Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the most cost effective way to get a motor to rev higher without blowing up????? my friends 98 (b18b1) is packing a nice punch, but we know theres more power up there...it pulls straight to red without dropping off... we put in some stage 2 cams, intake and exhaust...how do i get to the power????????

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
hobie237 said:
what is the most cost effective way to get a motor to rev higher without blowing up????? my friends 98 (b18b1) is packing a nice punch, but we know theres more power up there...it pulls straight to red without dropping off... we put in some stage 2 cams, intake and exhaust...how do i get to the power????????
Build it right. Get it dyno tuned. Taking stock LS higher than what it's built to handle will cause Ka-Boom to happen.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
if you uprade the cams you can get more power from a higher reving engine. to make an ls rev higher you have to upgrade the valvetrain. like valve springs and such. while your doing the cams you can get adjustable cam gears, up the compression ratio, and some tuning software. Then take it to the dyno and tune.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
Get a new valve train so that you dont have any valve float. That and, depending on how high you rev, a new bottem end including crank, rods, and some pistons while your at it. Like said above ls's arent very stable at high revs b/c of the way it is stroked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's too much work to get an ls motor to run higher rpms. Unless your going Frankensteining look elseware for horse power. I know the feel you get at the top of the rpm gauge, and it feels like it can go higher, but thats the type of feel the Integras have. If you really need a high revving car you could also swap out for a gsr motor or an ITR, but like I said it's too much work.

I'm sorry if this comes out wrong or condecending it's just the way I type. I'm a pretty jovial person. :) PS: I can't spell

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
My integra definitly does not feel like it could keep going. After about 6K its so loud and really doesnt rev anymore. Maybe thats b/c I need a new cat.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Only your dyno pull of the new cams would tell if you still need to keep going or not. If power falls off before redline, then why change it? If power builds up past it then remove the rev limiter and see where its best to redline the motor.

However, the block is not made to rev so high so much upgraded parts will be required to keep it there healthy breathing.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Prelude94' said:
My integra definitly does not feel like it could keep going. After about 6K its so loud and really doesnt rev anymore. Maybe thats b/c I need a new cat.
that happens to me too. even though i have an auto, if i mash the gas, i can get up that high. is that really bad to go that high on the LS?

Reactions: subaruwrx18
1 - 11 of 11 Posts