Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends car recently started idling at like 200rpm. When you go into first you have to rev it up kinda high to keep it from stalling when you put load on it. When you step on the gas it hestitates for a sec before it revs up. I told her I would take a look at it. Does it sound like maybe a clogged iac

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alright so after looking at it and playing with the throttle heres what i've found out

when first started it idles almost normal at like 500-600 rpm. Then when you give it some gas it doesn't hesitate much and it revs fine. Then when you let off it drops down real low almost to the point of dying. Then when you give it gas it hesitates for almost half a sec before responding and after that its fine. I can also smell it running quite rich, though its gotten a little cooler here so that might be the cause of that.

i reset the ecu and checked the plugs. The plugs look a little lean.

heres what i was thinking: it needs some fuel system cleaner run through it, check the 02 sensor, the iac might have a clogged screen?

anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
sounds like my car. Wish i could tell you the answer. I'm saving up money right now to take my car to honda and get them to fix all my codes and my bad idle. Considering i dont even have the IACV even plugged in

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
98Vtec said:
sounds like my car. Wish i could tell you the answer. I'm saving up money right now to take my car to honda and get them to fix all my codes and my bad idle. Considering i dont even have the IACV even plugged in

:lol "save up to take it to honda"

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
do an official idle relearn procedure. i just learned a whole buncch abotu driving cycles and the idle relearn on hondas and its enough to blow your mind.

1 warm up the car till the fan kicks on and then shuts off

2 turn off the car

3 reset the ecu.

4 unclip the iacv plug. if it stalls restart and stabilize the idle so the car doesnt die. make sure the idle is around 500 or so.

5 reset the ecu again

6 start the car and let it run for 1 minute with no load, no lights on, no radio, no ac

7 after the 1 minute or slightly more is up turn on the lights and let it idle for a minute. after that minute turn off the lights

8 now turn on the ac (full blast) and let it idle for a minute.

shut off the ac and the ecu's idle relearn should be complete.

it sounds like total bullshit but after you see what a 7k honda pgm scanner shows you about the idle and driving cycle you would believe me. if you printed out all the data in college rule it would probably fill enough sheets of paper to cover a 6x6 foot floor

if a good idle relearn doesnt work then your gonna have to start hunting.

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
Rick V said:
do an official idle relearn procedure. i just learned a whole buncch abotu driving cycles and the idle relearn on hondas and its enough to blow your mind.

1 warm up the car till the fan kicks on and then shuts off

2 turn off the car

3 reset the ecu.

4 unclip the iacv plug. if it stalls restart and stabilize the idle so the car doesnt die. make sure the idle is around 500 or so.

5 reset the ecu again

6 start the car and let it run for 1 minute with no load, no lights on, no radio, no ac

7 after the 1 minute or slightly more is up turn on the lights and let it idle for a minute. after that minute turn off the lights

8 now turn on the ac (full blast) and let it idle for a minute.

shut off the ac and the ecu's idle relearn should be complete.

it sounds like total bullshit but after you see what a 7k honda pgm scanner shows you about the idle and driving cycle you would believe me. if you printed out all the data in college rule it would probably fill enough sheets of paper to cover a 6x6 foot floor

if a good idle relearn doesnt work then your gonna have to start hunting.
im gonna go do this right now, lol. Maybe it will help mine a bit. But the only problem is that i dont have my IAC plugged in anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts