Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have enough money to buy either of these motors, but I don't know which one to get. I own a 95' Honda Civic HB DX (its in my signiture). I use this car as a daily driver; going on longer trips on average 10 times a year. An accasional weekend street race. Once in a blue moon I go auto-cross. What would you go with, if you were in my shoes?

·
Registered
169 Posts
wow you must be rich to be able to afford the k20 swap :wow it it were me and i could afford it, k20, just because it has a lot of potential,and a head that flows oh so much better than the b18. both are great swaps though and will ultimately make you a very happy man if you go through with them. b18 is a lot easier swap btw

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
99accordhaws said:
wow you must be rich to be able to afford the k20 swap :wow it it were me and i could afford it, k20, just because it has a lot of potential,and a head that flows oh so much better than the b18. both are great swaps though and will ultimately make you a very happy man if you go through with them. b18 is a lot easier swap btw
The motor and tranny I can get for about $5,500 and My friends and I can install it, so that doesn't costs anything. The Hasport motor mounts cost about $600.00 and I could possibly get them discounted, so I'm only looking at $6,100.00, it's like 6 months worth of work. Right now my car is my only expense. I live with my parents. Call me a loser, but it saves me on things like this. :eek:

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Putney said:
The motor and tranny I can get for about $5,500 and My friends and I can install it, so that doesn't costs anything. The Hasport motor mounts cost about $600.00 and I could possibly get them discounted, so I'm only looking at $6,100.00, it's like 6 months worth of work. Right now my car is my only expense. I live with my parents. Call me a loser, but it saves me on things like this. :eek:
Expect to spend $8-9k on the k20 swap... Other items you haven't listed

- fpr
- fuel lines
- hondata k-pro
- karcepts shifter mount kit
- fuel rail
- fuel pump
- new header
- clutch line

That is over $2k worth of stuff in that short list...

The b18c5 is an easier and cheaper swap. However the k20 will perform better. However the k20 is not a project to be taken lightly. If you do not do your homework you can end up in way over your head.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kommon_sense said:
Expect to spend $8-9k on the k20 swap... Other items you haven't listed
- fpr
- fuel lines
- hondata k-pro
- karcepts shifter mount kit
- fuel rail
- fuel pump
- new header
- clutch line
That is over $2k worth of stuff in that short list...
The b18c5 is an easier and cheaper swap. However the k20 will perform better. However the k20 is not a project to be taken lightly. If you do not do your homework you can end up in way over your head.
Is this all I need or is there a lot more. I really like the K, but if the B would be easier than I might go with that instead. Whats the major differences between the two motors?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
basically the c5 would be good for just swapping and dropping in, but the k20 needs all those extra parts listed, also new axels. its more of a custom job, there are that many that would be able to help you if you run into a snag. i personally would swap to a b18c5. the extra hp from the k20 can be made up with the money you saved from the swap.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
biggest difference is the head design(the k faces the "wrong" way) also the K is i-VTEC not vtec, it basicly has the old vtec but then added onto that it also has VTC (making tuning that much hardser) it is basicly a computer controled cam gear to make ideal tq at all rpm.

so to tune a k20 is insane

a/f for high low cam
timing for high low cam
and then cam timing intake and exhaust throught the RPM band.

thats just a retarded amount of data flowing throught the computer at all times but this gives you a geat powerband.

b18 has a sort of on/of switch with its vtec.

and of course the crossed 6 speed with the k20 vs the b18 5 speed which tops out at roughly 140mph, where he k20 can go alot faster.

but yea I vote go out with the old and in with the new :) the k20 is a masterpice of engeniring.

The b18 WAS an awesome engine for its day but now its the K's day!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow thats a lot of info I didn't know, I'm glad I asked. Maybe I'll wait til I have more money, so I can do everything you have all talked about.

I have a separate question, whats a B18C; I know the B18C1 is a US GSR, but whats a B18C?

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
Putney said:
Wow thats a lot of info I didn't know, I'm glad I asked. Maybe I'll wait til I have more money, so I can do everything you have all talked about.

I have a separate question, whats a B18C; I know the B18C1 is a US GSR, but whats a B18C?
the usdm uses b18c1 for gsr and b18c5 for type R. in japan it's all just b18c for engine codes.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WVU97GS-R said:
the usdm uses b18c1 for gsr and b18c5 for type R. in japan it's all just b18c for engine codes.
So the B18C just means it's a JDM motor, but what car did it come out of. The reason I ask, is because my buddy has one in his 1996 Integra Limited, and he shifts at 7.5K and it sure feels like it has a lot of power, it's been Dynoed at 220 with and exhaust, 4-1 headers, CAI, and MSD ignition system.
Is there a way to find out what car it came from?

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
Putney said:
So the B18C just means it's a JDM motor, but what car did it come out of. The reason I ask, is because my buddy has one in his 1996 Integra Limited, and he shifts at 7.5K and it sure feels like it has a lot of power, it's been Dynoed at 220 with and exhaust, 4-1 headers, CAI, and MSD ignition system.
Is there a way to find out what car it came from?
look at the valve cover and the IM. or just look at the pistons. but the integra jdm integra b18c makes 180ish hp. while the jdm makes between 200-210 depending on where you look. if it's a single stage Mani than it's a ITR if it's a dual stage than it's a GSR

·
Registered
43 Posts
220 horsepower at the wheels wtf header cai and msd=40 hp ????
no stock integra engine puts out 200-210 the jdm itr i saw dynoed put 178 to the wheels.ive never seen a jdm gsr dynoed but id bet it puts 150 horsepower to the wheels.the type r engine is twice as much for 28 more horsepower.a gsr with comp cams (450 dollars) will be close to the type r.well who am i kidding the type r will blow the gsr away if you have the money get the type r .good luck with the swap

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
HONDACRXSI said:
220 horsepower at the wheels wtf header cai and msd=40 hp ????
no stock integra engine puts out 200-210 the jdm itr i saw dynoed put 178 to the wheels.ive never seen a jdm gsr dynoed but id bet it puts 150 horsepower to the wheels.the type r engine is twice as much for 28 more horsepower.a gsr with comp cams (450 dollars) will be close to the type r.well who am i kidding the type r will blow the gsr away if you have the money get the type r .good luck with the swap
flywheel hp 220 i think he means. and not totally unbelievable with a type R motor

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
It really all depends on what you want to do. a k-series is much more expensive than a b-series. However if you try to build the b-series to perform as well as a stock k-series, then you will end up spending practically the same amount of money as you would have if you had just gone k-series to begin with.

Its the same argument that b-series and d-series folks have had for years.

The k is a better motor... hands down... Whether or not it is right for you depends on your budget and goals. Considering how much a b-series type-r motor costs, I just can't justify spending that type of money on a b-series motor...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.