Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is slow and I want to make it faster. What should I do? Turbo or engine swap? My D16Y8 has 95,xxx I do all the basic mantinence but I dont know the conditon of the engine or how much longer its going to last because I drive it kinda hard. I have probably taken it to redline about 15 times since I bought the car 2 years ago with 69.xxx miles. I would rather turbo it but someone told me that my mileage was too high to do so and I dont know if the engine will be able to handle it. What do I need to check to see if it can handle turbo? I heard that I could get a compression and leak test to see if the engine is still in good shape. Is that true? Where would I go to get that done? Either way I am going to be spending around $5000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
Hmmmm!

TO: Dawrenn

MY 2-CENTS: (not to be rude..)

Before you modified your Civic make SURE your Civic is pay off and belongs to you 100%! And make sure you are okay on your insurance!!!

Hmmmm! You should go ahead and get your motor check out first.
Putting on a Turbo would give you some crazy horsepower, but will eat your gas, oil, and your wallet. I suggest you read up on some forms about turbos and find out some pros and cons about turbos. Just remember that Honda motors were built as is and with no assistant!

Motor Swap!!!
Hmmm! Its a lot cheaper if you sell your Civic and combine the cash from your sold Civic and $5000 and just get a Integra or Prelude with a DOHC motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FinalGear said:
TO: Dawrenn

MY 2-CENTS: (not to be rude..)

Before you modified your Civic make SURE your Civic is pay off and belongs to you 100%! And make sure you are okay on your insurance!!!

Hmmmm! You should go ahead and get your motor check out first.
Putting on a Turbo would give you some crazy horsepower, but will eat your gas, oil, and your wallet. I suggest you read up on some forms about turbos and find out some pros and cons about turbos. Just remember that Honda motors were built as is and with no assistant!

Motor Swap!!!
Hmmm! Its a lot cheaper if you sell your Civic and combine the cash from your sold Civic and $5000 and just get a Integra or Prelude with a DOHC motor.
I payed all of it when I bought it so I dont owe anything. What do you mean by ok on my insurence? I dont have the money yet but thats what I figured it was going to cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
Sorry...

Dawrenn said:
I payed all of it when I bought it so I dont owe anything. What do you mean by ok on my insurence? I dont have the money yet but thats what I figured it was going to cost.
A lot of kids I know will drop crazy amount of money into their Civic without making sure their insurance is pay off for the next month or next 6 month and later on, pay for it greatly.

I’m glad that your Civic is your 100%. Because, if you shop around at your local Honda dealership or at any other dealership, you can always find one REAL nice fix up Honda for sell at a cheap price. Usually, story is that the original owner was not thinking too clearly on finishing his DOWN PAYMENT and decided to invest into making the car look cool and gets his car REPO. The dealership knows that original owner void the warranty by modifying the engine. So the dealership has to sell the car a cheaper price. This happens a lot in Denver during the Summer Time....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am just going to get my short block rebuilt. Is the a good price for a rebuild: Estimate is $1,600-$1,800. I'll figure everything out if you have me build it. Block will be bored, CP pistons, RM rods, ACL bearings, ARP head studs, OEM HG, timing belt/tensioner.

He says it will be able to hold 18 psi and I should get around 250whp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,193 Posts
Do a compression test and if everything checks out boost that bitch,the hell with a motor swap a turbo on your Y8 will be around the same price as a B16A2 swap and give you sooooo much more power and gobs more tq
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,438 Posts
98civic4door said:
Do a compression test and if everything checks out boost that bitch,the hell with a motor swap a turbo on your Y8 will be around the same price as a B16A2 swap and give you sooooo much more power and gobs more tq

its probly gonna fail the compression test miserably (or at least not be good enough for a turbo) after 95k miles...

even if it does, its a question of how much the wear will be increased with the turbo... i would say its time for a rebuild big time at the very minimum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
hobie237 said:
its probly gonna fail the compression test miserably (or at least not be good enough for a turbo) after 95k miles...
I did a comp check a few months ago at around 120k miles and had over 205psi across the board...

even if it does, its a question of how much the wear will be increased with the turbo... i would say its time for a rebuild big time at the very minimum
Do a leakdown test. It will tell you if your engine is healthy.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top