Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a '97 Accord w/ rear discs. What is the size of the two screws that hold on the disc? Mine are stripped so I'm going to have to drill them out and tap them. I gotta do all of this because of a stinking rear wheel bearing :mad .

·
Registered
381 Posts
you shouldn't need to tap it. i used a big enough drill (the size of the screw itself or slightly bigger) where it will drill out just the head of the screw.. once the head falls off, the disc is free and you can remove the rest of the screw once the disc is off.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
syc said:
you shouldn't need to tap it. i used a big enough drill (the size of the screw itself or slightly bigger) where it will drill out just the head of the screw.. once the head falls off, the disc is free and you can remove the rest of the screw once the disc is off.

I dunno, it seems pretty rusted and locked on tight. If anyone knows the right size (save me trips to the store). I could drill just the head off, screw on a nut, weld it in place and use a wrench to remove it then.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't waste your time. i JUST did mine 2 weeks ago. the screw is only about 1/4 of an inch long and will fall out as soon as the head is drilled. if the threads on the hub are not damaged by you drilling them, you can get those screws at the auto parts store in the "help!" section of products. they are actually labeled "honda rotor screws" i bought some but one of the hubs' threads were stripped when i drilled it. if you think about it, you do not need the screws anyway...my wife's car doesn't have any at all.... they just put them on to hold the rotor during assembly at the plant.... remember when you try to take most rotors off , you have to tap it a few times--to loosen it, even without those screws........

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got the rear brakes and discs replaced, BUT now when I come to a stop, I hear a grinding/scrubbing sound. It only does this when I apply the brakes so therefore nothing is dragging on the rotor. I used plenty of anti squeel on the pads so I know its not that. I'm thinking that either the pads are defective or the pads and just making noise because of the cross hatching on the rotors hasn't worn off. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
JOEL2112 said:
Don't waste your time. i JUST did mine 2 weeks ago. the screw is only about 1/4 of an inch long and will fall out as soon as the head is drilled.
yup. this happened to a buddy of mine. The screws got stripped and wouldnt come out. use a small drill bit (thinner than the screw), and drill out the head a little bit, then keep trying with the screw driver and it should come right out with out much effort. IF your rotors didnt come with new screws, goto www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and get them. I would wouldnt recommend drilling them out to a bigger size and tapping bigger screws b/c its TOTALLY not needed.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I always use and imact driver(I think that's the right name, you whack it with a hammer and it turns like a screw driver) to get those nasty screws out, but if they are stripped I'd just drill or dremel off the head so you can slide the rotor off, then put some penetrating oil on it for a while and grab it with vice grips.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I changed my rotors 2 weeks ago and only one of my screws were rusted, the impact driver didn't do anything. I had to drill the head and the rotor came right off, and I was able to take the "body" of the screw out with my hands. :clap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.