Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, anybody else racing (or planning on racing) an Accord? I've got a 94 EX Vtec that I'm getting preped. I've started adding suspension mods (spring, shocks, sway bars, etc..) and engine mods (intake, header, exhaust, plugs, etc..). Then I've just got to do the brakes and I'm ready!

Does anybody know what class an Accord with these kind of mods would be in?

Also, where can I find the rules and regs for racing in auto-x?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This isn't official, but it's pretty darn accurate. It'll at least give you an idea of where you'll be.

Car Classifications

·
Registered
9 Posts
I forgot to add that I believe you'll be in STS, depending on your tires.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
List all your mods. Mostlikely with all your stuff (no cams, cam gears or internal engine work OR internal tranny work) is legal for STS.

NO DOT Racing tires only street legal tires above 140 tread wear.
intake
headers
exhaust
pulleys
suspension
strut bars
sway bars
shocks
wheels up to 7.5" wide
tires up to 225 wide
short shifters
seats that recline
spark plugs
spark plug wires
body kits
and some other things which I cannot think of now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Body changes?

Ok, am I reading the rules for street prepared wrong, or does it say you can't make body changes like bumper and side skirts?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Most likely STS for you. I HIGHLY recommend reducing unspring weight. the accelleration sucks stock. the gearing isn't good for autocross as it would be for a track. a Prelude tranny will fix that (direct bolt on).

unfortunately for me, i have to play with the big dogs because of my suspension mods even though I am a beginner :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you think a turbocharger would help? I've considered it.

But, I'm also thinking about buying a Nissan 240sx and building it as a racer. And keeping my accord as a driver. (Still tricked out though).

I know the 240 can be turboed. I've also read that it is a really good handling car with suspension mods.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ozarkbw said:
Do you think a turbocharger would help? I've considered it.

But, I'm also thinking about buying a Nissan 240sx and building it as a racer. And keeping my accord as a driver. (Still tricked out though).

I know the 240 can be turboed. I've also read that it is a really good handling car with suspension mods.
A turbo would help. The F22b1 is an awesome engine to turbo. Low compression and strong bottem end. I wouldn't go over 8 psi to be safe (unless you strengthen the motor). But if you turbo your car, it will kick you up to a higher class. You will go up against a lot of people who have a lot of experience and really know what they are doing.

The 240sx is a cool car. I have some experience with them. They handle great. You can swap a SR20DET in it easily for some kick-ass power. But the stock 2.4L is good enough. Remember, the 240 has some problems and will not be nearly as reliable as the good ol Accord.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, if I do buy one to race, it's only going to be to race. Depending on which class, I'll pretty much strip it. No need for A/C, door panels, etc..

I would also replace pretty much all the suspension, as well as doing the usual bolt-ons.

Do you know of some problems with specific year models? Especially with engine?

·
Registered
281 Posts
ozarkbw said:
Well, if I do buy one to race, it's only going to be to race. Depending on which class, I'll pretty much strip it. No need for A/C, door panels, etc..

I would also replace pretty much all the suspension, as well as doing the usual bolt-ons.

Do you know of some problems with specific year models? Especially with engine?
I'm not sure about the specifics. I'm not a Nissan expert. But I know a friend of mine had all kinds of problems with it. Mostly minor. but nowhere close to being as reliable as any Honda :)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Turboing your car would bump you to Mod class. Basically people spending LOTS OF $$$. Look what won Nationals this year - an Audi S4 with TONS of mods.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Half the fun is doing the mods! I know the goal of SCCA is to provide a level playing field, but sometimes too many sanctions take the fun out.

The track close to me, in Tulsa, has a local series that's pretty open. As long as you know how to do the mods, you can race it. I may stick to that for the immediate future.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
If you want to race SCCA the learn how to drive. the driver is way more important than the car. I have seen a ragged out RX-7 lay waist to other high dollor cars, all because the driver was very skilled.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
infinatenexus said:
If you want to race SCCA the learn how to drive. the driver is way more important than the car. I have seen a ragged out RX-7 lay waist to other high dollor cars, all because the driver was very skilled.
So so true. A dodge Viper, Ferrari 355 Spyder, and an NSX showed up (on separate occassions) and I spanked them by 10 or more seconds :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
CivicSiRacer said:
So so true. A dodge Viper, Ferrari 355 Spyder, and an NSX showed up (on separate occassions) and I spanked them by 10 or more seconds :)
I have seen a tape of a Lanborgini Diablo at a california auto-x. the guy hit atleast 10 cones and miata's were spanking it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts