Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So fellow SHO members/Officers, is it true that if radar is being shot at you and you take your foot off the gas and coast that the radar won't read? I have always heard this and just want 100% clerification.
Also feel free to reveal any special things we should know about radar and laser.........oh yeah The Valentine One...does it really work? My friend swears by it and I used it once and liked it but didn't get much action with it.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
PAC-MAN said:
So fellow SHO members/Officers, is it true that if radar is being shot at you and you take your foot off the gas and coast that the radar won't read? I have always heard this and just want 100% clerification.
Also feel free to reveal any special things we should know about radar and laser.........oh yeah The Valentine One...does it really work? My friend swears by it and I used it once and liked it but didn't get much action with it.
thats new to me, the radar is always active. It reads our speed and yours in moving mode, no matter if I'm on the gas or brakes or you are. Our radar is the same as the ones used for baseball, and baseballs are slowing down as they come to the plate. Don't know about what electronics work

·
Registered
884 Posts
When i did a ride along w/ the LA County Sheriff's Dept the officer used a laser cause he said they were more accurate, however, if you stab on the brakes while the laser is on you it won't take a reading. The down side to that is if your car does a sudden nosedive when the officer comes into view, he knows you were going too fast and can find another reason to stop or cite you.

I guess that doesn't really answer your question though, sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alex33 said:
When i did a ride along w/ the LA County Sheriff's Dept the officer used a laser cause he said they were more accurate, however, if you stab on the brakes while the laser is on you it won't take a reading. The down side to that is if your car does a sudden nosedive when the officer comes into view, he knows you were going too fast and can find another reason to stop or cite you.

Actually that helped quite a bit, I always thought that if your foot was on the gas or brake that it would read your mph. Good Stuff, thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
Alex33 said:

The only way the LIDAR (laser) would temp lose a reading when you stabbed on the brakes is beacuse what ever the officer was bouncing the laser signal off of moved out of sight from the sudden shift of weight(bumper, windshield,etc).Laser is a sight based radar that shoots a direct beam onto whatever your target is. When an officer uses this he looks through scope and places the crosshairs on your vehicle.

·
Registered
884 Posts
DeeBoyz, I'm not familiar with the math behind it, but I actually used it on a few cars myself so I know how it works and all that great stuff. The gun we used had a square w/ a dot in the center of it and I just placed the dot on the car and pulled the trigger. It usually worked no problem, but in a couple cases where the vehicle decreased speed dramatically while it was taking a reading it would flash an error message. The officer I rode with said that was normal. That's the experience I was speaking from. Hope that clears up any confusion.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
PAC-MAN said:
I can tell you that in claifornia they are useless. The same goes for most of the larger agencies across the country as well. They will work with the old style radar but not with the newer versions. The old style would constantly emit a signal, where the newer units do not. Without a signal the detector won't see it. With the new style it only transmits when the officer is targeting a vehicle. So basically they will tell you when you are about to get fucked. But by the time it sees the radar wave the officer already has you. Plus there are a lot of things in the atmosphere and other objects that will send a signal similar to that of radar and cause the detector to trip.

G

·
I'm a little confused, is this new radar is ALWAYS on?

In NY state, the officer has to visually observe and estimate your speed before they are allowed to tag you. The radar is just to "double check." Is it like that in other states, as well?

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
Civic Ex Chick said:
I'm a little confused, is this new radar is ALWAYS on?

In NY state, the officer has to visually observe and estimate your speed before they are allowed to tag you. The radar is just to "double check." Is it like that in other states, as well?
no..it isnt always on..it only emits the radio waves when the officer is recording a speed.

And they don't HAVE to do that..but thats the proper way to work radar. YOu spot a target, estimate it speed, point and shoot, you hear an audio doppler tone and that should match your estimation and what the unit displays.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
the radar make a higher pitch noise the faster the car is moving so we just kick back and listen for that down here. we can tell by the sound the radar is giving off how fast they are going, about.

G

·
Glenfiddich_man said:
the radar make a higher pitch noise the faster the car is moving so we just kick back and listen for that down here. we can tell by the sound the radar is giving off how fast they are going, about.
In NY they can't do that, unless they have recently changed the law. Though, who is really going to prove they weren't?

*Once, I was walking the dog at about 11pm, and I took him down the hedges of a parking lot. There was a cop sitting there with his dome light on, as I walked closer behing I saw what he was doing!! It included a magazine (the kind with pictures) and his hand. :fear *

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
Glenfiddich_man said:
:nod audio doppler tone

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
Civic Ex Chick said:
In NY they can't do that, unless they have recently changed the law. Though, who is really going to prove they weren't?

*Once, I was walking the dog at about 11pm, and I took him down the hedges of a parking lot. There was a cop sitting there with his dome light on, as I walked closer behing I saw what he was doing!! It included a magazine (the kind with pictures) and his hand. :fear *
eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

playig with his expandable baton?

G

·
VTECsqznN2O said:
eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

playig with his expandable baton?

LOL. That he was! I had to resist going up and knocking on the window. The look on his face would have been priceless!

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
Civic Ex Chick said:
LOL. That he was! I had to resist going up and knocking on the window. The look on his face would have been priceless!
yes indeed

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
Civic Ex Chick said:

was it like teh scene in super troopers. LMAO :noo

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
Glenfiddich_man said:
was it like teh scene in super troopers. LMAO :noo
:lol

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
Civic Ex Chick said:
I've never seen the movie?
omg...you....you...omg....you need to watch it

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.