Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I think someone on this board already knows the answer to my problem, so I make it quick. When I am coming to a stop, and my rpms drop between 1500 and 1000; I can hear the rattle noise (almost as if its right underneath the valve cover) like a pebble bouncing around in a tin cup. It never make a noise below 1000rpms, nor does it make a noise during acceleration. I have not exp. any loss of performance of any sort, but I am afraid this could led to BIGGER problems. And by the way, I have the Honda CARE 100K waranty on the Lude...Do ya'll think they would warrant this?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
auto tensioner i think.......go asap or u can bend your valves if it fails completely

·
Registered
42 Posts
it could also be something simple like a loose heat shield on your cat

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
dude, honda should have a recall about the auto tensioner. so many m8otherfuckers have had that same problem. including myself. im starting to think toyota is the best japanese maker. hondas qaulity has gone to shit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
BlackLuder said:
:confused: I think someone on this board already knows the answer to my problem, so I make it quick. When I am coming to a stop, and my rpms drop between 1500 and 1000; I can hear the rattle noise (almost as if its right underneath the valve cover) like a pebble bouncing around in a tin cup. It never make a noise below 1000rpms, nor does it make a noise during acceleration. I have not exp. any loss of performance of any sort, but I am afraid this could led to BIGGER problems. And by the way, I have the Honda CARE 100K waranty on the Lude...Do ya'll think they would warrant this?
You wouldn't happen to have dc sport headers would you?
If so the bracket that bolts the header to a brace behind the oil pan has been known to crack causing a chatering sound.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
97lude said:
auto tensioner i think.......go asap or u can bend your valves if it fails completely
Not true.

The valve in the auto tensioner can actually not receed once it has pushed out. If it "fails" it simply cannot tension out anymore and will stay where it is at.

There IS a TSB out for the tensioner. Go to your local Honda dealer, tell them the symptoms and mention this

01-010 JAN 01 Engine - Flapping Noise Between 1,800 & 2,600 RPM

The TSB number is 01-010. They will at least check to see if that is the problem.

TSB stands for technical service bulletin by the way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i wouldnt bother with the tensioner.
im fairly sure from what you said its either one of 3 things.

1> you have a DCsport header and the flewpipe is rattling,
solution get a new header

2> one the the nutz that hold your valvecover on is either loose, or broke off causing the rubber piece that covers the hole to rattle, its happening to my car right now.

3> you have a slight valve tap, but this is unlikly

but the auto tensioner problem is possible also, i dont know, but my car does it also. though ive replaced the tensioner on several ocasions.

4Bidden, did you fix the problem with your timing belt sliding off the cam gears? mine is still doing that, and im sure its either causing or the cause of the tapping thats going on in my motor.
let me know
pm me

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
LuDeHaTcH H22a said:
i wouldnt bother with the tensioner.
im fairly sure from what you said its either one of 3 things.

1> you have a DCsport header and the flewpipe is rattling,
solution get a new header

2> one the the nutz that hold your valvecover on is either loose, or broke off causing the rubber piece that covers the hole to rattle, its happening to my car right now.

3> you have a slight valve tap, but this is unlikly

but the auto tensioner problem is possible also, i dont know, but my car does it also. though ive replaced the tensioner on several ocasions.

4Bidden, did you fix the problem with your timing belt sliding off the cam gears? mine is still doing that, and im sure its either causing or the cause of the tapping thats going on in my motor.
let me know
pm me
will be willing to bet 100 dollars that it is the tensioner.:p

·
Registered
126 Posts
too rich for me, i have alot of rattling noises coming from my motor, so i wouldnt wanna bet on someone elses motor anyways:)

hopefully thats what it is, and then you should jsut get the manual tensioner

·
Registered
16 Posts
prelude97sh said:
will be willing to bet 100 dollars that it is the tensioner.:p
He's got a point and from my experience too.... it was the belt tensioner that went out on mine. Luckly the car died out and I was able to pull to the side. So since the engine had to be opened I took advantage of that and changed the timing belt, belt tensioner & water pump.

Good as new.

Peace! :clap

·
Registered
671 Posts
i am also having rattling noises...i can feel it under my pedals when i am stopped or when the motor is idle. what could this be?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts