I have a '95 Del Sol. Here are the issues:
- interior/exterior lights pulse with engine
- both high beams are not working
- chirping sound
- engine pulse/rev sound constant at idle and on the road
- went through a battery within one year
- had the alternator replaced (rebuilt) less than a year ago
- replaced battery this week
- diagnostics run (result: no problems registering)
- replaced spark plugs
- alternator tested (out) result: no problems

There use to be a lot on this car (alarm, remote start, sound system, etc) but most was taken off before we bought it.

I don't know if it is a ground problem, alternator problem, electrical (lighting) wiring problem. I need to know what direction most likely to start with or if you have had this problem please let me know. Thanks!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to check that this weekend. I bought an auto multimeter. I had noticed with my old multimeter, which recently crapped out on me, that there seemed to be a problem with it not grounding out but could never pin point where. Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

· Registered
478 Posts
Yeah I'd check the resistance on some of your ground cables. Also for some of the intermittent problems you'll want to get one of cheap old volt meters with a needle. A lot of the digital ones don't update fast enough but with the analog meters you can see a twitch in the needle. You could also try the dealership. They'd probably turn up something in the first hour of diag just make sure that they agree to cover any repairs that don't solve the problem.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the new battery is almost drained. The battery light came on. I checked for shorts and I just can't pin point the issue. I'm taking it to Honda for electrical diagnostics tomorrow. I will let you know what the conclusion is.
Thanks for all the help.

· Registered
478 Posts
I'm betting they put an alternator in.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Considering pulsing lights is not a result of a bad charge or batteyr, Im guessing your problem is a short or a shitty ground. I just replaced my tranny to chassis ground and my car almost feels young again. Idles a lil lower and smoother, lights are brighter, and instead of my dash lights dimming really bad when teh blower fan is turned on, they only dim a lil.

GROUND GROUND GROUND :lol

· Registered
478 Posts
If his alternator voltage regulator is faulty then it will cause the lights to fluctuate. But It could also be a bad ground. If its constantly doing it I would say that its charging system related and if it is intermittent then check the ground wires. If you have HIDs then the inverters are bad. And if it only happens when your radio is turned up then you need a cap.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
If his alternator voltage regulator is faulty then it will cause the lights to fluctuate. But It could also be a bad ground. If its constantly doing it I would say that its charging system related and if it is intermittent then check the ground wires. If you have HIDs then the inverters are bad. And if it only happens when your radio is turned up then you need a cap.
my roomate had this problem with his audi.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really feel it's a short to ground somewhere. It's crazy though. If the windshield wipers, head lights, air conditioning, and radio are on, the pulsating stops. Turn one of those things off and it starts up again.
Maybe there is multiple issues but a short seems to explain this and everything else. Looking at the schematics, a short to ground at the left front engine compartment is where it most likely is. However, I'm a trained aircraft electrician and I could be way off. Is it supposed to be painted where it grounds? It's the manufacturing paint so I must assume it is correct but it goes against everything I've learned about grounding out...it should be on metal, not painted metal. What are your thoughts on this?

· Registered
10,346 Posts
tranny=chassis ground is a critical ground. The bolt itself helps grounding, so its not absolutely necessary to remove the paint, but its a good idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.