Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5zigen fireball cat-back system has just gotten way too loud lately, and the tin can effect is just getting worse. I also have a hi-flow cat on there. I wanna make it a LOT quieter so here's a couple questions:
my car is a 96 civic cx hatch

Where is a good place to get a new/used cat for my car? will just the cx/dx cats fit or will the si or sir ones fit also? cost?

Can a muffler shop add some resonators into the system? I don't want to get rid of the muffler and go back to the peashooter one!

Are there silencers for the fireball muffler? If so where can i get one?

Any reccomendations or thoughts on what I should do would be great! thanks!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
yes a muffler shop can add resonators, and that is what will quiet it down, the cat would only have a minor effect on the noise

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
ChaserCivic said:
will that get rid of the tin can sound u think?
it should, is this an actual 5zigen catback or a universal muffler w/ custom piping?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
ChaserCivic said:
genuine 5zigen

ok, yeah they can add resonators but i wouldn't want to do that.....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Man I just put a 2.5" resonator in my custom 2.5" exhaust and it quieted the idle, but not much.
I have a CarSound cat and that quieted it a bunch over the test pipe I was using before, but because my back yard (where my car was parked) flooded and I had like 3 inches of standing water covering the floor :( I had to take out the carpet, and now its loud as shit again.

Anyway, resonator would probably be your best bet. Do you have a silencer for the muffler?
... i used to but it fell out lol

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
GPoodle said:
Man I just put a 2.5" resonator in my custom 2.5" exhaust and it quieted the idle, but not much.
I have a CarSound cat and that quieted it a bunch over the test pipe I was using before, but because my back yard (where my car was parked) flooded and I had like 3 inches of standing water covering the floor :( I had to take out the carpet, and now its loud as shit again.

Anyway, resonator would probably be your best bet. Do you have a silencer for the muffler?
... i used to but it fell out lol

5zigen fireball systems do not have a provision for a resonator

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
GPoodle said:
:confused: I have an authentic 5Zigen muffler and it had a silencer, and theres places on the net selling the silencers for around $30.

Also its mentioned that they come with them here http://www.carreview.com/Exhaust/Cat,back,Exhaust,Systems/5zigen,Fireball/PRD_54518_1580crx.aspx
and here http://users.ev1.net/~shinglin/cars/crx/exhaust/5zigen.html

carreview is full of a bunch of people who know nothing

http://www.5zigenusa.com/exhausts.html

look at the exhaust, there is no hole to bolt on a silencer, i have had my 5 zigen fireball for about 4 years now and there is not a provision for the silencer, look at the pic on the manufacturer site (link above) you will see there is no provision for it in the picture

and in this link you posted

http://users.ev1.net/~shinglin/cars/crx/exhaust/5zigen.html

you can see even better how there is no silencer provision

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I also have a real 5*Zigen catback, and I fucking HATE IT!

Im just gonna put on a stock GSR, TypeR, S2k muffler and leave the catback piping on.

I hate exhausts on hondas!
My Gf has a Greddy Evo, probably one of the quietest ones u can get and I hate that shit TOO!

IF i could do it again, I would have bought an RS*R Ex MAG or an Apexi WS.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Defi4nce said:
I also have a real 5*Zigen catback, and I fucking HATE IT!

Im just gonna put on a stock GSR, TypeR, S2k muffler and leave the catback piping on.

I hate exhausts on hondas!
My Gf has a Greddy Evo, probably one of the quietest ones u can get and I hate that shit TOO!

IF i could do it again, I would have bought an RS*R Ex MAG or an Apexi WS.

LOL....well if you want to go w/ pretty much stock components and you have a coupe you could use the ITR B-pipe and get a spoon rear section or even an ITR rear section

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yea, I cant find anyone with an ITR stock exhaust. Not lookin to pay more than 50bux for a fuckin muffler either.

No one will buy my catback so im just gonna use the 2.25 purdy/made to fit 5Z piping and slap a quiet muffler on it, I DONT WANNA HEAR A PEEP outta my exhaust! :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Defi4nce said:
Yea, I cant find anyone with an ITR stock exhaust. Not lookin to pay more than 50bux for a fuckin muffler either.

No one will buy my catback so im just gonna use the 2.25 purdy/made to fit 5Z piping and slap a quiet muffler on it, I DONT WANNA HEAR A PEEP outta my exhaust! :D

that will hurt flow pretty bad d00d

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
YEA, flow = NOISE!

Im going turbo and im going with an E-CUT system. ULTIMATE STEALTH until game time!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Defi4nce said:
YEA, flow = NOISE!

Im going turbo and im going with an E-CUT system. ULTIMATE STEALTH until game time!
ahahahahhahah uh oh not one of those things

1 - 20 of 67 Posts