Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help on picking the best video card my motherboard can handle. Right now I have an ELSA Nvidia Quadro 2 Pro. My motherboard is an Asus A7A266.

The AGP slot can handle AGP Pro / 4X / 2X / 1X Slot.

I know the top of the line video cards out today (like the ATI 9800 and Nvidia fx5900) are like AGP 8x and they are incompatible with my motherboard (i think). So I just want to know what is the best video card my MB can handle. It doesn't matter if its ATI or Nvidia.

Right now my comp can handle like Counter-Strike pretty decently. But when I try to run games like Max Payne 2 and GTA3, I notice my FPS choking. Its hard to play games with like 20 or less FPS. Do you guys think Its better for me to upgrade my motherboard, proccessor, and video card all at a time. Or just upgrade my video card. All I want is just decent frames to play the latest games that are out today.

Oh yea one last thing, my comp is running @ 1400mhz/1.4ghz.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
All the new AGP 8X video cards are also backwards compatible with AGP 4X. So you will be fine with any of those cards. If you're on a budget, but don't wanna break the bank, I recommend the Radeon 9600 Pro card because it sells for a little over 200 and will play any game, even half-life 2 and Doom 3 where the high end Nvidia cards choke at because of DX9. And when the next version of counter-stike comes out, it will be based on HL2 so I think that card will do you some good for a while. And will definitely be compatible on your next system as long as it still uses AGP. If you got the money, you COULD spring for the 9800 Pro and get the best performance, but performance-to-price ratio diminishes greatly at that point, especially if the rest of your system is holding you back. Think about getting a whole new system, cpu prices are pretty damn good right now as both Intel and AMD are about to wage a next generation cpu battle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input I'm glad to hear that the new cards are backwards compatible. I was also thinking about the 9600 pro too. I also hear the 9500 pro was just as good or even better, is that true? And how about the brand, like PNY, ASUS etc., which one is recommended?

Any one else have any other suggestions? :D

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
All the other brands do exactly what the ATi cards do if you plan on using it normally. Because they basically use the same chips and the performance different is non-existent. They are a bit different as far as tweaking goes (stuff about overclocking) that I haven't looked into. Even the 9500 has some stuff I don't know about which may make it faster, its probably a better overclocker or something. Differences I would expect is the warranty, tech support, and cost. Anyways, you can't go wrong with any ATi chip right now, just matters how much you're willing to spend.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The ATi 9500 Pro is one of the best cards out there b/c although it was the middle level card where as the 9700 Pro was the top of the line the 9500 Pro which was less than the 9700 Pro could be overclocked to be as fast and powerful as the 9700 Pro. Both cards are kind of rare b/c ATi had discontinued production on them b/c they cost a lot for them to make. The 9500 Pro is faster then the 9600 Pro b/c where as the 9600 Pro has 4 parallel rendering pipelines to deliver the 9500 Pro has 8. The 9600 Pro was more cost effective for ATi, that's the card I own.

When it comes to overclocking watch out, if you do it wrong you could melt your vid card, mobo or start a fire. Not to scare you but that is not a task that beginners try to take on. From what I've seen on overclocked 9500 Pro's are added higher capacity transistors and there are companys as well that will modd the card to make it faster as well as adding a huge ass heat sink on it. Hope this has helped.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have another question, what's the best or top of the line 4x AGP video card? I'm talking about like the best video card that was made right before 8x AGP slots were a standard in most gaming rigs of today. Doesn't matter if its Nvidia or ATI. My Nvidia Quadro2 Pro video card just isn't handling the newer games without choking and losing fps. :cry:

I really don't want to get video card that supports pass the 4x AGP limit. Is that a good/bad idea? I was just thinking of putting in the best 4x card that my mobo can handle and use it in the meantime since I can't use the newer 8x cards at its full potential. I'm hoping the video card I'm looking for is under $80 or atleast under $100 :D

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
first off you're falling for a bunch of marketing hype. basically agp 8x gives you about 2 maybe 3% better performance in any game. and with a higher end graphics card you still won't see the difference. as long as your motherboard supports the voltages that you need for the video card go ahead and get anything that is 8x/4x agp.
my recommendation is either a radeon 9500, radeon 9500 pro or a radeon 9600 pro.
any of those cards will show a big improvement from the card you have now... and they're all agp 8x compatible but will work in an agp 4x motherboard. trust me... 8x isn't anything anyone really uses.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
xGSRx said:
I have another question, what's the best or top of the line 4x AGP video card? I'm talking about like the best video card that was made right before 8x AGP slots were a standard in most gaming rigs of today. Doesn't matter if its Nvidia or ATI. My Nvidia Quadro2 Pro video card just isn't handling the newer games without choking and losing fps. :cry:

I really don't want to get video card that supports pass the 4x AGP limit. Is that a good/bad idea? I was just thinking of putting in the best 4x card that my mobo can handle and use it in the meantime since I can't use the newer 8x cards at its full potential. I'm hoping the video card I'm looking for is under $80 or atleast under $100 :D
The best 4x i think was the GeForce4 Ti 4800.

see my posts towards bottom 1st page Just got my new video card! Woot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts