Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster long time looker, I have a 94 EX with the D16Z6 and a problem of my car sputtering, it's only when the car is in a gear too high (around a corner in second or up hills(plenty of them in Pittsburgh)) I changed the wires and thats when the problem started, I an not sure what I need to get if I get an MSD ignition or even how to put it all in, Anyone know? All help is great.
:bh

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure what they are, I got them at Pepboys(That could be my first problem) but they are 9.3mm and so I think maybe they are just too big,
The car also has over 150K on it, do I need a new ignition?

·
Registered
252 Posts
you might have some water in you gas tank too, my friend has a hatch that does the same thing and that is his problem.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
kommon_sense said:
why asking about a new ignition? troubleshoot first... old wires, no problem.. new wires, got a problem... I'd throw the old wires back on.

i concur... you may have simply used inferior wires...

if the old ones still cause the sputtering, check the plugs... try to avoid replacing the ignition unless ur sure that it is a problem

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the wires where replaced because one of the old wires was dry rotted, I am actually going on a job interview at a Honda dealer in a couple hours, maybe if I get it I will buy some wires, about the water in the gas tank, what should I do? is there an additive or do I need to do something else? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
sometimes new/shitty wires dont clip in properly. or they do but after a short time they pop out causing your car not to run on all 4 cyl.
make sure they're all pushed in.
and get yourself some better cables than those crappy pepboys ones, either stock honda wires from the dealer, ngk, or magnecore.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
B18C5CRX4ME said:
about the water in the gas tank, what should I do? is there an additive or do I need to do something else? Thanks for your help
don't get ahead of yourself. you don't know that water in the tank is the problem yet. Handles those wires first.

·
Registered
478 Posts
that is one of the least likly scenario's.

check cables, check spak plug gap, check rotar and distributer cap terminals. use sandpaper to freshen them up if they look corroded until your able to buy a new one. then check to see that your ignition timing is not to far advanced, as it will cause a hesisitation if youve gone to far upon certain rpms/throttle loads during "around town" driveing.

msdignition.com has all the parts youll need if you wish to go that route, the msd cap with the external coil adapter are a good price considering the price of a new one.

realistically, you should figure out the problem first before trying to throw performance parts at the problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
B18C5CRX4ME said:
a problem of my car sputtering, it's only when the car is in a gear too high (around a corner in second or up hills.
from this statment it sounds like the gas has water in it and is sloshing around when he goes around a corner.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i agree with kommon with the brands. my dad told me that even though you can put a wide variety of spark plugs into a car, they dont last as long the car doesnt accept them or something. i guess that same idea may apply with the wires. i guess what im trying to get at is use the brand that the car came with or the NGK's. dont know if that helps prolly not but what the hell.

·
Registered
478 Posts
<--recently in the last year switched to champion plugs.

i use to be the "ngk plug" guy all the way for these cars too..

then i learned a few things about how they resist heat.

The stock honda wires are still tough to beat if you havent beefed up the ignition system with a 6a/SCI msd box.

i will also say that i can speak from experience about using the external msd type coils on these cars, nice quick starts and a few MPG's over the internal coil, also cheaper to replace when they go out in your crx =)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I will try the connections on the wires on both ends, I have cleaned out the cap and cleaned up the rotor, I will try the anti water trick also, I will read the directions first to make sure the stuff will not hurt the engine if there is no water.
Thanks for the help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts