Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As long as I can remember I've always wanted an R/C plane. I just got to thinking about it today...damn! Why not get one now?

Can someone suggest some lower priced but decent models?
I have a HUGE field at my house to fly in with no trees or power lines. It's about 1,200x1,200ft. I don't want anything huge and nothing rinky dink. Any ideas?

·
Retired *********
4,663 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehe! HEy Someone answered! I bought one a few days ago. It came in last night, i'm about to go try 'er out!

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Wild stuff I wanted to try one too and got one last week. It was $26 dollars and comes with a DVD , seems to be the best one for the cheapest price I could find.

What did you get , where from and have you flown it yet?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mike_sho said:
Wild stuff I wanted to try one too and got one last week. It was $26 dollars and comes with a DVD , seems to be the best one for the cheapest price I could find.

What did you get , where from and have you flown it yet?

Heh, that is pretty crazy

I bought a Vortex Extreme by Draganfly Innoventions.

I got it from RCtoys.com (draganfly website) for about $120ish. It's pretty wild A LOT harder than I thought. I had trouble remembering that left is right and right is left, but when it is comming towards you it reverses again...ay yay yay! But anyway, I gave it a try, 1st 10 seconds I flew it into a tree (but I bought a plane with the prop behind the cockpit for that reason) with no damage :). Tried again and did a few nose dives into the ground. Finally got a little hang of it and was flying it for about 30 seconds...got really excited and threw it into a tree. It ate the wings. But I bought a back up kit for only $20.00 that comes with a new wing, rear wings, rechargable batteries ect... (its called the crash kit). All in all it was fuN!! :-D!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is what she looks like. It's a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be.

It's amazing how much thrust come out of that single prop. It's kind of hard to hold on to if you open the throttle all the way and don't have a firm grip on it. I put my face right behind the tail wings with the throttle wide open. That was crazy, you would think you have a 24" fan right in front of your face, very powerful!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I took her for another flight a few min ago in a HUGE unbuilt neighborhood! It was amazing! It did great and no crashes! It was a blast. I felt like a little kid :-D!

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Jo060 said:
Here is what she looks like. It's a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be.

It's amazing how much thrust come out of that single prop. It's kind of hard to hold on to if you open the throttle all the way and don't have a firm grip on it. I put my face right behind the tail wings with the throttle wide open. That was crazy, you would think you have a 24" fan right in front of your face, very powerful!
Mine looks similiar.

Also looks like they raised the price after i bought it. LOL must of been a typo.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NegroDamus said:
Looks sweet, I'm really temped to buy it. How long does the battery last?
Depends how long you keep the throttle wide open for. If you let it glide alot you can get 30 mins out of a charge which is more than enough time.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
cool, how much assembly was required or was it pretty much ready to fly right out of the box?

i really want an R/C helicopter :clappy

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
civic1784 said:
cool, how much assembly was required or was it pretty much ready to fly right out of the box?

Buy an air hog at wal mart. They are like 60 bux and can fly indoors, but they are still hard as fuck to fly, definitely takes practice to control.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
civic1784 said:

Its very easy to put together. Get a plane that is RTF (ready to fly) and there will be little assembly required. Otherwise you'll need glue, solder, and many more parts.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right on!

It takes a lot of practice/crahses. I picked up this R/C Plane flight simulator that comes with an actual remote control that has helped me A LOT with flight.

It's basically like this, just a little different.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
ay negro check out that new hobby shop by the sprint store on north academy they have all kinda cool shit in there its all RC shit i got my team losi micro-t there, and they had soem small ass copters and planes in there that i almost bought for cheap prebuilt RTR dunno if youve been there before or not but its a pretty cool place, id rather destroy a sub $100 flying apparatus learning then to buy a bigger thing to learn on

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
ive got a few, started out with gas powered one, called Sturdy Bird II yes its sturdy! cause i crashed it a few times, easy repair, or no repairs needed. just bought a batch of 5 extra foam wings in case they broke, but never had to use the spare. then one day i had the controls some how in reverse, no idea what happened, and when i wanted to go left, it would go right, and up would go down. it did a nose dive at full throttle right into the ground nose first.

all i broke was the propeller, and cracked the body, which is made out of PVC. simple epoxy and cleaning carb, and it was flyable again.

its cheap. but not like that little electric one tho.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK965&P=0

that one has alierons, mine did not, just one piece foam wing. engine mount is secured to the body by rubberbands lol, so is wing too.

after that i got tower hobbies tower trainer 60 arf. and a stupid stupid green pole matching the grassy background split the front of the plane in half argh! that was after 2 yrs owning it.

havent flown since 97. plan to get a P-51 82" wingspan!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts