Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I for one am getting tired of people asking how they can get engine x in car y. So I figured I would through together this little article. Feel free to add anything you want.

For starters if you have enough money any swap is possible. For instance: YES you can put a S2k engine in a Civic.... but it would be extremley expensive. For that matter you could fit any engine into any car with enough money. So this article is mainly going to outline engine swaps within the Honda/Acura family...

Civics/Integra: The basic rule of thumb for Civic/teg swaps is: All d-series & b-series engines fit into all 88+ Civics without any special mounting kit. Some swaps require master cylinder relocation but as far as motor mounts everything lines right up.
H22a into Civic/teg:
-Can it be done? Yes.
-What are the disadvantages? If you have stock suspension this swap isnt reccomended. The h22a is about 140lbs heavier than your stock engine, so stock suspension probally wont do. Unless of course you enjoy understeer! ;)
-What do I need to fit the h22a into my civic/teg? You need an aftermarket mounting kit from a company like hasport(hasport.com). This basically re-locates your motor mounts so the h22a can fit.
-Can I keep my a/c and p/s? Not very easily. Again there are kits that allow you to keep your a/c and p/s but without these your basically screwed(unless you want to fabricate your own kit).
-Can I still autocross w/ an h22a motor in my civic/teg? Of course but it wont handle as it would if you had a b/d series engine. This unless you invest in a full-coilover kit or some extremly nice suspension.
-What about axles? If you plan on drag racing constantly w/ the h22a in your civic you better plan on buying some beffy axles. Raxle(raxle.com) makes some of the best aftermarket axles, driveshaftshop(.com) is also a good source for aftermarket axles. If you dont want to invest in aftermarket axles 90-93 integra axles will work.
F-series engines into Civics/tegs:
-Can I fit a f-series engine into my civ/teg? Yes. You need to buy the kit for mounting a h series into civics/integras.
-What are the advantages? I cant really think of any. :p
-What are the disadvantages? MAY throw off wieght dist. a LITTLE but nothing major.

I will update this thread when I have more time... Feel free to help me out by contributing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could you please confirm about the swap between the d series engine and the b series engine.

Because I actually have and EK3 civic with a D15z engine in it and I would like to know if I can fit a B16a first gen engine into it. I would like to know especially about the mountings and the drive shaft.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
would it be crazy to get a h22 and mate it with a f22 tranny then turbo? my reasoning for the f22 tranny is it's longer gear ratios. but i hear the f22 tranny sucks in quality and will be worn out fast.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kim said:
Could you please confirm about the swap between the d series engine and the b series engine.

Because I actually have and EK3 civic with a D15z engine in it and I would like to know if I can fit a B16a first gen engine into it. I would like to know especially about the mountings and the drive shaft.

Thanks
Yes, you can mount a B series car in your Civic. BUT, it would be more difficult to mount a first gen B16 because that engine is equipped with a cable tranny opposed to your car which was originally equipped w/ a hydro tranny. So you can buy a master cylinder relocation kit from hasport.com or get a B16a2 or B16a3. Everything else is a straight bolt in.
www.hondamotorsonline.com sells b16a2's for about $2500 and that is the complete changeover which means you'll need NOTHING extra.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
krskid1 said:
would it be crazy to get a h22 and mate it with a f22 tranny then turbo? my reasoning for the f22 tranny is it's longer gear ratios. but i hear the f22 tranny sucks in quality and will be worn out fast.
No it wouldnt be 'crazy' to do that. Its actually pretty common but most people tend to rebuild the f22 tranny because its not able to handle what a turbocharged engine gives it. My brother has an accord w/ an f22 and its one of the worst trannys to deal with. This isnt to say its HORRIBLE but the 2nd gear syncros do go out pretty quickly.
If your planning running a low amount of boost w/ the f22 tranny than its no problem but if your going to be boosting A LOT then I'd reccomend getting the f22 tranny re-built or using a different transmission.

-hjh.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
interesting, so with your honest opinion, would it be better to use a h22 or f22 re-built tranny for turbo? for the rebuilding of the f22 tranny, would a regular tranny shop do this? costwise, which is more? and one more question, this is going in a 96 civic, would both shift linkages work and which is better for my application? sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
there is a 450hp turbo f22 engined/trannied accord using a stock tranny without problems. i also sold my f22 tranny to a guy that was building a turbo h22a civic. i have been told that power wise most honda 5 spds in B an F/H series will handle up to round 500 hp without problems if you dont abuse them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
v4lu3s said:
there is a 450hp turbo f22 engined/trannied accord using a stock tranny without problems. i also sold my f22 tranny to a guy that was building a turbo h22a civic. i have been told that power wise most honda 5 spds in B an F/H series will handle up to round 500 hp without problems if you dont abuse them.
why????????

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Do you have specific numbers for the weights of an H22a and a B18B or B18C?

I have heard to many "they about x much heavier"

It would be nice if we could have some solid numbers to crunch.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
does anyone know where that chart from SCC is? that's a pretty good resource for gauging swap difficulty.

just a thought.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I heard that you have to use an aftermarket hood or an SiR hood for a b18c1/R swap into an EF chassis which makes sense as the b18 sits higher than the d16, but I also heard that you'll also need an SiR headlight/bumper conversion? Is that true and is there any other way around it than doing an SiR conversion?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
the b17a1 is a pretty uncommon engine anyway...

and they sure do have the b18b

B18B Change Over - 94-01 (Integra ES/LS) Complete Change Over
145Hp 9.5 Compression(JDM) 142Hp 9.2 Compression(USDM)
$ 2200.00 Plus shipping and handling

they dont have the b18a as its not a sought after swap.

·
Registered
111 Posts
On the F22 transmission: The Accord Trans is a crusing trans - not for drag racing, wide spaced gear ratios. One one website, either Quaife or Phantom Grip, the F22 has the same numbers as the trans used in D series and ZC (I think), so its a lighter duty trans. I'm going to use the h22 trans in my Accord for that reason. Any one using Phantom Grip??? Only $300.00!

On B series motors in Ludes and Cords - not enough torque to haul the pork. You'll be revving and slipping the clutch.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.