Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I'm still new to all this stuff, and a little bit confused. I'm looking at all these threads about head swaps. What do all the letters and numbers represent? And would it be possible for me to bolt a Si head onto my 98 EX? What would I have to do?

·
Registered
747 Posts
The letters and number signify engine family, engine displacement and engine generation. for example:

K20A2
K = K-series engine family
20 = 2.0l displacement
A(2)(3) = 2nd generation K20A, 3rd generation K20A

Honda isn't always sequential when it comes to engine generations either. In the case of the B18C* family, for example, Honda skips ahead 4 numbers. We go from B18C1 to B18C5 with nothing in between.

Generation as it used in this case does not mean the latest is an improvement to the previous. It only means that Honda made changes to the original engine family design and gave it a new designation

:noo No a DOHC head will not fit a SOHC block

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Punx122 said:
Yeah, I'm still new to all this stuff, and a little bit confused. I'm looking at all these threads about head swaps. What do all the letters and numbers represent? And would it be possible for me to bolt a Si head onto my 98 EX? What would I have to do?
head swaps are usually driven toward making a non-vtec engine vtec. thus your ex can't have it done since you have SOHC (single over head cam) vtec. your motor is the D16y8, d-series.

Honda engines have interchangeable parts, as long as they are from the same series. not all parts are but most (there are slight differences in certain cases but it still works or functions at least either way). All of the DOHC (dual over head cam) are b-series motors, except the d16zc, but that is a older motor. B and D series parts are not interchangeable. So no you can't put a DOHC motor on a SOHC block.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
98civcEK said:
head swaps are usually driven toward making a non-vtec engine vtec. thus your ex can't have it done since you have SOHC (single over head cam) vtec. your motor is the D16y8, d-series.

Honda engines have interchangeable parts, as long as they are from the same series. not all parts are but most (there are slight differences in certain cases but it still works or functions at least either way). All of the DOHC (dual over head cam) are b-series motors, except the d16zc, but that is a older motor. B and D series parts are not interchangeable. So no you can't put a DOHC motor on a SOHC block.
but you can put an LS tb on a D intake mani :p

·
Registered
281 Posts
sure an dohc head will fit on a sohc. all it requires is a few rolls of tape and a little patients lol

·
Registered
882 Posts
98.... if you wrote a book that included ALL of your knowledge about cars, or just hondas, id def. buy it. Most of the stuff i learned on here has been from you...

sorry for being off topic. but my reply was already taken, and i didnt want to make the same post...

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
isnbrg9 said:
The letters and number signify engine family, engine displacement and engine generation. for example:

K20A2
K = K-series engine family
20 = 2.0l displacement
A(2)(3) = 2nd generation K20A, 3rd generation K20A

Honda isn't always sequential when it comes to engine generations either. In the case of the B18C* family, for example, Honda skips ahead 4 numbers. We go from B18C1 to B18C5 with nothing in between.

Generation as it used in this case does not mean the latest is an improvement to the previous. It only means that Honda made changes to the original engine family design and gave it a new designation

:noo No a DOHC head will not fit a SOHC block
there is a b18c3, euro specR, and the b18c, jspecR.
unless you got plenty of #, i wouldnt worry about engine swaps. turbo will get you more power for cheaper than a swap.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, thanks a lot for your help. Another question, if I were to get a b-series motor, would I have to swap out my transmission as well?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A b16 that is, sorry for being vague. I'm looking into getting a USDM motor for it locally. What would the DOHC VTEC model be?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Punx122 said:
Ok, thanks a lot for your help. Another question, if I were to get a b-series motor, would I have to swap out my transmission as well?
yes you need the b-series, d-series trannies are not interchangeable with them. when you buy the motor, most places that sell complete swaps will include the tranny. look around on www.hmotorsonline.com they have a good selection and good prices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.