Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do a raid 0 setup for performance but my mobo dont support it. I will have to buy a controller card in order to set it up. The controller card that I saw in newegg.com are all sata1/sata150 card except the pci-x slot one. The hard drive that I been looking at are sata2. They do have sata1 hard drive but they are more expensive. The sata1 drive are about $60 for a 160GB hard drive and the sata2 drives are $42 for a 80GB hard drive. I dont really need a pair of 160GB hard drive and dont want to spend that much.

Also do anyone know where I can get a decent but good controller card to do a raid 0 setup? I found this one in newegg.com.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815104219

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
the SATA drives are all backwards compatible with SATA150(aka SATA I)

SATA II drives are more expensive per/Mb which is evident in your post
you said:
The sata1 drive are about $60 for a 160GB hard drive and the sata2 drives are $42 for a 80GB hard drive.
get whatever drives you want, they will be compatible with the card you get. You'll just get the fastest speed the slowest connecting item is.

i.e. You have SATA II hard drives and you get a SATA/SATA150 card. Everything will go SATA/SATA150 speed.

the $60 maybe more expensive but you get more hard drive space for your money....albeit at a slower speed.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea the drive is $60, that is $12 difference, if you get two of them it will be $24 difference. I am trying to spend the less amount of money. A pair of 80GB is more then enough. I will be setting up as RAID 0 so I will get a total of about 160GB for a main drive. I also have a 250GB backup drive.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
why not go easy on yourself and just get a single sataII 250/250 gb drive? it will cost around the same amount as getting 2 smaller drives plus the raid controller.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IISaiNtII said:
why not go easy on yourself and just get a single sataII 250/250 gb drive? it will cost around the same amount as getting 2 smaller drives plus the raid controller.

I am not sure what you are saying buy asking me to get a single sata2 drive instead of 2 smaller drive. If I do that I cant do a raid setup.

The reason why I want to do a raid 0 setup is because I want performance. I need a raid controller card because my mobo dont have raid built in it.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
Once you go RAID you don’t go back……….. He wants to go RAID 0 for speed reasons

SuperAkuma said:
.The reason why I want to do a raid 0 setup is because I want performance. I need a raid controller card because my mobo dont have raid built in it.
If you are concerned about performance then you need to go with the SATA2 drives and controllers. BTW I have 4 300 gig SATA2 drives running RAID 0

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Rev ATARI said:
Once you go RAID you don’t go back……….. He wants to go RAID 0 for speed reasons

If you are concerned about performance then you need to go with the SATA2 drives and controllers. BTW I have 4 300 gig SATA2 drives running RAID 0
i got that, but then why bother with a sata 150 setup? sata2 is the only way to go.

anyways, if you feel you must raid, i think a card is the way to go. that way you aren't limiting yourself on mobo's ... just pci-e slots.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If he's concerned about performance then he needs to be running 15000 rpm scsi drives.

He said he wants to do this for as cheap as possible. 2x80gb SATA 3.0gb/s drives with a SATA150 RAID0 controller will be fine. Moving to a SATAII controller isn't going to get him anywhere as he will beable to use the max of a pci bus with SATA.

Edit - Just out of curiosity which SATAII drives are you using Rev?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.