Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5th gen prelude and each times when the car almost comes to a stop the brakes pulsates until it reaches 0 mph. Is this normal? Is it caused by ABS?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Are you saying that when you put your foot on the brake pedal, it pulsates? If so, you've got a warped rotor (or rotors) somewhere. If you're saying that when you SLAM on the brakes, it pulstates; then you need to lay off the brake pedal because you're stomping it so hard that the ABS kicks in. If you have to push the pedal down that hard to stop, then you've got some SERIOUS pad issues or you lost the master cylinder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
then i think i got a warped rotor, because I didn't slam the brakes, I only brake gentley until it stops. The Brakes don't pulsate until it slows to 10-0 mph, anything higher than that and its fine. How can I tell I got warped rotors?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
i suki said:
then i think i got a warped rotor, because I didn't slam the brakes, I only brake gentley until it stops. The Brakes don't pulsate until it slows to 10-0 mph, anything higher than that and its fine. How can I tell I got warped rotors?
Easy...jack up your car so the wheels are off the ground (one at a time), then turn each wheel with your hand. If it doesn't turn smoothly all the way around-or if you need to apply more force when it is in a certain area you have warped rotors.

·
Registered
148 Posts
are you applying more pressure when you get down 10mph? does it happen every time?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ss2001dl said:
are you applying more pressure when you get down 10mph? does it happen every time?
uh no not really........I may need to rephrase this to make it sound more clear but..so....the problem is that each time I brake my car it pulsates, not the brake pedal, but the car itself it would jolt a few times before it comes to a complete stop. Another probelm is when I'm going 80 mph on the freeway, the steering wheel would shake violently when I get on the brakes, the harder you press it the more violently it shakes.

·
Registered
603 Posts
i suki said:
Another probelm is when I'm going 80 mph on the freeway, the steering wheel would shake violently when I get on the brakes, the harder you press it the more violently it shakes.
That sounds more like warped rotors to me. When the car is cold you should be able to run your fingers over the rotor surface, if you feel any deep indentations you have warped rotors.

·
Registered
388 Posts
yeah, you can resurface them, or buy new. You can get stock sized Brembo rotors, or just plain ole parts store kind. I guess they are 60$ a piece.?.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
this is the exact problem im having, and its getting to be a bit scary comming home from school in rush hour traffic. if i need to use the brakes suddenly my steering wheel shakes so violently it looks like its trying to break off from the colum.

what did you say is 60 bucks? plain rotors, or brembo blanks? i might aswell get brembo blanks if im gona replace em. chances are both of us would just need to replace the front rotors correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mike1627 said:
That sounds more like warped rotors to me. When the car is cold you should be able to run your fingers over the rotor surface, if you feel any deep indentations you have warped rotors.
I didn't feel any identations, but I do see a really small thin line around the rotor, I MEAN REALLY THIN. This only applies to the front two rotors right? Can the alingment and wheel balancing be part of the prob?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Arizona Steve said:
this is the exact problem im having, and its getting to be a bit scary comming home from school in rush hour traffic. if i need to use the brakes suddenly my steering wheel shakes so violently it looks like its trying to break off from the colum.

what did you say is 60 bucks? plain rotors, or brembo blanks? i might aswell get brembo blanks if im gona replace em. chances are both of us would just need to replace the front rotors correct?
I was guessing on plain rotors. But we are sponsored by these guys, go here......
I think I remember Mikesho said he was getting Brembo blanks... I think?

http://www.importrp.com/catalog.php?subcat=11&year=31&type=82&subcat1=Brake+Rotors&subcat_id=11

Not too bad of a price eh.

Before you buy anything, check your lug nuts and make sure your wheel weights didn't fall off. You know just check little things that are free first.
I don't know where you live, but if there is alot of snow or ice laying in your wheel, it feels like it's gonna fall off too.

·
Registered
603 Posts
i suki said:
Can the alingment and wheel balancing be part of the prob?
Not likely but not impossible either. Since your problems only occur during braking chances are it uneven rotors or even the pads. Did you check the back of the rotors too or just the front? If it were a wheel/tire problem (bent rim, over-round tires, bad wheel balance, etc.) you would notice vibrations during regular driving as well, especially at highway speeds.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have a 4th generation 92 accord....4dr ex and i have just got the same question...

i don't think that it is the brake rotors because...my steering wheel doesn't vibrate violently....but at slow speeds of 15 to zero....the abs feels liek its kicking in, but it is very weak....but never the less very scary

tomorrow...i will check to make sure that the rotors aren't warped...

i suki said:

·
Registered
115 Posts
i suki said:
I have a 5th gen prelude and each times when the car almost comes to a stop the brakes pulsates until it reaches 0 mph. Is this normal? Is it caused by ABS?
my 4th gen does the same thing and i am almost positive its the rotors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts