Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and street race all the time. I'm actually very good! This may sound stupid but I don't know what the term to "double clutch" means. The crazy thing is I probably do it all the time, but what is it?

·
Registered
897 Posts
you shouldn't be doing it if you drag race,

its when clutch twice to keep high revs for going through corners to stay in the fat part of your power band when you come out.

lemme guess, "granny shifting, not double clutching like you should've."

no need to double clutch in a street race. just make your shifts as fast as you can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm pretty sure thats wrong. If you drive a turbo, you wanna keep that spinnin as fast as you want, and thats what double-clutchin in a drag is gonna do. Else, yea you're right, no need to double clutch it in a drag.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No need to double clutch in a drag race

Totally True, I don't even single clutch most of the time. But that's a T-5 in a Camaro, not sure how well a honda tranny would take it.

p.s. I love Power shifting

Later, Garrett

·
Registered
207 Posts
Double clutching does nothing to do with keeping a turbo spooled. Its purpose is to match the input shaft speed with the speed of the flywheel when downshifting on a road course.

Double clutching in a drag race will only slow you down. Either just single clutch it, powershift it, or if you've got a pro shifted tranny, you don't need to use the clutch at all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FiveOboy01, I totally agree.

Your car looks freakin' awesome, where are you located in Wisconsin (I saw the plates). Also I am picking up a bone stock '87 Mustang GT w/ a 5 speed and I have about $1000 to play with on it what do you suggest for cheap effective mods.

Thanks, Garrett

·
Registered
207 Posts
CamaroFreak406 said:
FiveOboy01, I totally agree.

Your car looks freakin' awesome, where are you located in Wisconsin (I saw the plates). Also I am picking up a bone stock '87 Mustang GT w/ a 5 speed and I have about $1000 to play with on it what do you suggest for cheap effective mods.

Thanks, Garrett
Thanks for the compliment. I live in Waunakee, which is about 10 minutes from madison.

Bang for the buck, if I had 1K to spend, this is what I'd do...

Dry nitrous system - 500 or so bucks
Gears - 200, probably 400 if installed
Offroad H-pipe and cat back - about 350 if you look for the right stuff
And a set of slicks(little over your budget)

You'll see low low 12s with this setup.

If you're not up to putting nitrous on it -

Gears
FULL exhaust(headers back)
UD pullies
A bigger MAF sensor and K&N filter

On slicks, this would net you low low 13s, possibly better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts