Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
You can run FWD without worry.

Be mindful of the center bearing on the driveshaft as you handle it, though. It could be damaged if "kinked". :bash

· Registered
1,174 Posts
's going to feel the same, except you maybe drop the weight of that drive shaft, and get rid of the "load" created from it spinning, which it rarely does. You already are in FWD and that back box only engages during a slip, and will actually help you retain traction if you start out from a complete stop.

But you can remove it.

· Registered
40 Posts
I's going to feel the same, .
Beg to differ...I can feel the rear of the V powering through the turns (even on dry roads) AS LONG AS I KEEP ON THE GAS. :bye

Without the assist from the rear axle (as in coasting through downhill turns) the V understeers noticeably. (The front tends to run wide.):fear

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats what i figured, i just dont want to fuck up anything for the times i want/need the awd. i wish i had a way to just turn it on and off

· Registered
1,174 Posts
I wish i had a way to convert it to full 4wd. I had an electrical switch on my dashboard of my Jimmy where I could select, 2wd, 4wd high, and 4wd low.

I want a similar electrical 4wd system. It worked well.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Do you get better gasmileage running only 2wd? or is it about the same as the normal setup?

· Registered
1,174 Posts
I'd assume it'd be worse mileage, since that shaft only works out when the wheels go... Leaving it off may not be a bad idea, but dif back there may not like it. I'm not sure. Still want an electric selector, and I'm sure it's possible to convince the car it's slipping all the time, but the Diff may not be able to support itself doing that.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I'd assume it'd be worse mileage, since that shaft only works out when the wheels go... Leaving it off may not be a bad idea, but dif back there may not like it. I'm not sure. Still want an electric selector, and I'm sure it's possible to convince the car it's slipping all the time, but the Diff may not be able to support itself doing that.
Id assume better mileage because thats less drivetrain loss. I think thats why Honda used live 4wd in the first place, fwd until it sees the need for extra toruqe via locking in the rear wheels. Not too sure, as I didnt doublecheck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.