Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i came across a 94 dx hatch 5 speed at work and as the lady was filling/ checking the oil level i asked her if she was planning on selling. anyways the car has 120,000 miles on the odo and as far as damage theres only a slight rust spot above the rear right wheel well. she says shes first owner, and that theres been no accidents, and seeing how she takes good care of the engine I would assume it's worth the $3200 asking price.

My mom's bf thinks otherwise, he says that there's no way an engine has over 100k+ miles on it and does not require $1000s of repairs to run properly. Is this true? Aren't the d-series famous for their longevity where they last even to the 200,000 miles mark? i'd like to prove him wrong, what is the truth about the d-series?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Any Honda motor can easily last that long if it's had at least a moderate amount of maintenance. My '92 DX (D15B7) has almost 200,000 miles on it and runs like a champ and I haven't put much into it at all. Just routine oil changes and tuneups. I don't forsee myself spending anywhere near even $1000 for repairs before it trips 300,000 miles.

The D series is great for longevity. At 120,000 miles it's still a baby. It's got a long way to go on it. In fact, with an odometer reading like that on a '94 it's still got plenty of value left to Honda enthusiasts like us.

I don't say any of this as a Honda fan. I'm stating facts. Hondas last forever.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
98 civic d16y8. abused. installed new tranny w/clutch last summer. 150,xxx on the odometer. no major mechanical problems other than routine maintainence crap. cracked exhaust mani (cheap $100 fix). replaced some rusted exhast pipes (due to age/road salt). replaced timing belt at about 115-120,000.

d series engines if taken decent care of will last a great while. just inquire to what recent maintainence has been done since 80-100,000 miles. (valve adjustment & timing belt specifically)

·
Registered
246 Posts
sellin a 92 cx w/ d15b8 with 215000 and runs fairly strong<75 hp.> my 2000 civic has 113000 and i am the 1 owner on it and my 96 d16y8 has 130000 and all have no mechanical problems due to age maybe a leak or 2 on the 92 but it doesnt smoke or nuthin even my 2k civic w/ head swap smokes but the lil hatchback that could is runnin strong at 215000. and what.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
in the d-series world 1000 bucks is a new d15b vtec JDM engine with tranny and ecu and thats with a few hundred bucks left over. My friend owns a 91 CRX with a D and it has a D with 215k runs GREAT pulls nice and doesnt moke, you can barrely tell its runing its DEAD smooth

tell that guy its a honda not a ford and laugh at him,doesnt seem like a bad deal at all. all you will need is plugs,wires,rotor,cap,t-belt,waterpump,and a valve adjustment.

all of which cost around 275 dollars all together if you do it your seld of course :).

if you buy parts and go to dealer around 600

·
Registered
719 Posts
speedjunky01 said:
tell that guy its a honda not a ford and laugh at him,doesnt seem like a bad deal at all. all you will need is plugs,wires,rotor,cap,t-belt,waterpump,and a valve adjustment.

iagree...

i have disasembled honda engines with WAY more miles than 120xxx on them and badly abused, they barely had a ridge at hte top of the cylinder.. iwould buy with confidence and maybe do a compression test...........honda engines are tough little bastards :D

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
ek9wannabe said:
iagree...

i have disasembled honda engines with WAY more miles than 120xxx on them and badly abused, they barely had a ridge at hte top of the cylinder.. iwould buy with confidence and maybe do a compression test...........honda engines are tough little bastards :D
lol anyone see the vid where they ttry to blow up a d15? replaced oil with water and lett it bounce off revlimiter for 10 minutes,finaly died after that.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6168813059784281234&q=honda+engine

·
Registered
719 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts

Most american engineering that went into most domestic engines just can't compare to japanese engineering and it shows. How many domestics do you see in the junkyard with over 200k on them and still have the original engine/trans? $3200 is a bit steep for a 92 with rust and over 100k on it though. I wouldn't spend over $1500 on it unless the body was ZERO on rust underneath and on the top. You can pick up 97's and 98's around here for $3500-4000 with 80-90k on them with no visible rust.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
98 civic d16y8. abused. installed new tranny w/clutch last summer. 150,xxx on the odometer. no major mechanical problems other than routine maintainence crap. cracked exhaust mani (cheap $100 fix). replaced some rusted exhast pipes (due to age/road salt). replaced timing belt at about 115-120,000.

d series engines if taken decent care of will last a great while. just inquire to what recent maintainence has been done since 80-100,000 miles. (valve adjustment & timing belt specifically)
same here. 98 civic d16y8 with 146k on the odometer. still chugging along just fine. Civics last a long time if properly cared for.

However at 120k, its time to change the headgasket. Also the water pump and timing belt should have been changed at 90k. So you are looking at $700-1000 worth of work if they haven't been done already. If you can do the work yourself, then you are looking at about $150 in parts. Maybe $250 if you do a full tune up at the same time.

Regardless, I don't think that a 94 dx hatch w/120k is worth $3200.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1994/honda/civic/4118/options.html

nope... its not...

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
kommon_sense said:
same here. 98 civic d16y8 with 146k on the odometer. still chugging along just fine. Civics last a long time if properly cared for.

However at 120k, its time to change the headgasket. Also the water pump and timing belt should have been changed at 90k. So you are looking at $700-1000 worth of work if they haven't been done already. If you can do the work yourself, then you are looking at about $150 in parts. Maybe $250 if you do a full tune up at the same time.

Regardless, I don't think that a 94 dx hatch w/120k is worth $3400.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1994/honda/civic/4118/options.html

nope... its not...
head gasket need to be changed at 120,000? damn.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I know it wasn't a D, but my old Prelude SI had 274,000 on two timing belts, before I had to do the head gasket. Then like an idiot, I sold it, for an S-10 Blazer.... :bash

:cry best car I ever had... almost...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts