Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as requested by UltraMagneticAL...

for the longest time i wanted to do this swap on my 92 accord LX, and this board provided me with a good place to do my homework. after much debate, i finally decided to do it and got my hands on a set of rear discs complete with everything that i needed. it was all for $240 from a local junkyard.

here are some pics i took as i installed them on halloween day. i was going to do a how-to but i didn't take enough pics. the installation is very straightforward. total installation time was 8hrs by myself. that included bleeding, e-brake cable adjustment, and test drive.

prior to installation

off the car

side by side comparison

finished product

for sale: 180k miles

for your enlightenment, i replaced the whole trailing arm, knuckle, and upper arm. i used the original LX soft lines and EX e-brake cables. ABS sensors were discarded. one section of the exhaust heatshield was removed to access the e-brake lines. one portion of the exhaust pipe was unbolted but not removed. the proportioning valve was NOT touched. for now, i don't feel that it's necessary to swap it out. so far so good. the braking is much more positive but it just started to rain and i wasn't able to test it out fully. i'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Cool, how hard was the swap? rating from a 1-10, 1 being easy, 10 being hard. I wanna do a swap too but then I dont want to spend more than a day swapping it.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
WaLLeYeMan said:
Cool, how hard was the swap? rating from a 1-10, 1 being easy, 10 being hard. I wanna do a swap too but then I dont want to spend more than a day swapping it.
yea id like to know too.. looks kinda fun

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
from my experiences, the conversion is pretty straight forward.....so i'd rate it like a 6 just because it's time consuming. looks great tim, thanks for the info. i'll be putting a link to this in the FAQs :tu:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Accord_boy619 said:
How hard is it to do this on a 6th gen? Do I got to replace the brake booster, master cylinder, ect? Has any one done this one a 6th gen?
Oh yeah, I forgot about that also. Wouldnt you have to replace the booster since EXs have bigger boosters...and what about ABS?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
that looks hella easy....basically bolt on and bolt off....man now i wanna do it....

lol ill waste my time with some better brakes in the front.

·
Registered
96 Posts
do you realize that its not gonna make much of a difference when youre using the drum prop valve and drum brake lines? the prop valve distributes brake fluid to the brakes. it will push more to the front brakes on a car that has drums in the back. so you need the EX prop valve so youre giving the rear discs enough fluid. and drum lines and disc lines are different. check out the part numbers for any company that sells brake lines. and youre also going to need the EX master cylinder too because it will be able to push enough fluid to the brakes. you pretty much have the power of drum brakes with the look of disc brakes

btw - 4 wheel disc brakes arent needed unless youre going for a major auto-x car. look at older cars. they came with 4 wheel drum brakes. my girlfriends dad has a 69 Camaro with all drums. if drums can stop a 4000lb car then its obviously gonna stop a 3000lb car

·
Registered
343 Posts
I know what your sayin, that it requires less pressure to actuate drums than it does a disc brake. But if I do this mod would I have to get ABS or can I just swap out the disk ass. and thebrake master cylinder, or do I have to get the whole EX brake system?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Accord_boy619 said:
I know what your sayin, that it requires less pressure to actuate drums than it does a disc brake. But if I do this mod would I have to get ABS or can I just swap out the disk ass. and thebrake master cylinder, or do I have to get the whole EX brake system?
if u were doing it the right way you would get the trailing arms, EX master cylinder, EX prop valve, and EX lines. you may need the EX brake booster also. i dont think you do but the holes may not line up between the booster and MC. the prop valve is going to be more inportant than the MC. with just the MC it will push more fluid but it will push more to the front brakes which may cause them to lock up quickly. the prop valve is just like a distribution block. just as an example - your MC pushes 100% of the fluid. well it all goes to the prop valve. the prop valve will send 75% of the fluid to the front brakes and 25% to the rear brakes on a drum prop valve. while the EX prop valve will send 50% to the front and 50% to the rear (i'm not sure of the exact percentages. i'm just using numbers for an example)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok to answer some of your questions...

firstly the ABS wasn't used since the LX didn't come with the ABS wiring. the sensors were just unbolted and discarded. this doesn't affect anything.

many who have done this swap, including civics, replace their proportioning valve to a 4040 found in non-ABS 90-93 integras. since all integras have rear disc, this prop valve is perfect. i heard it's even a bolt-on affair. this would indeed distribute even pressure between the front and rear lines better than the 3030, which the accord has. i'm about to do this swap as soon as i find one.

many have also changed their master cylinders and brake boosters to ones from an EX. this is for compensation too since the EX cylinder has a slightly bigger bore. i don't see this as necessary unless you have some more money left over. people replace this also since the stock one they have is already deteriorating. my mc was still good so i left it. ABS also concern me since the EX mc has lines going to the ABS (correct me if i'm wrong), and LX doesn't have ABS.

overall the brake feel on the disc with an LX mc and stock prop valve is way more positive than the drums. the conversion is really straight forward. it took me 8hrs long only because i was alone (it was halloween and the fellas were out chillin). i would want to get a 4040 prop valve in the future.

note: "4040" is stamped on the prop valve signifying what it is. also my car is a 4th gen 92 accord LX. 5th gen accords can do this as well since you guys have the same suspension as the 4th gens. 6th gens are a different story, but with some research, i'm sure you can also do this swap.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Images are not working anymore!
edit: they are back up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Accord LX brake conversion

Hey guys, I have a 2001 Accord LX, I was wondering if it would be worth my money to do to a brake conversion for the rear. I currently have drum brakes in the rear and I'm pondering on whether to consider converting them to discs or not. If so what would I be looking at price wise? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Shoot, I wanted to do my too. So I need booster, prop valve,MC and the EX brake line? Ok for the brake line, from where to where thou? Are u talking from MC all the back to rear disc? Man, if thats the case, is going be bitch to do. I hope it just the rear part of the line,not entire. :(

Thanks bro.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts