Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's some great info on how to convert, however it's for a 92 and I have an 01. So I'd imagine that it would be somewhat different, does anyone know how to do it with the 6th gen Accords? Let me know.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
really should be the same since you are taking the whole rear arm off, it's not like you are trying to mix and match parts. So if you get the parts that come on the same year EX you should be home free :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rear drums are better for e-brake, so if you like to slide on 180 corners, keep the drums. Also, rear brakes do approx. 10-20% (at most) of braking. Think about the weight transfer. A disc conversion (granted, may look better) is an unnecessary expenditure and complicated by ABS (do not underestimate the potential problems caused by changing ABS system in any way). Try the goodridge stainless-steel brake line kit $120 with your current brakes and you will find an improvement in pedal feel and brake fade--especially if you add cross-drilled/slotted front brake rotors (recommend Brembo). Knowing the small amount of braking the rear brakes actually do, I would consider upgrading the brakes I have instead of a conversion. Keep in mind that I autocross and have never wished for rear discs...my brakes do everything I need them to do with rear drums.

·
Registered
71 Posts
joeyl said:
really should be the same since you are taking the whole rear arm off, it's not like you are trying to mix and match parts. So if you get the parts that come on the same year EX you should be home free :D

Woa hold on there fellow. I dont need to change my spindle or trailer arm or anything? I just slap the rear disc assembly in it.....thats all? If this confirmed, then by this weekend Im heading down to to junkyard and grab me a pair of rear disc brake system :D

I

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
klnyc said:
Woa hold on there fellow. I dont need to change my spindle or trailer arm or anything? I just slap the rear disc assembly in it.....thats all? If this confirmed, then by this weekend Im heading down to to junkyard and grab me a pair of rear disc brake system :D

I
No you got me wrong, when you do the swap, you have to change the whole rear suspension minus shocks and springs, and that will include spindles and trailing arms.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
ldraudi said:
Keep in mind that I autocross and have never wished for rear discs...my brakes do everything I need them to do with rear drums.
You will wish for disc brakes when you have to pop the springs holding the shoes, and then hook them back in and do the whole voodoo adjustment. :D

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
threads merged

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's right, KLNYC. Hey, while you are converting, maybe do stainless-steel brake lines! Now there's an upgrade you will feel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
this post is awesome! im def. going to get the rear discs now.. thanks man

·
Registered
3 Posts
No you got me wrong, when you do the swap, you have to change the whole rear suspension minus shocks and springs, and that will include spindles and trailing arms.
So if I'm planning on using all new parts building my 91 accord dx I could replace everything with lx parts
as requested by UltraMagneticAL...

for the longest time i wanted to do this swap on my 92 accord LX, and this board provided me with a good place to do my homework. after much debate, i finally decided to do it and got my hands on a set of rear discs complete with everything that i needed. it was all for $240 from a local junkyard.

here are some pics i took as i installed them on halloween day. i was going to do a how-to but i didn't take enough pics. the installation is very straightforward. total installation time was 8hrs by myself. that included bleeding, e-brake cable adjustment, and test drive.

prior to installation

off the car

side by side comparison

finished product

for sale: 180k miles

for your enlightenment, i replaced the whole trailing arm, knuckle, and upper arm. i used the original LX soft lines and EX e-brake cables. ABS sensors were discarded. one section of the exhaust heatshield was removed to access the e-brake lines. one portion of the exhaust pipe was unbolted but not removed. the proportioning valve was NOT touched. for now, i don't feel that it's necessary to swap it out. so far so good. the braking is much more positive but it just started to rain and i wasn't able to test it out fully. i'll keep you guys posted.
Could I just buy all the parts for a lx to convert my dx cause I'm wanting all new bushing and such and could I still use my dx suspension

21 - 33 of 33 Posts