41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
the only agencies that use k band are the ones who are about 10 years behind the times...almost everyone has gone to ka band or laser.

Or you can jsut drive the speed limit and not have anythign to worry about :giggle

i'm in texas and i've seen several state troopers using k band (majority) and some using ka, and a limited few using laser

·
Registered
210 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
I can tell you that in claifornia they are useless. The same goes for most of the larger agencies across the country as well. They will work with the old style radar but not with the newer versions. The old style would constantly emit a signal, where the newer units do not. Without a signal the detector won't see it. With the new style it only transmits when the officer is targeting a vehicle. So basically they will tell you when you are about to get fucked. But by the time it sees the radar wave the officer already has you. Plus there are a lot of things in the atmosphere and other objects that will send a signal similar to that of radar and cause the detector to trip.
yes i've seen this whilst i was driving...called flash radar or something

yes it sucks, cause when the detector picks it up, its too late; which is why you should (if you do speed) speed with some reasoning...when on the freeway, try to find a mule to place yourself behind. this is always easy for me, on the freeways in tx, very easy. find someone not going too fast, i always follow for 10-20 over, depending on the situation. plant yourself about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile back. that way, when the cop paints yer mule, your detector should pick it up and give you plenty of time to slow down-> this always works for me...just make sure you arent someone elses mule :ninja

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
It doesnt mater if he is targeting you or the car ahead of you..its jsut warning you that you would be fucked if you were being targeted. And all the ones that read k band etc..and trip on those..are not ignoring weak signals..nobody has k band..its all ka now..problem is..that the ka band is far narrower then the otehr bands that the officer can pinpoint a single vehicle much easier then before..either way..They are really useless.
NOt true, here in SC local city cops as well as highway patrol and county sheriffs all over hte state still use K band. it seems to be about half K and Half Ka.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
UnFukWitAble said:
NOt true, here in SC local city cops as well as highway patrol and county sheriffs all over hte state still use K band. it seems to be about half K and Half Ka.
LASO Sherrifs use laser. And CHP upgraded to ka several years back because the moving mode radar was improved greatly with ka because chp uses moving mode so much. Some of the CHP motor officers have laser though.

I still stand behind my statement that almost nobody uses K band anymore if anyone. YOu may get it in some of the small rural towns and I have yet to come across a southern california agency that uses anything less then Ka. Nobody even makes K band units anymore.

·
Registered
210 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
LASO Sherrifs use laser. And CHP upgraded to ka several years back because the moving mode radar was improved greatly with ka because chp uses moving mode so much. Some of the CHP motor officers have laser though.

I still stand behind my statement that almost nobody uses K band anymore if anyone. YOu may get it in some of the small rural towns and I have yet to come across a southern california agency that uses anything less then Ka. Nobody even makes K band units anymore.
yeah this is prob true...i wouldnt know, i've never been to california. it is probably our rural texas towns. but i have seen it in troopers, like i said, so thats what i was wondering about.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
rmz said:
yeah this is prob true...i wouldnt know, i've never been to california. it is probably our rural texas towns. but i have seen it in troopers, like i said, so thats what i was wondering about.
your location is round rock, dude do you have a Dell? Sorry: offtopic

·
Registered
61 Posts

I live in Phoenix Arizona...

And they just installed these new radar units on the freeway...

Yep, I just got caught..I didn't know about thembut they are tricky with radars now...

I WILL NEVER TYPE IN ALL CAPS AGAIN!!! OTHERWISE THE NICE MODS IN THE LE SECTION WILL DELETE MY POSTS. :D

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
applestar13 said:
I LIVE IN PHOENIX ARIZONA...

AND THEY JUST INSTALLED THESE NEW RADAR ON THE FREEWAY...

YEP, I JUST GOT CAUGHT.I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THEM BUT THEY ARE TRICKY WITH RADARS NOW...

Sucks to be you.....did they also install perm caps lock on your keyboard without you knowing?

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
UnFukWitAble said:
Sucks to be you.....did they also install perm caps lock on your keyboard without you knowing?
:hehe fixed

·
Registered
265 Posts
applestar13 said:
I live in Phoenix Arizona...

And they just installed these new radar units on the freeway...

Yep, I just got caught..I didn't know about thembut they are tricky with radars now...

I WILL NEVER TYPE IN ALL CAPS AGAIN!!! OTHERWISE THE NICE MODS IN THE LE SECTION WILL DELETE MY POSTS. :D
Scottsdale sucks. for you non arizona people, the rich city that paid for photo radar on state highways!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hey guys...

I have a cheaper radar detector... Not the cheapest, but cheaper..
It was like $220 at Best Buy...
I forgot what model, and I dont feel like going out to the truck...
Anyways, Im from San Diego, and Phoenix, and up in Northern Arizona near Lake Havasu, Bullhead City, and just across the river from Laughlin, Nv.

First of all, I used to go from San Diego to Here and then to Phoenix once a week.
Thats a 600 mile trip, not including the trip BACK to san diego (add 430 miles onto that... haha)

I have not once gotten tagged for speeding with this thing.
I am doing interstate trips, through the middle of the desert...
Were talkin, 100 steady in a 75, for 300 miles...

I have had my radar go off on Interstates probably about 40-50 times in the last 12 months, when there was actually a cop around. Usually Oncoming or parked under a bridge, or in the desert, just waiting for ME.

I have seen cops use K, Ka, and, beleive it or not, X Band... and EVERYTHIN sets x band off. But I know it was a cop because there was nothing but cactus for like 150 miles in any direction, and it went to 5, then i passed the cop, and then it shut up.

Also, I drive ALL over southern california, and I have NEVER once seen Laser. My radar has warned me of it quite a few times, but I have never seen the 'Radaring Officer' in those cases.

Radar detectors may not be perfect. But I know, as far as the experience I have with them, They have saved my fu***** life!!!
I swear by them. Just dont get cheap on one. I am about to purchase a Valentine. I have heard good things. I have 2 of these ones i have, one in my truck, and one that is hardwired into my SR20 Nissan Silvia, and holy hell have they saved my ass...

Just my $.02

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a Valentine and I can definetly vouch for the effectivness. I've owned a cheaper radar before (cheaper by $300) and I can definetly tell you the V1 will go off before any other detector would. Then again, I never got caught speeding with the cheap detector either. Really it just comes down to the driver.

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
wow..i can spend $300 and have a device possibly prevent me from getting a ticket...or I can jsut not drive like a jack ass, save the $300 for something useful, and not have to worry...wow..let me go out and buy one :rolleyes

·
Registered
699 Posts
lol... i think its a small investment...
especially like in my case...
a young tattoo'd guy with dark blue liberty spikes, i get more attention that anyone could ever need... and sometimes there is that 1 cop that really wants to get me... more like a personal thing...
i know im not the only one thats been followed by a cop before, but it happens to me alot... esp. when i go home, back to carlsbad or oceanside, its really bad...
I moved out of carlsbad when i was 17 because of the harrasment i got from the local police...
I have been tailed hundreds of times, and for some reason i always feel better knowing if theyve got the gun on me or not, so i know what i need to do to make sure he has no reason to pull me over and i can get into another city...
sounds completely redicilous, but i have reasons...
ever been pulled over and searched because you have dirt on your car?
ever had your pictures in your backpack "impounded" on that above mentioned search because there is a guy in the pictures thatdoesnt look like an upstanding citizen?

i got stopped at 8 pm when i was 16, while walking back from the grocery store with my girlfriend... they stopped me because my jacket made me look suspicious... it was night time and it was pouring rain out...
they searched me, and found condoms i had just bought... they called my girlfriends mom and told her "your daughter is out here with this kid that has condoms, i dont think she should be allowed to be with him" and they made her mom come get her... why?

I will point out that most of this has occoured in Carlsbad, Ca.
I hate that place... But anywhere else, not a huge reason really... Out in the middle of the desert on 300-400 mile trips, at night, ill cruise about 90 in a 75, and the truckers are usually doing 80-85 (truckers dont have to do 55 in AZ like they do in CA) so i just like to make sure i wont get popped for that...

·
Registered
89 Posts
VTECsqznN2O said:
wow..i can spend $300 and have a device possibly prevent me from getting a ticket...or I can jsut not drive like a jack ass, save the $300 for something useful, and not have to worry...wow..let me go out and buy one :rolleyes
or just get one for free and enjoy using it like I do? :rolleyes

·
Premium Member
23,754 Posts
97HAcc407 said:
or just get one for free and enjoy using it like I do? :rolleyes
and you could also not drive like a jackass and would NEVER have to worry :rolleyes

41 - 60 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.