Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my headunit just got jacked.. i'm thinking of replacing it with a lower end one.

my question is: Can you hook a powered sub to a preamp output??

or can it only be hooked up to a sub output??

its a 10 inch powered sub (bazooka)

thanks!

· Registered
274 Posts
Generally, a head unit can have preamp outputs in one, two, or three sets.

If the deck has one set of preamp outputs, these are usually called rear outputs. Meaning that if you fade the speakers to the front, the rear speakers and the rear preamps will fade out.

If the deck has two sets of preamp outputs, there is usually a front set and a rear set. The front speakers/preamps will fade when you turn the fader to the rear speakers/rear preamps and the rear speakers/preamps will fade when you turn the fader to the front speakers/preamps.

If the deck has two sets of preamp outputs, there is a front set and rear set that act like I described above and a third set. The third set is usually a subwoofer or non-fading preamp output. The subwoofer/non-fading preamp output will not fade if you use the fader to fade from front to rear. Depending on the deck, there may also be some level of sub control, meaning you can turn the sub up or down or control the phasing of the sub.

· Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the dude at best buy was telling me that i shouldn't hook a subwoofer to the preamp output cause it won't sound that good..

he was just the sales guy.. so i don't know if he knew what he was talking about..

is he correct?? i figure if there is only one preamp output, then it'll be just like a subwoofer output except maybe i won't have individual control on the woofer.... ? should sound the same, though right?

thanks for your help.

· Registered
274 Posts
The thing to keep in mind when you go to a Circuit City or Best Buy is their sales people are often the best help minimum wage can buy. I've heard their people tell customers things that make no sense and in some cases are not humanly possible...

But anyway, as long as you have a preamp output you'll be fine. All a preamp output really does is send a full range low-level signal to an amplifier. It doesn't matter if you're hooking up an amp to power your rear speakers or to a powered subwoofer, it's sending the same signal to each one.

· Registered
1,829 Posts
It doesn't matter if you are using an external amp or one that is built into the sub package. Either way, you will use the regular preouts. One more difference in SOME sub preouts is they have a higher voltage output than F/R outputs. ie. Alpine deck 7892 that I am looking at: F/R outputs are at 2V, sub output is 4V.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.