Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so i have a 1996 honda civic cx hatchback meaning manual windows and doors :mad . but one of my friends told me that i could get power doors from the same generation civic as mine and theyd wire right up to my car. so is this true? and if it is anyone know a good place to get complete doors lol

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
I did this a few months ago. I have a DX with manual locks and windows. Anyway, the doors are a direct bolt on. The easiest way to do it is re-run the cabin wiring. I bought an EX wiring harness from honda for around 100 bucks. It plugs into the fusebox in 3 places, and then plugs in everywhere else as a direct replacement. You will need a power window relay, and some fuses. I had 99 doors from an EX with power locks mirrors and windows.

Honestly, its one of the biggest jobs ive done on the civic, but one of the easiest.

Reactions: skizzie

·
Registered
1 Posts
from gsr

OnBoostD16 said:
I did this a few months ago. I have a DX with manual locks and windows. Anyway, the doors are a direct bolt on. The easiest way to do it is re-run the cabin wiring. I bought an EX wiring harness from honda for around 100 bucks. It plugs into the fusebox in 3 places, and then plugs in everywhere else as a direct replacement. You will need a power window relay, and some fuses. I had 99 doors from an EX with power locks mirrors and windows.

Honestly, its one of the biggest jobs ive done on the civic, but one of the easiest.
would the GSR harness fit the DX for the power windows?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
ricosuabe said:
would the GSR harness fit the DX for the power windows?
No. 1996-up Civic wiring is not compatible with Tegs or older Civics.

for 96-98 models you will require the floor harness from an EX coupe of those same years. For 99-00, you need the harness of those particular years.

You don't need to worry about finding doors that match your color either, all the stuff from the door will swap over into your CX doors without unbolting the doors from the car. It can be a headache to get the doors aligned if you swap them entirely. I would just get the complete doors and gut them, unless you have big dents and the metal needs replacing anyways.

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
dude, you installed the WHOLE EX harness?? i bought an EX harness and just cut out the power windows, locks, and mirrors part of the harness and it went right in...it took me so damn long to figure out how to install until i cut that part out then it went right in. i have a headache thinking about it...that's the reason my ex broke up with me (too much time on your car) blah...leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
yeah i installed th entire floor harness.. it wasnt too bad, just had to take out the seats and carpet. The rest was basically plug and play. I got the harness new from honda for $100 for a 96-98.. Plugged into the 99 doors with no problem. I do believe the 99-00 harness is different in the dash connectors. its been a while though.

I did cut the harness out of the car i snagged the doors from, but it was kinda beat.. so i thought it would be better just throwing a new one in there.. It gives you more satisfaction also :number1

sucks about the girl though.. mine doesnt mind my working on the car, she actually likes it, and likes when i tell her about stuff.. its awesome.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Yeah man putting the whole floor harness in really isn't a big deal, especially in a CX since you don't have rear wiper wiring to mess with. In my DX I had to strip out the 3 wires that operate the rear wiper and add them into the EX harness but that wasn't a really big deal either.

You just remove the seats (front & rear, only a few bolts each you know), cut the stock harness branch going to the fuel tank, cut the new harness in the same area and splice the same color wires together. That's the only cutting/splicing to be done on it. If you're proficient with that kind of work it's only about 15-minutes.

OnBoost is correct, it doesn't matter what year 96-00 the doors come from, the harnesses in the doors are the same, but the floor harness is different from the 96-98 to the 99-00. I've done this on both vintages so I can say that for certain.

Either way, you won't regret this mod, it's one of the best things I've done to my car in the 6+ years I've been driving it.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
i agree it is the best mod ive done.. Why did you say you needed to cut he harness for the fuel pump? I just removed the brace and it gave full access.

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
OnBoostD16 said:
sucks about the girl though.. mine doesnt mind my working on the car, she actually likes it, and likes when i tell her about stuff.. its awesome.
well, does she have a sister??? haha

anyways, yeah i just layed the floor harness (the part that connects behind the fender) under the carpet and bam, it was done in 15 minutes...this is after 10+ hours of trying to figure out what do to...god that was a horrible weekend. but i love the mod, i even reupholstered the doors to soft black vinyl and got a GSR leather arm rest and then got some GSR leather seats and it looks good! now i just need the rear leather seats because my interior loogs ghey now, haha.

oh yeah, you'll need to order the power window relay from honda too, about $20

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I am getting a 97 CX hatch and was wondering about the Ex harness, is this just for the windows and it's added or does it replace the CX stock one? I don't know if this makes sense, I haven't even gotten the car yet (sunday).

Also, if I do an engine swap (poor man's Type R), will this harness be effected?

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
yeah its just for the windows. All the connectors plug in exactly the same. Theres just a few extra wires going across the middle to each door.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Cool, so if I hit a junk yard, I should pull out the harness under the carpet and going to the doors? Also take the door panels and motors and switches, anything else?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
00BLACKSI said:
Cool, so if I hit a junk yard, I should pull out the harness under the carpet and going to the doors? Also take the door panels and motors and switches, anything else?
Gut everything from the doors except the glass and window track. Grab the mirrors & locks, harnesses, p/w control module, and mirror switch from the dash so you have power everything. Pull out the entire floor harness and yes it will completely replace your CX floor harness, no modification required it's all plug-n-play. The relay you need for the windows was only around $5 when I bought mine.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Questions:

I know the 99-00 Si door panels will fit, but are they the same color?

The reason I ask is the interior color code is Type K light grey on my 97 Cx hatchie and the Si are dark grey type K.

Is this for the seat color? or the panels and dash?

I want to upgrade, but don't want the door panels to be different colors then the rest of the dash and interior.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
klungemonger said:
The color code is for the whole interior scheme. So if you have light gray they won't be a match. You might have to hunt down an EX that had the same interior color as yours.
Fuck, I had a funny feeling!! That sucks, oh well. Time to look for Ex parts!
Thanks bro - rep'd

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Not trying to jack this thread, but I looked at an Ex today which I was going to get all the power shit and it had the dark interior.

Can someone please answer me this, does honda make 96-00 power windows/shit in light grey?

Thanks, and the hunt continues!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.