Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for posting this because I know it has probably been posted before, but I just tried a search and couldn't find anything. Anyway, I drive a 2000 Civic DX and was looking to finally complete my exhaust, but nobody makes a header for my car. Instead of the header then, I was going to get a test pipe from racingpipes.com. Question is: do I get a test pipe with or without the oxygen bung? Might be a stupid question to most people on here, but I admit I really don't know a lot about test pipes. I'm guessing the bung is used for the O2 sensor, assuming my car has one where the pipe would be installed. Am I correct? Also, it looks like the test pipe for the Civics is a bolt on one. Do these pipes usually bolt up, or would I have to weld mounts for them? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
a test pipe for your car may not be the best idea since it has 2 o2 sensors.. one used to check a/f ratio, and the other to check the efficiency of the catalytic converter. you owuld be better off getting a high-flow cat, something like what they sell from Carsound or Random Technologies.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
how will you put a test pipe on that car?
as far as i know the dx/lx/cx all lhave the catalytic converter right below the manifold at the front of the engine.
having a test pipe to replace that is pretty unusual.

i know a guy locally that just put a header on anad it bolted right up to his exhaust in a 96 or 97 hatch, no test pipe, no cat.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I oredered an exhaust resonator, which is basicly a legal test pipe. It LOOKS like a catalytic converter but it's open like a test pipe. I have a 95 dx sedan and I thought it came with 2 - o2 sensors but I only have 1.

It isn't unusual because mine boltedright up to the OE header and my greddy evo.

Look under your car and see if you have 1 there and you should have 1 on your header.

does anybody else have a 95 dx civic with 1 o2 sensor?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
v4lu3s said:
all 92-95 civic have one o2 sensor.
96+ have 2
the dx requires two o2 sensors in the manifold
check kamikaze header and some other no name brand if u really want...
my friend has and wants to sell his kamikaze header if u want

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it sounds like the test pipe is going to be more trouble than it's really worth. If I didn't have to touch the sensor it would be no prob, but it sounds like I'm going to have to mess with it.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
igo4bmx said:
the dx requires two o2 sensors in the manifold
check kamikaze header and some other no name brand if u really want...
my friend has and wants to sell his kamikaze header if u want
only on 96+ cars
i own a 94 civic dx....

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

i have not seen a test pipe yet that can replace that style of catalytic converter.
if you were to switch to a header for an EX model civic you would get teh same result as a test pipe though.

·
Registered
614 Posts
fivepointhustla said:
I oredered an exhaust resonator, which is basicly a legal test pipe. It LOOKS like a catalytic converter but it's open like a test pipe. I have a 95 dx sedan and I thought it came with 2 - o2 sensors but I only have 1.

It isn't unusual because mine boltedright up to the OE header and my greddy evo.

Look under your car and see if you have 1 there and you should have 1 on your header.

yes i have a 95 and they are supposed to be only on the header, no where else. damn man im sure ur car sounds like shit with an open pipe. My cat is broken and is rattling like a bitch and my car got way louder with just that.. imagine an open pipe... god damn!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
fivepointhustla said:

There is no such thing as a "legal test pipe". Anything that replaces a catalytic converter is illegal. An exhaust resonator isnt even close to being a legal replacement for a cat. It doesnt come close to serving the same purpose as a cat and IMO it doesnt look anything like one either. The resonator is supposed to quiet the car down and usually gives it a deeper tone.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sev_civic said:
damn man im sure ur car sounds like shit with an open pipe. My cat is broken and is rattling like a bitch and my car got way louder with just that.. imagine an open pipe... god damn!!
actually it sounded stock, well until I put my greddy on. I spent good money on my evo to make sure I had a mean sound not no fuckin buzzing bees. You totally misunderstood me.

When I bought my car the exhaust was broken from the cat back, THEN it sounded like shit. NOW it sounds sweet as hell.

I have an exhaust resonator, forgot which brand.

·
Registered
434 Posts
SuperSleeper said:
There is no such thing as a "legal test pipe". Anything that replaces a catalytic converter is illegal. An exhaust resonator isnt even close to being a legal replacement for a cat. It doesnt come close to serving the same purpose as a cat and IMO it doesnt look anything like one either. The resonator is supposed to quiet the car down and usually gives it a deeper tone.
Well I guess you're right, it doesn't look like one and I 'm not sure if it's legal or not, oh well if it ain't. I don't live in Cali so they don't check cars here. MY BAD!:D

·
Registered
707 Posts
fivepointhustla said:
Well I guess you're right, it doesn't look like one and I 'm not sure if it's legal or not, oh well if it ain't. I don't live in Cali so they don't check cars here. MY BAD!:D
Thank god I'm movin to Nevada on Sun. They still check for them there but their a lot less strict as far as smog and emissions are concerned.

·
Registered
434 Posts
SuperSleeper said:
Thank god I'm movin to Nevada on Sun. They still check for them there but their a lot less strict as far as smog and emissions are concerned.
I hear in Cali they'll take your car for the littlest thing.:confused: :mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts