Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,080 Posts
The amp turn on and the power antenna wire is the same. But it almost sounds like there is a short somewhere. How long have you had the cd player? Did it do it before you hooked up the amp? Maybe get your cd player checked out to see if it has a short in it. It could have a loose connection on the RCA outputs.

· Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crx4luke said:
The amp turn on and the power antenna wire is the same. But it almost sounds like there is a short somewhere. How long have you had the cd player? Did it do it before you hooked up the amp? Maybe get your cd player checked out to see if it has a short in it. It could have a loose connection on the RCA outputs.
i've had the cd player since this past september(about 6mos), it's been cool up until this, the player has worked fine...

now I can plug the remote wire directly into the fuse panel and the stuff works fine(cd player and all) plus the RCAs are still on the back of the cd player, so I don't think that's the problem...

but the problem with me doing it this way, is that I can turn off the car and the cd player/amp/subs all stay on and refuse to turn off even with the key out of the ignition(you might think I possibly have the remote wire in the wrong place, but apparently not as I've tried it in the other sections and this is the only one it works in), i've tried everything connection I can think of...

· Registered
1,104 Posts
electricsheep said:
So I've got 2 MTX Subs and amp hooked up to a Sony HU...

I have the remote wire hooked up to the AMP/ANT wire on the back of the HU, now the amp and subs only come on when I have the radio on, when i turn the cd player on, they go off...

whats the deal?
:confused: wierd...

· Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I do believe I have it fixed...

I removed the remote wire from the HU completely and connected it to a toggle switch since there's obviously some power getting through the remote wire in the other ways I had it hooked up, this way, all current to the remote wire will be cut off whenever the switch is off...

so now everything seems to be working fine, sure it's not as easy as just turning on the car and boom everything working fine, but toggle switches rule anyway!

· Registered
126 Posts
Why not hook it up to the accesory wire on your Head Unit. That way you won't have to use a toggle switch to turn your amps on and off. Make sure you fuse the turn on wire if your hooking it to the accessory wire.

Just an idea

1fast2dr

· Registered
62 Posts
no no no...i know exactly wut the prob is with ur car. well there aint really a prob with either ur HU or amp. the reason why ur subs only power with ur radio and not ur cd is because u hooked it up to the antenna. ur antenna turns off when ur radio's off and ur cd player's on. get it? my adivce to u is to hook the remote to the cigarette lighter. TRUST ME on this, i ran into the same exactly prob with my friend's install

· Registered
176 Posts
since you know you have a single wire that does both the antenna and the amp turn on is it possible you have a wireing harness from a different HU? maybe the harness your using with only 1 wire happens to be connected to the pin on your HU that is a power antenna connection and there is an empty pin in the harness that has the amp turn on?

· Registered
62 Posts
but see guys i'm 100% positive that i'm right cuz this is the same prob i ran into when installing my friend's amp. if u REALLY want ur amp to turn on when ur radio's on, i suggest u hook it to the fuse. if not then leave it alone connected to the toggle or hook it up to the cig lighter

· Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bass Mechanic said:
since you know you have a single wire that does both the antenna and the amp turn on is it possible you have a wireing harness from a different HU?
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Ok, the wiring harness I am using is for Sony, but it's an older harness with a different wiring setup. The newer setup has the amp and ant on different wires, as you already know.

But it's cool, I'm happy with the remote wire hooked to the toggle. The fact that I can kill the bass without turning the radio down is cool, especially for those days I have a headache ;) .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.