Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking into putting a b18b motor together with the b16a head onto it. would that be good for daily driving? is there anything better but i dont want a b16 complete. if i do the ls/vtec, would i have to change the internals much? also which tranny would be best for this setup?

· Registered
117 Posts
The biggest problem that you are going to run into is the b18b internals. They are not set up for revving to 8000rpm's. And if you do not intend to rev that high you are wasting your money. There is a high attrition rate for the Frankenstein swaps because of this. You are going to have to go into the motor and swap in new bearings/rods/pistons that are up to the task.

Also, if you are going to use the LS tranny, you are going to fall out of the vtec powerband everytime you shift.

I would just spend the extra dough and get the b18c. And if you want the extra power, slap the b16a head on that block and build yourself the poor mans ITR.

· Registered
535 Posts
iN cIMA said:
so just the stock B18b motor has no Vtec? and it is high in torque? what would happen with a b18c head? would it just be better to save for a b18c complete?
Yes B18b has no VTEC. it has higher torque than the B16 and slightly more than the B18c I belive, and also at lower RPMs. Pointless to put a B18c head on there, the B16 head flows much better. I'm not a fan of Ls/VTEC because because the LS can't rev very high (weak internals) I'd only recommend the LS for Turbo, and really not even that because the engine lacks Piston oil squirters, and the engine just doesn't like to rev. Get a B18c or a B16a.

· Registered
535 Posts
The rod/stoke ratio is all off when you do LS/VTEC. That's one reason I'm not for it. Then the lack of piston oil squirters as well. What it comes down to is that I've heard to many people have problems with LS/VTEC. IMHO opinion it's just not a great choice for a daily driver. I know lots of people say that they have one thats great, or know people who have them perform flawlessly, it's just not worth it to me. If you do it right, you've spent more than a B18c swap, and it won't be as reliable. If it was a great idea (to slap a VTEC head on a B18A/B block) Honda would've done it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.