Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a problem? im putttin in my arp rod bolts and im wondering wether or not i should take the engine out to do it? im on a time limmit some what, and i was wondering if its possible to put in the rod bolts safely without risking damage to the engine?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Why are you putting in just rod bolts????

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im puttin the rod bolts in b/c im doing an ls/vtec and the rod bolts are just in case summin goes wrong with the rev limiter on my msd, but im only planning on running the car to 7400 rpm b/c it is a stock bottom end with only a block gaurd & arp rod bolts

·
Registered
104 Posts
if you just put the rod bolts on they wil change the big end rod size. So if you are gonna put arp rod bolts in you have to pull the rods out and have them resized afterwards. Ive seen a couple people get away with just throwing them in, but regardless of what anyone says, the rods will change size.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
sponsored1 said:
if you just put the rod bolts on they wil change the big end rod size. So if you are gonna put arp rod bolts in you have to pull the rods out and have them resized afterwards. Ive seen a couple people get away with just throwing them in, but regardless of what anyone says, the rods will change size.
How will putting in new bolts end up resizing the big end of the rod?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
spray004 said:
How will putting in new bolts end up resizing the big end of the rod?

the big ends are machined out with a specific bolt in them at a specific torque level with a specific torque down procedure. when you replace those rod bolts with a different grade of hardware you are changing the stretch characteristics from when it was machined and also changing the overall torque down from when it was originally machined. things start to bow or warp most of the time.

i had to have this done to my main caps when i had my main studs installed.

just make sure you plastigauge the bearings before you go out reving the piss out of it. and make sure everything spins freely. and cross your fingers. oh and make sure you use the moly the gave you...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if im gonna have to take out the rods im just gonna rebuild the bottom end w/ itr pistons and rebuild it............. but i didnt want to do that b/c i want that head on but i guess im gonna have to wait till i get the money for the rebuild

1 - 9 of 9 Posts