Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
I can tell you that in claifornia they are useless. The same goes for most of the larger agencies across the country as well. They will work with the old style radar but not with the newer versions. The old style would constantly emit a signal, where the newer units do not. Without a signal the detector won't see it. With the new style it only transmits when the officer is targeting a vehicle. So basically they will tell you when you are about to get fucked. But by the time it sees the radar wave the officer already has you. Plus there are a lot of things in the atmosphere and other objects that will send a signal similar to that of radar and cause the detector to trip.
Not true. My friend swears by the V-1 radar, the thing is very accurate and sophisticated. It will ignore all the weak nose signals, and it would catch a radar signal from more that 2 miles away, or behind a hill. A cop doesn't just measure YOUR speed, they measure other people's speed, and that is what the radar catches. (In fact you will see the V-1 go off, then stay quiet, then go off again if the radar is being turend on and off.)

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
ib042129 said:
Not true. My friend swears by the V-1 radar, the thing is very accurate and sophisticated. It will ignore all the weak nose signals, and it would catch a radar signal from more that 2 miles away, or behind a hill. A cop doesn't just measure YOUR speed, they measure other people's speed, and that is what the radar catches. (In fact you will see the V-1 go off, then stay quiet, then go off again if the radar is being turend on and off.)
It doesnt mater if he is targeting you or the car ahead of you..its jsut warning you that you would be fucked if you were being targeted. And all the ones that read k band etc..and trip on those..are not ignoring weak signals..nobody has k band..its all ka now..problem is..that the ka band is far narrower then the otehr bands that the officer can pinpoint a single vehicle much easier then before..either way..They are really useless.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
It doesnt mater if he is targeting you or the car ahead of you..its jsut warning you that you would be fucked if you were being targeted. And all the ones that read k band etc..and trip on those..are not ignoring weak signals..nobody has k band..its all ka now..problem is..that the ka band is far narrower then the otehr bands that the officer can pinpoint a single vehicle much easier then before..either way..They are really useless.
Yes, of course, if youre being targeted it's too late. But if the cop is targeting people ahead of you, the V1 will detect that. And the cops still use k band sometimes too, you can't just ignore that band. I guess the trick with V1 is recognizing which signal is fake and which is a cop. (or just slow down whenever it goes off.)

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
ib042129 said:
Yes, of course, if youre being targeted it's too late. But if the cop is targeting people ahead of you, the V1 will detect that. And the cops still use k band sometimes too, you can't just ignore that band. I guess the trick with V1 is recognizing which signal is fake and which is a cop. (or just slow down whenever it goes off.)
the only agencies that use k band are the ones who are about 10 years behind the times...almost everyone has gone to ka band or laser.

Or you can jsut drive the speed limit and not have anythign to worry about :giggle

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
the only agencies that use k band are the ones who are about 10 years behind the times...almost everyone has gone to ka band or laser.

Or you can jsut drive the speed limit and not have anythign to worry about :giggle
IDK, my friend always tells me of cops using k band occasinally in the San Jose area (I guess they go back to K band stuff for those ppl who have detectirs and think its a fake signal.) Also, if you drive about 100miles north of San Francisco on higway 101(camping and such) the little towns there earn their money from traffic tickes, and the cops use all the bands possible to catch you.

Of course going the speed limit if teh only sure way not to get a ticket. And you should do that on teh city streets, but If youre on the higway with little traffic, and have a long way to go, I would feel that it's pretty safe to speed as long as you know what youre doing.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
ib042129 said:
IDK, my friend always tells me of cops using k band occasinally in the San Jose area (I guess they go back to K band stuff for those ppl who have detectirs and think its a fake signal.) Also, if you drive about 100miles north of San Francisco on higway 101(camping and such) the little towns there earn their money from traffic tickes, and the cops use all the bands possible to catch you.

Of course going the speed limit if teh only sure way not to get a ticket. And you should do that on teh city streets, but If youre on the higway with little traffic, and have a long way to go, I would feel that it's pretty safe to speed as long as you know what youre doing.
There is no reason to go back to k band..its a wider signal then the ka band is and is harder to get a decent lock and have it be accurate. Thats why they developed on the ka band. Is a narrower signal and is mroe directed then the other bands..laser is about a 5 degree spred, ka about 10 degree, k is about 15..and X band is about 20. Plus, every detector I have ever seen covers x,k and ka..So there is no purpose to go back to k. ANd the other problem is that you can't make money from traffic tickets...After its all said and done each agency makes less then 4% of the overall fine. The court is the first one to raid the money, then the state, then the county, and lastly the city. The small agencies wouldn't get enough traffic to supplement their income that way. They rely on state funding.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
There is no reason to go back to k band..its a wider signal then the ka band is and is harder to get a decent lock and have it be accurate. Thats why they developed on the ka band. Is a narrower signal and is mroe directed then the other bands..laser is about a 5 degree spred, ka about 10 degree, k is about 15..and X band is about 20. Plus, every detector I have ever seen covers x,k and ka..So there is no purpose to go back to k. ANd the other problem is that you can't make money from traffic tickets...After its all said and done each agency makes less then 4% of the overall fine. The court is the first one to raid the money, then the state, then the county, and lastly the city. The small agencies wouldn't get enough traffic to supplement their income that way. They rely on state funding.
I dont know, but I have seen both k and ka be used. As far as earning money from tickets, it's just my guess that what they do, it's just that cops in that area are very anal about speeding, they will stop you for anything, and they will never give warnings, and only non local people get caught, and the highway is either full of traffic and you can't speed even if you want to, or empty and it's fairly safe to go faster cause there's no people around anyways. I don't know of any other reason for the cops to be that strict in that area. I mean for example I stopped a cop there once to ask for dirrections in the middle of the night, and he for some reason decided to follow me and keep checking my speed. (If that makes sense.)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
The small agencies wouldn't get enough traffic to supplement their income that way. They rely on state funding.
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, 101North gets quite a bit of tourist traffic with peole going to the lakes and park areas, and I guess even skiing in the winter.

G

·
VTECsqznN2O said:
omg...you....you...omg....you need to watch it
It was on twice this weekend, but I apparently missed the part you're referring to. I'll have to rent it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Civic Ex Chick said:
In NY they can't do that, unless they have recently changed the law. Though, who is really going to prove they weren't?

*Once, I was walking the dog at about 11pm, and I took him down the hedges of a parking lot. There was a cop sitting there with his dome light on, as I walked closer behing I saw what he was doing!! It included a magazine (the kind with pictures) and his hand. :fear *
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Radar Questions

Is it true that cops can't read how fast a car is going when the car is primered with there radar gun? Because I heard the radar speed gun reads the vehicles speed from the reflection of the car.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
its a myth. Paint has no bearing on radar.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
Glenfiddich_man said:
didn't we go over radar somewhere on here? his gets old, but I guess we can educate again
did we? lol..i jsut changed the title and stickied it to be radar related..fuck it..we can delete it if you want..makes nevermind to me..i know abotu radar :lol

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
scottigee said:
Put it this way dude, if you can see the car, then there's all kinds of shit bouncing off it. Radar is one of them.
simple way to put it :hehe

21 - 40 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.