU CAN'T (which, also, could mean that the HD-DVD players will cost MORE since the 360 simply is not capable of outputting their native 1080p signal).

So, if you're telling me that the $599 for all of the extras you'll recieve (want them or not) is "over the top" I gotta strongly disagree. Maybe for you, it's not what you need, but as far as net value, it surely beats the hell out of the 360 when compared directly with features and functions.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
$100 for wi-fi? i thought it came w/ wi-fi for 4 controllers

im pretty sure 20GB is more than enough to save games. :p

i dont need 60 measly GB for videos and MP3s, ive got 200GB in my XBMC.

anyway, you know that as soon as the PS3 comes out retailers will make better deals w/ MS and release packages which are similar at a similar price. the only reason it's so expensive now is because it doesnt have competition.

i have suspicion that HD-DVD will be implemented into v1.1 and the upgrade will be for early adopters.

also i never said the PS3 was expensive. i actually said it's priced about right considering the cost of stand-alone blu-ray players.

the 1080p isnt really a killing point imo. it's nice, but how many tv's are 1920x1080? and then how many of them actually have HDMI 1.3 fully implemented? there are only a handful on the market now which even support it. it's great future-proofing, fosho; but what the visual diff is remains to be seen. 1080i if implemented right w/ a tv that has a decent deinterlacer should look pretty identical to 1080p.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tha_con said:
Well, let's say...360 Premium nets you:

20GB HDD

Price: $400

Add in HD-DVD:

$550

Add in Wi-Fi:

$650

Add on another 40GB of Storage:

$750.

Still think the PS3 is expensive? Hold on.

Add on the ability to output 1080p...YOU CAN'T (which, also, could mean that the HD-DVD players will cost MORE since the 360 simply is not capable of outputting their native 1080p signal).

So, if you're telling me that the $599 for all of the extras you'll recieve (want them or not) is "over the top" I gotta strongly disagree. Maybe for you, it's not what you need, but as far as net value, it surely beats the hell out of the 360 when compared directly with features and functions.
Thats the thing though.. sure everything else cost extra but the 360 Premium is a steal. Some people do not need WiFi. Some people do not need over 20GB (WMC, WME PC solves this). Some people could care less for HD-DVD. There are still rumors that the 360 might even drop in price at the time the PS3 drops. Side by side, honestly, the PS3 doesn't really blow the 360 away. 1080p is cool but the points that AlSi made make a lot of sense.

By the time the PS3 gets it's feet wet, the 360 will be in a better position to compete with it. MS could probably upgrade their premium 360 to have a 20+GB HD, built in WiFi, and some other crap. I'm still excited about the PS3 though, but $600 is gonna hurt. :cry

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Only the higher price version comes with an: integrated wi-fi adaptor, memory card reader, digital HD video connection, and the extra 40GB of HD space.

As far as who'll buy what... IMHO "normal" people won't need or appreciate the difference between the lower & higher priced versions. Children might know the differences but most likely won't have the $ to afford a TV set capable of fully making use of the HD playback, etc.

I think I'd seriously consider the lower priced version + a couple games.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The price doesnt really bother me anymore... The thing that bothers me is that the release date is scheduled for the dreaded black friday. :fear :fear :fear :fear

People get hospitalized on that day. I dont want to be hospitalized. I like my limbs right where they are.

I'm actually getting rid of my 360. I havent really used it all that much and with all this awesome pc stuff out... the 360 is just a pricey paperweight.

I may just end up waiting for a 2nd or 3rd shipment of PS3 and though I say that now, I'm sure the hype will own me and I'll be waiting in the same line as the bastards who will beat me to the ground to take my spot.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
^^^ It's not just a console, I suppose different tastes, but it is very much more than "just a console".

Considering it will have upgradeable firmware, I already put it above many future blu-ray players which will not have such capability.

Firm Ware > Life.

Not to mention the Online is Free (content is not). You get what you pay for I suppose.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I suppose, but I am going to wait it out as I don't think that hefty price tag justifies it even with that godly MGS4 trailer, but thats just me. I can afford it just fine, but at that price, it better bring a hooker as well.

Oh yeah, and another reason why I am going to wait it out, is to watch out for the 1st batches that almost always have problems, like disc read errors, in which I still had to pay to get fixed. I learned my lesson this time around... :mad

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
xtremefusion said:
Oh yeah, and another reason why I am going to wait it out, is to watch out for the 1st batches that almost always have problems, like disc read errors, in which I still had to pay to get fixed. I learned my lesson this time around... :mad

amen

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Well, if you buy something that is that expensive and don't get a warrenty, with all do respect, you deserve to buy another one. I never trust a manufacturer warrenty, because they're always hazy. Secondary Extended warrenty for the win.

$80 for two years of peace of mind, plus full replacement benifits = worth it. I'm not waiting.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
when i buy something and treat it right, i expect it to last at least until the next iteration. if it doesnt, that company doesnt receive my business in the future. simple as that.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts