Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Now I know we all hate VS threads, especially if it is in the family, but without any hating, how well do these fair against our SIs?
Before I purchased my SI, I rode in my friend's '98 Accord V6 and I was just blown away by all the torque it had. When I got my SI, I never even considered racing one of them, I thought they'd blow me away.

One real bored day, I was reading up on printed stats (course they're always some discreptancy with these) and it showed the AV6 slower than our cars!

Anyone have a race story to tell?

· Registered
290 Posts
Kane317 said:

Now I know we all hate VS threads, especially if it is in the family, but without any hating, how well do these fair against our SIs?
Before I purchased my SI, I rode in my friend's '98 Accord V6 and I was just blown away by all the torque it had. When I got my SI, I never even considered racing one of them, I thought they'd blow me away.

One real bored day, I was reading up on printed stats (course they're always some discreptancy with these) and it showed the AV6 slower than our cars!

Anyone have a race story to tell?
The V-6 Accord is slower than an Si/SiR, but not by a lot. In a 1/4 mile run there is about 4 or 5 10ths of a second difference.

However, because of the displacement and torque on this car if you tried to race on or pull away from on while travelling at 60MPH I think you would find you get your ass handed to you pretty fast. They are a bigger and much heavier car but once they are moving they pull damn good. They have crap loads of passing power. Not to say our cars are bad, but it takes a little bit for an SiR to get cooking when you try to pass someone.

My boss owns one and it a hella nice car. We've never raced but I can tell that off the line is where my SiR shines and there is no question we have better handling. The Accord is a nice well rounded car for sport and luxary and it is loaded with all kinds of great options. If I was ever looking to buy a new car again I think I would consider getting one of these.

In a race it really comes down to the driver because anyone that flubs a launch won't be ahead by much against one.

· Registered
142 Posts
I agree with maniac once accords are moving they get up and go. The Si is really good at getting going from a stand still, and lossing at the top end passing power, needs for hp and torque. The type-r cams would be good for that...I can dream about these. The new cl type-s with a six speed and lsd is scary fast. Imagine if someone swapped a type-s driveline into an accord coupe...wow.

· Registered
14 Posts
i don;t have a race story but you need to consider all the fact, a Accord V6, yes has more power and torque, but it weighs considerably more than the Civic Si. plus All V6 Accords in the Us can only come in Automatic. Stick shift is only avaible in Canada for V6 Accords. So i am guessing that you're Civic is Stickshift. As long as you can out shift that slow azz automatic then you'll be able to run head to head wioth him or beat him. My S2000 is able to take cars with considerably more power and torque than it. that is simply due to the short throw stick shift and 9000Rpm and Weigh ration ( best 50\50 balance of any car available on the market) . The S2000 has 240HP and 190Lbs of torgue and believe it or not it can out run Carreras. Believe me i have done it before. and the Porsche had 320 HP. Your car has 160 Hp and the Accord V6 has 200 thats a 40 Hp difference not much. the Si as well only looses 22 HP at the wheels and the Accord looses more than 30

So consider all the facts next time. And good luck Racing the accord :cool:

· Premium Member
9,316 Posts
Re: Re: Question about the Accord-V6s

Maniac said:

However, because of the displacement and torque on this car if you tried to race on or pull away from on while travelling at 60MPH I think you would find you get your ass handed to you pretty fast.
I have to disagree with you on this one...

My dad has a 00 Acura TL (slightly faster than the Accord) Well I raced my friend in his 4-cyl 5-Speed 00 Accord (Wich my Si can beat in every aspect of a race)

Off the line I murdered him with the TL, but when we were on the highway at about 70 and both hammered it, he pretty much stayed with me. I mean I was ahead, but not by much.

I think the Si would hold up just fine from 60mph with a V-6 Accord.

· Retired *********
4,663 Posts
I agree with v00tecsi. I had a 98 Accord V6 before I bought my Si and both cars are about even. The Accord has more hp and torque but the Si weighs 600lbs less and is a manual. It's just boils down to who is the better driver.

· Registered
290 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Question about the Accord-V6s

v00tecsi said:

I have to disagree with you on this one...

My dad has a 00 Acura TL (slightly faster than the Accord) Well I raced my friend in his 4-cyl 5-Speed 00 Accord (Wich my Si can beat in every aspect of a race)

Off the line I murdered him with the TL, but when we were on the highway at about 70 and both hammered it, he pretty much stayed with me. I mean I was ahead, but not by much.

I think the Si would hold up just fine from 60mph with a V-6 Accord.
Disagree if you like. I know both cars very well. The one thing an Si/Sir doesn't have is gobs of passing power. We lack torque, and that is something the V-6 has in abundance. All I am saying is that, don't expect to be pulling away on one of these cars once they are moving.

Acura TL, Accord V-6, Acura CL, these cars are all pretty darn close to one another. TL might be faster than an Accord but it sure isn't by a hell of a lot. The same goes for an Si/SiR, the SiR is quicker but it's not by very much.

Kane, by all measure you should win a race against an Accord, but if you flub up your shifting you can expect a close race or even a loss. Go find one to race and let us know how it goes.

· Registered
147 Posts
RSX Type- S said:
i don;t have a race story but you need to consider all the fact, a Accord V6, yes has more power and torque, but it weighs considerably more than the Civic Si. plus All V6 Accords in the Us can only come in Automatic. Stick shift is only avaible in Canada for V6 Accords. So i am guessing that you're Civic is Stickshift. As long as you can out shift that slow azz automatic then you'll be able to run head to head wioth him or beat him. My S2000 is able to take cars with considerably more power and torque than it. that is simply due to the short throw stick shift and 9000Rpm and Weigh ration ( best 50\50 balance of any car available on the market) . The S2000 has 240HP and 190Lbs of torgue and believe it or not it can out run Carreras. Believe me i have done it before. and the Porsche had 320 HP. Your car has 160 Hp and the Accord V6 has 200 thats a 40 Hp difference not much. the Si as well only looses 22 HP at the wheels and the Accord looses more than 30

So consider all the facts next time. And good luck Racing the accord :cool:
WTF are you talking about? The J30A1 is only available in a 4 speed automatic. 6th gen Accord V6's in Canada and the US are all automatic. The S2000 does not have 190 lbs. of torque, more like 153 lbs. You're only 15, where are you pulling this info from? Ok the Civic Si has 160 HP compared to the Accord V6's 200. You have to remember that these are only fly wheel HP figures. HP at the wheel is lower. The Civic Si and the Accord V6 are pretty much even. If the driver in the Si can launch and shift well, the Accord V6 will lose. I own a 2001 Accord V6 so I personally am speaking from experience.

· Premium Member
9,316 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Question about the Accord-V6s

Maniac said:

Disagree if you like. I know both cars very well. The one thing an Si/Sir doesn't have is gobs of passing power. We lack torque, and that is something the V-6 has in abundance. All I am saying is that, don't expect to be pulling away on one of these cars once they are moving.

Acura TL, Accord V-6, Acura CL, these cars are all pretty darn close to one another. TL might be faster than an Accord but it sure isn't by a hell of a lot. The same goes for an Si/SiR, the SiR is quicker but it's not by very much.

Kane, by all measure you should win a race against an Accord, but if you flub up your shifting you can expect a close race or even a loss. Go find one to race and let us know how it goes.
I know what your saying, and I do agree that a Si wouldn't blow it away. I'm just saying from my experience with the TL and the 4-cyl Accord. The TL didn't pull all that hard on him, and in the same situation my Si pulls harder on the Accord then the TL did. Therefore I would imagine my Si would stay with or slightly pull on the TL.

However, off the line the TL smoked his 4-cly Accord, as I also can off the line with my Si vs. his Accord. So the V-6 Accord Vs. the Si would be very close in all aspects of a race, but imo I think the Si would come out slightly on top.

· Premium Member
9,316 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question about the Accord-V6s

v00tecsi said:

I know what your saying, and I do agree that a Si wouldn't blow it away. I'm just saying from my experience with the TL and the 4-cyl Accord. The TL didn't pull all that hard on him, and in the same situation my Si pulls harder then the TL did. Therefore I would imagine my Si would stay with or slightly pull on the TL.

However, off the line the TL smoked his 4-cly Accord, as I also can off the line with my Si vs. his Accord. So the V-6 Accord Vs. the Si would be very close in all aspects of a race, but imo I think the Si would come out slightly on top.
Opps double post...Sorry mods!!!! AHHAAHAHHA

· Registered
290 Posts
Mlee82 said:

WTF are you talking about? The J30A1 is only available in a 4 speed automatic. 6th gen Accord V6's in Canada and the US are all automatic. The S2000 does not have 190 lbs. of torque, more like 153 lbs. You're only 15, where are you pulling this info from? Ok the Civic Si has 160 HP compared to the Accord V6's 200. You have to remember that these are only fly wheel HP figures. HP at the wheel is lower. The Civic Si and the Accord V6 are pretty much even. If the driver in the Si can launch and shift well, the Accord V6 will lose. I own a 2001 Accord V6 so I personally am speaking from experience.
Yes, by the numbers there is no question that an Si/SiR should win. I have been in the Accord many times, I know what they are like, and my real question is about say from 60mph. How well do you think an Si/SiR will stay beside an Accord V6 in passing power? Since you own one I am interested in your opinion.

I'd say it would be pretty close with the advantage being on the Accord. The power comes up really fast with those cars at that speed.

You know we can likely go back and forth with this discussion forever. The truth is the Accord is geared for Sport/Luxary where the Civic is much more stripped down for handling. Their are pros and cons to both sides and I'd happily own an Accord if the time was right to buy one. All I will say to the Si/SiR owners is don't under estimate the Accord. They are bigger and heavier cars for sure, but they still a force to be reckoned with.

I love some of the features they built into that car. Like the auto adjusting wiper speed, that speeds up to match your velocity. that is the shit.

· Registered
147 Posts
Maniac said:

Yes, by the numbers there is no question that an Si/SiR should win. I have been in the Accord many times, I know what they are like, and my real question is about say from 60mph. How well do you think an Si/SiR will stay beside an Accord V6 in passing power? Since you own one I am interested in your opinion.

I'd say it would be pretty close with the advantage being on the Accord. The power comes up really fast with those cars at that speed.

You know we can likely go back and forth with this discussion forever. The truth is the Accord is geared for Sport/Luxary where the Civic is much more stripped down for handling. Their are pros and cons to both sides and I'd happily own an Accord if the time was right to buy one. All I will say to the Si/SiR owners is don't under estimate the Accord. They are bigger and heavier cars for sure, but they still a force to be reckoned with.

I love some of the features they built into that car. Like the auto adjusting wiper speed, that speeds up to match your velocity. that is the shit.
Hey Maniac,
I really like the 99-00 Civic Si's. I was real close to getting a 2000 EBP until my parents found out Si's are 5spd only :( I honestly didn't like the accord v6. It's comfortable, but it's dog ass slow. lol. Acceleration is pretty crappy. I've driven my friend's Si with i/h/e, and I know that if I told him to drive my Accord I'd rip him a new one. Accord V6's (well Accords in general) are not performance oriented cars.
From 60 mph on? I dunno, I've never gone up against a Civic Si at those speeds, lol. If I ever see a Civic Si I usually switch lanes and just wave at the driver and give him/her a thumbs up. The Accord V6 tops out around 115 mph in third gear, after that, acceleration in 4th gear is sloooow. The Si is a great car, IMO, best bang for your buck car. I know people say "It's still a Civic." Of course, their opinions change after they get their asses handed by one :D

· Registered
290 Posts
i think both the Accord and the Civic are classic cases of under-estimation. Given the right driver and the right circumstances you can get your ass handed to you very quickly.

Personaly, on a track, i found myself against a Mustang which I defated with no problems. But in a second race against a PT Cruiser (which I expected to crush) I lost, because I drove badly and because I was at a dis-advantage.

I take my loses for what they are, learning experiences. Because we drive a quick car does not make it fast. Only the driver can pull the most potential. My loss was because I expected my car to make up for bad driving and it jus doesn't work unless you are driving a Viper or a Ferrari, which no one else has.

I respect the Accord for the car it is and as such I do the Civic. When people ask me what I drive I tell them a Civic, not an SiR Civic, but just a Civic. That way when I hand them their ass, they can be astonished and if I lose, well I can wimper in my quiet corner. :) Losing with dignity has a pride to itself.

· Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Question about the Accord-V6s

Maniac said:

Hold up, I never said anywhere in my post about racing, I was merely curious, thanks for helping out tho :)

· Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maniac said:

Here's some interesting opinions coming from v6 accord owners themselves I found researching.
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5413&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.