Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm around the 88k mile marker and need to get my timing belt changed...

The Honda dealership around here quoted me at $750 for timing belt, all accessory belts (power steering, ac, etc.) and engine flush I believe.

What does it normally cost for this to happen, I know that dealerships always charge way over the top... but I know the mechanics there and I trust them, but if it's too over the top I'll take it elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
NotStockForLong said:
I'm around the 88k mile marker and need to get my timing belt changed...

The Honda dealership around here quoted me at $750 for timing belt, all accessory belts (power steering, ac, etc.) and engine flush I believe.

What does it normally cost for this to happen, I know that dealerships always charge way over the top... but I know the mechanics there and I trust them, but if it's too over the top I'll take it elsewhere.
fuck $750... take a look at this thread

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211634

good list of what to get... its not terribly difficult to do...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Anyone have a How-To on changing a timing belt...just rolled 70K

·
Registered
63 Posts
hobie237 said:
inspect it... dont fix what aint broke
with a timing belt you dont want to wait till it breaks, and if you're taking off the valve cover to inspect, you might as well set aside the extra couple of hours and do the job. I had the Tbelt done before for $350. It is something you'll HAVE to do sooner or later, might as well get it done now then be really sorry later. I snapped my belt at 75k bent 8 valves... dont be like me.

A good guide for the B18C, pretty similar procedure

There is also a write up on prelude online, you gotta pay $6 for membership and it is well worth it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
if you the general idea of changing it then it should be a breezz.....but if you dont feel comfterable with it dont do it.....pple will say it easy but i think far from that.....gotta set the timing and while your there might as well do a valve adjustment, water pump.....so yeah lots of things todo while your there.....just my .2

jokerzz out

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
lenn said:
with a timing belt you dont want to wait till it breaks, and if you're taking off the valve cover to inspect, you might as well set aside the extra couple of hours and do the job. I had the Tbelt done before for $350. It is something you'll HAVE to do sooner or later, might as well get it done now then be really sorry later. I snapped my belt at 75k bent 8 valves... dont be like me.

A good guide for the B18C, pretty similar procedure

There is also a write up on prelude online, you gotta pay $6 for membership and it is well worth it.

i'm just saying if you're at 75k and its fine, dont bother replacing it, and if ur at 50k and its worn, replace it... its not the numbers that matter its the condition of the belt...

and yes, while you're doing it its a perfect excuse to spend an afternoon doing a full tune up on your car... you wont be disappointed

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
thats about what i paid at honda for my accord to get that service done...shit i did mine at 130k...being alot smarter now, i wouldn't reccomend that to anyone. Even though I know I could pull off a tb change with my lude, I'm still take it to honda because my lude will still be under warrenty and with my accord they gave me a warrenty with the service. Some may think it's not worth the 750 but I think it isn't either...:lol....alittle over priced considering its maybe 75 bucks in parts and the rest in labor but i would still let honda do it..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the goal is to get it done before this weekend because I'm going on a long drive...

I really don't have the time to set aside at the moment to get it done before the weekend. It's my own fault because I put it off, but by finding another place just saved me about 300 bones. So I can't complain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts