Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Radar Myth?

16K views 87 replies 26 participants last post by  crvchris 
#1 ·
So fellow SHO members/Officers, is it true that if radar is being shot at you and you take your foot off the gas and coast that the radar won't read? I have always heard this and just want 100% clerification.
Also feel free to reveal any special things we should know about radar and laser.........oh yeah The Valentine One...does it really work? My friend swears by it and I used it once and liked it but didn't get much action with it.

#53 ·
UnFukWitAble said:
Sucks to be you.....did they also install perm caps lock on your keyboard without you knowing?
:hehe fixed

#54 ·
applestar13 said:
I live in Phoenix Arizona...

And they just installed these new radar units on the freeway...

Yep, I just got caught..I didn't know about thembut they are tricky with radars now...

I WILL NEVER TYPE IN ALL CAPS AGAIN!!! OTHERWISE THE NICE MODS IN THE LE SECTION WILL DELETE MY POSTS. :D
Scottsdale sucks. for you non arizona people, the rich city that paid for photo radar on state highways!

#55 ·
Hey guys...

I have a cheaper radar detector... Not the cheapest, but cheaper..
It was like $220 at Best Buy...
I forgot what model, and I dont feel like going out to the truck...
Anyways, Im from San Diego, and Phoenix, and up in Northern Arizona near Lake Havasu, Bullhead City, and just across the river from Laughlin, Nv.

First of all, I used to go from San Diego to Here and then to Phoenix once a week.
Thats a 600 mile trip, not including the trip BACK to san diego (add 430 miles onto that... haha)

I have not once gotten tagged for speeding with this thing.
I am doing interstate trips, through the middle of the desert...
Were talkin, 100 steady in a 75, for 300 miles...

I have had my radar go off on Interstates probably about 40-50 times in the last 12 months, when there was actually a cop around. Usually Oncoming or parked under a bridge, or in the desert, just waiting for ME.

I have seen cops use K, Ka, and, beleive it or not, X Band... and EVERYTHIN sets x band off. But I know it was a cop because there was nothing but cactus for like 150 miles in any direction, and it went to 5, then i passed the cop, and then it shut up.

Also, I drive ALL over southern california, and I have NEVER once seen Laser. My radar has warned me of it quite a few times, but I have never seen the 'Radaring Officer' in those cases.

Radar detectors may not be perfect. But I know, as far as the experience I have with them, They have saved my fu***** life!!!
I swear by them. Just dont get cheap on one. I am about to purchase a Valentine. I have heard good things. I have 2 of these ones i have, one in my truck, and one that is hardwired into my SR20 Nissan Silvia, and holy hell have they saved my ass...

Just my $.02

#56 ·
I have a Valentine and I can definetly vouch for the effectivness. I've owned a cheaper radar before (cheaper by $300) and I can definetly tell you the V1 will go off before any other detector would. Then again, I never got caught speeding with the cheap detector either. Really it just comes down to the driver.

#57 ·
wow..i can spend $300 and have a device possibly prevent me from getting a ticket...or I can jsut not drive like a jack ass, save the $300 for something useful, and not have to worry...wow..let me go out and buy one :rolleyes

#58 ·
lol... i think its a small investment...
especially like in my case...
a young tattoo'd guy with dark blue liberty spikes, i get more attention that anyone could ever need... and sometimes there is that 1 cop that really wants to get me... more like a personal thing...
i know im not the only one thats been followed by a cop before, but it happens to me alot... esp. when i go home, back to carlsbad or oceanside, its really bad...
I moved out of carlsbad when i was 17 because of the harrasment i got from the local police...
I have been tailed hundreds of times, and for some reason i always feel better knowing if theyve got the gun on me or not, so i know what i need to do to make sure he has no reason to pull me over and i can get into another city...
sounds completely redicilous, but i have reasons...
ever been pulled over and searched because you have dirt on your car?
ever had your pictures in your backpack "impounded" on that above mentioned search because there is a guy in the pictures thatdoesnt look like an upstanding citizen?

i got stopped at 8 pm when i was 16, while walking back from the grocery store with my girlfriend... they stopped me because my jacket made me look suspicious... it was night time and it was pouring rain out...
they searched me, and found condoms i had just bought... they called my girlfriends mom and told her "your daughter is out here with this kid that has condoms, i dont think she should be allowed to be with him" and they made her mom come get her... why?

I will point out that most of this has occoured in Carlsbad, Ca.
I hate that place... But anywhere else, not a huge reason really... Out in the middle of the desert on 300-400 mile trips, at night, ill cruise about 90 in a 75, and the truckers are usually doing 80-85 (truckers dont have to do 55 in AZ like they do in CA) so i just like to make sure i wont get popped for that...

#59 ·
VTECsqznN2O said:
wow..i can spend $300 and have a device possibly prevent me from getting a ticket...or I can jsut not drive like a jack ass, save the $300 for something useful, and not have to worry...wow..let me go out and buy one :rolleyes
or just get one for free and enjoy using it like I do? :rolleyes

#60 ·
97HAcc407 said:
or just get one for free and enjoy using it like I do? :rolleyes
and you could also not drive like a jackass and would NEVER have to worry :rolleyes

#62 ·
PAC-MAN said:
So fellow SHO members/Officers, is it true that if radar is being shot at you and you take your foot off the gas and coast that the radar won't read? I have always heard this and just want 100% clerification.
Also feel free to reveal any special things we should know about radar and laser.........oh yeah The Valentine One...does it really work? My friend swears by it and I used it once and liked it but didn't get much action with it.
Valentine One does work. A lot of BMW owners have it. I'd read story after story of tickets avoided bacause of it.

#63 ·
Myself being a physics major...

When Cops use radar (mostly local cops around here) instead of Laser, you can always say that it was the person on the other side who was speeding.

When the radar gun is fired, it records the doppler shift (the changed frequency that comes back after the gun is fired at a certain frequency) and is then able to calculate your speed. So if your driving on the Highway and you are pulled over, ask the cop if he was using laser or radar. If it was radar then ask him how hes sure you were the one who was speeding, and not the porche on the other side of the road going northbound. This actualy help up in court in CT so many times that the highway cops no longer use radar because of the massive amount of tickets that were nulled by speeding physics majors. :byye

#64 ·
Damn Clownz said:
Myself being a physics major...

When Cops use radar (mostly local cops around here) instead of Laser, you can always say that it was the person on the other side who was speeding.

When the radar gun is fired, it records the doppler shift (the changed frequency that comes back after the gun is fired at a certain frequency) and is then able to calculate your speed. So if your driving on the Highway and you are pulled over, ask the cop if he was using laser or radar. If it was radar then ask him how hes sure you were the one who was speeding, and not the porche on the other side of the road going northbound. This actualy help up in court in CT so many times that the highway cops no longer use radar because of the massive amount of tickets that were nulled by speeding physics majors. :byye
that works, but before we clock your speed we have to make an estimation of how fast we believe you are going. That's the biggest part of taking a radar class is the estimation of speed. And any good officer knows the best locations to run radar and cross traffic will be limited in that location.

#65 ·
in chicago is illegale for cops to judge speed by sight. They can pull you over, but if you dont think they shot you with the radar gun then you can tell them NO. Then he has to walk you back to his car and show u your speed on the radar gun box. And if theres nothing, you drive away.

So ive been told anyway

#66 ·
Damn Clownz said:
in chicago is illegale for cops to judge speed by sight. They can pull you over, but if you dont think they shot you with the radar gun then you can tell them NO. Then he has to walk you back to his car and show u your speed on the radar gun box. And if theres nothing, you drive away.

So ive been told anyway
thats kinda shady information. Because we have to estimate speed, then run the radar/laser. And further more we are not allowed to get radar locks in Florida, so there is no chance that you will ever see the speed. Its actual FL law that we can't radar lock. And if we don't get you on radar, but we know you are speeding, we can always write you for Careless driving. And many other stated have similar laws, sometimes called "Basic Violation of Speed"

#67 ·
yeh i thought it was kinda shady info to.

But really?? u cant radar lock in florida???? thats amazing considering how many times ive been radar locked in florida. Brought along my radar detector and put it in the rental car. Was lighting up like a christmas tree whenever a cop drove by.

Got a question for ya, when driving along I-95 up here, i usualy see stateys on the other side of the barrier, should i be worried about speeding by them? Or should i just keep on going thinking their not gona jump the next exit and track me down? (im usualy goin 80-85 in a 65mph zone)

#68 ·
Damn Clownz said:

But really?? u cant radar lock in florida???? thats amazing considering how many times ive been radar locked in florida. Brought along my radar detector and put it in the rental car. Was lighting up like a christmas tree whenever a cop drove by.

Got a question for ya, when driving along I-95 up here, i usualy see stateys on the other side of the barrier, should i be worried about speeding by them? Or should i just keep on going thinking their not gona jump the next exit and track me down? (im usualy goin 80-85 in a 65mph zone)

nope seen it happen before, some times there will be a cop sitting along the side of a on ramp on a bridge and will be radaring people going both ways and I've seen a few cops that were parked on the shoulder on the opposite side of the freeway that pulled out past traffic and flipped around through the center median. But in cases like that I would assume you would need to be excessively speeding, 20mph~+ for them to even consider doing something like that, especially if they are driving down the freeway already going the opposite direction

#69 ·
Damn Clownz said:

they will call other troopers if they are in the area, so you ain't completely safe. And we have the radar continuously running, it just doesn't lock to one set speed. Thats a reason we can say it was your car we were tracking. Because if there are other cars around the radar will jump between each cars speed. What we do is follow your vehicle and we can take a few readings to know what car we are getting for sure.

#70 ·
those radar detectors not always work. i have 2 of them and was pulled over never lit up till i had the cruiser behind me. lol(it's an older model.)
Damn Clownz said:

#71 ·
d16y8alltheway said:
those radar detectors not always work. i have 2 of them and was pulled over never lit up till i had the cruiser behind me. lol(it's an older model.)
with my cheap $90 cobra radar detector, I've been pulled over a few times but were all because I was being stupid and going too fast for conditions but anyways, every time I've been ticketed the detector always went off... The detector is not your only line of defense at avoiding a speeding ticket more of a aid than anything. I can't tell you how many speed traps I've avoided because of it, its paid for itself more than 10x over is well worth it, but if you drive like a complete jackass it can't save you from getting pulled over.

#73 ·
Info:

Deeboyz13 said:
When an officer uses this he looks through scope and places the crosshairs on your vehicle.

Deeeeee Dee Deeeeee!! Where did you get this non-sense? Point, Pull trigger, Busted!! I never seen a scope on one over our GVP radars. We just got this cool looking portable barricade laser in Florida. Remotely operated. Now you really better watch out!
The primer color things is funny too.

#74 ·
icu2cop said:
Deeeeee Dee Deeeeee!! Where did you get this non-sense? Point, Pull trigger, Busted!! I never seen a scope on one over our GVP radars. We just got this cool looking portable barricade laser in Florida. Remotely operated. Now you really better watch out!
thats radar, laser has an eye sight (from what I've seen) and basically a small little red box they try to place over the headlights or license plate to get a reading.

#75 ·
icu2cop said:
you obviously have never used a LIDAR(Laser)

#76 ·
infox said:
thats radar, laser has an eye sight (from what I've seen) and basically a small little red box they try to place over the headlights or license plate to get a reading.
you can put the laser beam anywhere on the car really. I got a car from 1900+ feet away once. I have also got the speed of flying birds and people running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.