Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
  • All the PS3 games will be on the Blu-ray disc for anti-piracy purpose.
  • The development machine and development kit is now finished.
  • The network service of the PS3 will basically be free, and will be deployed with the release of the console.
  • The CELL processor will be able to implement the 4th dimension (the time???)
  • PS3 will come with a 2.5' 60G HDD as a standard specification.
  • The OS of the PS3 will be Linux.
  • The network service of the PS3 will be in co-operation with GameSpy.
  • PS/PS2 games will be fully supported, plus with much better resolution.
  • Sony will be replenishing the market with 1 million PS3 per month after the release.
source
Overall good news except for the official delay. :mad Fuck it im going to buy a X360 for now. Rumors has it that they may be shipping with a 100Gig drive soon.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
what about PRICE! :confused

PS3 games dont work without a HDD.
upon further reading. its unclear whether sony sill ship the PS3 with HDD built in or as an accessories.

it could pose a problem if theres not enough HDD to go around (shortage) and the HDD is required to play every game on PS3.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
divinewisdom said:
what about PRICE! :confused

PS3 games dont work without a HDD.
upon further reading. its unclear whether sony sill ship the PS3 with HDD built in or as an accessories.

it could pose a problem if theres not enough HDD to go around (shortage) and the HDD is required to play every game on PS3.
an HDD isn't as expensive to manufacture as you think...

And I seriously doubt with all the companies that make 2.5" HDD's that there could ever be any shortage. Sony would just have to hit up Samsung and say "hey, put your HDD's in this shell to they slide into our PS3, kthxbye"

Problem Solved.

Seriously though, I originally thought $399 was the magic number, but now I'm thinking it'll be anywhere between that and $499. I seriously doubt they'd *not* include an HDD. Either that or they will offer a PS3 w/no HDD with multiple sizes available at launch.

I can easily see them selling 20GB and 60GB as options. the 20GB would run them around $50 and a 60GB could retail for around $99.

If Sony did this, they would most likely retail the PS3 for $399 and sell the HDD's seperate. I don't think it's wise, but hey.

Most likely, I think 60GB is a bit farfetched, I'd lean more towards between 30 and 40.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
tha_con said:
an HDD isn't as expensive to manufacture as you think...

And I seriously doubt with all the companies that make 2.5" HDD's that there could ever be any shortage. Sony would just have to hit up Samsung and say "hey, put your HDD's in this shell to they slide into our PS3, kthxbye"

Problem Solved.

Seriously though, I originally thought $399 was the magic number, but now I'm thinking it'll be anywhere between that and $499. I seriously doubt they'd *not* include an HDD. Either that or they will offer a PS3 w/no HDD with multiple sizes available at launch.

I can easily see them selling 20GB and 60GB as options. the 20GB would run them around $50 and a 60GB could retail for around $99.

If Sony did this, they would most likely retail the PS3 for $399 and sell the HDD's seperate. I don't think it's wise, but hey.

Most likely, I think 60GB is a bit farfetched, I'd lean more towards between 30 and 40.
i too think they are shooting for the $499 price, with a $599 or $699 package.

if they do offer the HDD as optional. lets all team up and buy all the HDD and sell it on e-bay. haha make lots of money.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
$499?? $599??

Anyone else think that is a stupid high price?

All the goods sound great and all but damn that's high!

Those are like Neo Geo and 3DO System Prices when they first hit the market and that was well over 10-15 years ago!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
More PS3 Details

In what has already been a very busy day for Playstation 3 enthusiasts everywhere, a few more details have been announced regarding this prestigious machine from SCE's president Ken Kutaragi besides the November launch date. Among other things, the first official pricing details have been talked about declaring that the PS3 will be no less than 50,000.00 JP YEN, which converts to roughly $425 USD. If this is true, the core PS3 will cost more than the Premium Xbox 360 at launch, and there's even a possibility that this value is a little on the low side.

As previously mentioned, the 60GB HDD will support Linux much like Playstation 2. The hard drive will be upgradable (for a fee, of course) and it can even act as a wireless access point for the PSP. Not only can it be used as a Location Free Player so you can watch your favorite shows from anywhere in your house, but it's looking like files can be stored on the hard drive and also streamed. Once the PSP receives its Macromedia Flash Player update, it might be possible to play these games directly off of the PS3.

While the delay was caused mostly due to the Blu-ray copy protection issues, Kutaragi also noted that the PS3 will support the most recent HDMI connections, which will allow for higher frame rates and sharper colors. Fortunately, it will be compatible with all types of TVs, not just HDTVs, so gamers who are already going to suffer from its hefty price tag don't have too much to worry about.

Sony's answer to Xbox Live is the 'Playstation Network Platform', which will provide the basic essentials that any online service should have. Sony Online Entertainment and Gamespy will work together to make this available, and while the basic service will be free there are still plenty of opportunities for you to spend some cash. Shops within each game might even be setup where people can purchase online content with actual money, but hopefully Sony will deliver free demos for games as well.

Sony plan's on replenishing the market with 1 million PS3s each month with a total of 6 million units by the end of March worldwide (sound familiar?), and if they can actually manage to live up to these numbers the shortages shouldn't be horrible. Still, not all of these console will be released in the US on launch day, and like any other launch spanning over three continents, you can expect to see fights breaking out at storefronts and outrageous prices on eBay. Although it seems like a long time to wait, it won't be long before PS3 owners will be entering the 4th dimension!

source

So we are looking at a price of at least $425 :eek: probably $450 here in the states.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
210rida said:
In what has already been a very busy day for Playstation 3 enthusiasts everywhere, a few more details have been announced regarding this prestigious machine from SCE's president Ken Kutaragi besides the November launch date. Among other things, the first official pricing details have been talked about declaring that the PS3 will be no less than 50,000.00 JP YEN, which converts to roughly $425 USD. If this is true, the core PS3 will cost more than the Premium Xbox 360 at launch, and there's even a possibility that this value is a little on the low side.

As previously mentioned, the 60GB HDD will support Linux much like Playstation 2. The hard drive will be upgradable (for a fee, of course) and it can even act as a wireless access point for the PSP. Not only can it be used as a Location Free Player so you can watch your favorite shows from anywhere in your house, but it's looking like files can be stored on the hard drive and also streamed. Once the PSP receives its Macromedia Flash Player update, it might be possible to play these games directly off of the PS3.

While the delay was caused mostly due to the Blu-ray copy protection issues, Kutaragi also noted that the PS3 will support the most recent HDMI connections, which will allow for higher frame rates and sharper colors. Fortunately, it will be compatible with all types of TVs, not just HDTVs, so gamers who are already going to suffer from its hefty price tag don't have too much to worry about.

Sony's answer to Xbox Live is the 'Playstation Network Platform', which will provide the basic essentials that any online service should have. Sony Online Entertainment and Gamespy will work together to make this available, and while the basic service will be free there are still plenty of opportunities for you to spend some cash. Shops within each game might even be setup where people can purchase online content with actual money, but hopefully Sony will deliver free demos for games as well.

Sony plan's on replenishing the market with 1 million PS3s each month with a total of 6 million units by the end of March worldwide (sound familiar?), and if they can actually manage to live up to these numbers the shortages shouldn't be horrible. Still, not all of these console will be released in the US on launch day, and like any other launch spanning over three continents, you can expect to see fights breaking out at storefronts and outrageous prices on eBay. Although it seems like a long time to wait, it won't be long before PS3 owners will be entering the 4th dimension!

source

So we are looking at a price of at least $425 :eek: probably $450 here in the states.
That's pushing it. Of course the grown up tech gurus will get it but those who depend on their parents to buy them shit....well....let's just say there will be alot of broken hearts on Christmas day.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
jessecrx said:
$499?? $599??

Anyone else think that is a stupid high price?

All the goods sound great and all but damn that's high!

Those are like Neo Geo and 3DO System Prices when they first hit the market and that was well over 10-15 years ago!
wow thats too much...i was thinking 350 would be an ok price...shit remember back when nintendo was 125.99 :p

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i'll definitly be buyign two of these...oen to keep...and one to sell on ebay and make twice my money back to pay for teh otehr one i bought...

someone should let everyoen knwo when they start taking preorders at eb and gamestop cuz i will definitly be getting 2

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
I myself was selfishly hoping for DualShock news. :eek: I wanted to see more info on the configuration of the "boomerang" controller. :eek:
agreed... still no word on what's going to happen w/ the overall design of the control, perhaps we'll find out at E3.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.