Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the stock cam profiles for the b18a/b. has anyone ever had a regrind done by deltacams? i know they do regrinds for the sohc, but was wondering if anyone has had their dohc done by them. delta said that they make 260 and 272 regrind, are these profiles good for decent power gains?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I had a list of every B18A/B cam spec, stock and aftermarket, that a certain moderator said he'd post up if I made it.... but since that hasn't been posted since I gave it to him a year ago and reminded him of it twice.... and I don't have the list on this computer, I had to fish around to find the specs:

Stock B18B:
Advertised duration: 220 / 222 deg IN/EX
Gross lift: .395 / .380" IN/EX

Regrinds are nasty and should definitely be avoided. Only Crane and Crower make billet cams for the B18A/B, and IMO Crower is decidedly better. In my mind it's pointless to go cheap and nasty with a regrind when new billet cams from Crower are only about $360/pair. Yes, a pair.

260-272 degrees is a LOT, and for a non-VTEC should really be used for a track-only racer. You'll need to rev quite high (redline around 8500rpm) and have high compression to get power out of those, and you'll have very little low and midrange - much less than with stock cams. For reference, Crower's Stage 3 62404s really start to shine at 6k rpm and want a redline of about 8k, they don't idle well even after tuning and you lose some low-end power. Those are 249/251 duration cams.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know that gude and jg use regrinds but haven't heard anyting bad about them. the guy from delta said that the 260 grind was more streetable and the 272 was more for the strip. would both profiles see more top end power though since there would be loss on the low and mid end? i know regrinds are cheap, but i have heard of them lasting pretty long.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts