Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a spring/strut change before but it was like 3 years ago.

If I have new springs/struts I don't need to take the stock spring off the stock strut...Right? The only thing that I can't remember is do I need to take it off to get the bump stop, or does the new struts come with them?

I really don't wanna have to get a spring compresser, can someone help me out???

Thanks

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
you need the top assembly and the bump stop...the stop piece for the shock to come up through the top assembly...you gonna need a spring compresser:)

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...Damn that isn't what I wanted to hear. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
What kind of springs do you have on there right now? Are they the stock ones?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i'm also installing my konis very soon. i have a 2000 prelude and i have tanabe super H's already on there (1.4 inch drop). how do i know if i need to cut the bumpstop?

·
Registered
17 Posts
two more questions actually.

1) it seems there are three settings for the perch. can i choose any of the 3 depending on how low i want the car to be or is each level for a different car.

2) will there be any harm in changing both front struts and then driving on the car until i find time to do the back?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The center perch will act like any other shock. If you want to lower your car a little more then set it to the bottom perch. If you put it on the top setting I believe it will raise your car up a little.

I don't see harm in doing that, but I would just try to find a weekend where I had a few hours to do all 4 corners.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Spring compressors are not that expensive to rent, so it shouldn't be a big deal. There is aparently a way to do it without a spring compressor, but personally I wouldn't take the risk of the spring snapping off and killing me or something.

As for the Konis, DustyLude, the shock and/or spring manufacturers will be able to tell you how much (if any) you should trim your bumpstops, so contact either or both of them to get their recommendations.
Also, deMad10 is right, it doesn't really matter which of the perches you use, but I believe that Koni usually recommends using the middle perch.
And, as far as just doing the front, and then doing the back...I don't think it's such a good idea, because then the front will have a different spring oscillation than the rear (ie, the back may be bouncing up and down while the front is stable). This could cause unpredictable handling. If you have to do it this way, then try to drive your car as little as possible, and keep in mind that you've got two different dynamics working for the front and back, so be careful driving and don't take any hard turns if you can help it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
LX98Civic said:
I put $100 deposit down at Advanced Auto Parts for a spring compressor. Returned it when I was done and the $100 was credited back to my criedit card. Also, borrowed a torque wrench ($75)
Exactly. Why take the risk when you can do this.

My friend bought a spring compressor from Schucks for like 40 bucks. They would have given him like 35 if he brought it back. With spring compressors so cheap to use, why take the risk doing it anyother way?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
deMad10 said:

Exactly. Why take the risk when you can do this.

My friend bought a spring compressor from Schucks for like 40 bucks. They would have given him like 35 if he brought it back. With spring compressors so cheap to use, why take the risk doing it anyother way?
I thought the compressor was going to be complicated :p
Just a threaded bar with two levers to compress the spring :D

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
LX98Civic said:

I thought the compressor was going to be complicated :p
Just a threaded bar with two levers to compress the spring :D
\

Yeah when I first saw one a few years back when I got my Neuspeeds I thought, "Is that it?"

So easy to do and so much better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts