Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 91 crx hf. i was wondering if it was worth getting a rear drum to disc conversion. also, where can you get a pretty good one? also, should i get a big brake kit for my car. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The rear trailing arms (and everything with them) from an Integra will work. That will save you about $250.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
doesnt help anything except add weight and look nice otherwies its a cosmetic thing u dont need to change to discs the car is light as it is and wont benifit from discs in the rear

·
Registered
321 Posts
The benefit is ease of maintenance, upgradeability, and a general lack of frustration from having to constantly adjust the brakes to function optimally. Plus, on my hatch one of the backing plates is bent so the adjuster wont work at all:mad:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
yeh i guess i left out the good stuff like new pads are cakehard to find new rotors i couldnt get mine right away. but they dont really stop fastre ill say that much. and unless u should get the porportioning vavle

·
Registered
274 Posts
i did and i am so glad. having discs on the rear sort of balanced the brake formula of my car up. very very pleased that i did it.
just dont go too big with your brakes youll regret that you spent so much money on something that just brakes the tires instead of thresholding them. imo
derek

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've performed this task as well and for all the reasons mentioned. However, I just wanted to hear that I added the weight of a cigarette lighter so I could regret my efforts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sure, it all adds up. But it doesn't outweigh the benefits. Are people getting so extreme that they skip meals too?

·
Registered
63 Posts
are there any websites or can anyone tell me exactly everything i need to convert an 88 CRX Si to integra disk brakes? Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't see how swapping out one set of trailing arms with big hunks of steel (brake drums + their overengineered-underachieving mechanics) for almost the same part with smaller hunks of steel (rotors+ their lighteright performing calipers) would add weight. maybe it would throw the balance off, but add weight? I can't see that happening. I want to do the Si trailing arm swap also because it'll make the mounting of a rear anti-sway bar a little easier...thats another benifit.
Peace!
-Mark

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
i'd do the rear brake disc brake...but im jes planning to get big front brakes instead. converting to the stock si or integ discs doesnt really change your braking distance much and you only benifit from less fade. it does have it benifits by being easier to maintain but i would rather spend the money upgrading the front disc brakes with a baer or wilwood setup...roughly about 650 bucks.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
thank u for explaining that where is Kam he will tell u also its better to upgrade the front caplipers and rotors and such. u will stop faster by doin that even if u just get EX/LS front brakes and upgrade to steel lines. that would be a way better investment than rear discs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, no shit -- upgrade the front brakes. That's obvious but it's not the topic of this thread. The guy (I'm assuming he is a male) wanted to know how to convert the rear to disc and you come off sounding like it's a waste of time and merely cosmetic. Even if the only benefit was appearance, I would do it. Who in the hell wants to see drums through their rims? Let's help him get those ugly, pain-in-the-ass drums off of there.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
who cares if people see drums in the rear...i see nothing wrong with that, many cars have drums in the rear. the link that was listed tells mostly everything that is needed on the rear. but we are jes saying that the money would be better spent on a big brake upgrade for the front. if appearnace is all you care about then go right ahead....but a wilwood or baer 4 piston caliper with 11" rotors would make your car look good plus it increases the braking power much more than a rear disc brake disc conversion would do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Money better spent? It's worth the $150-200 to some of us. I guess if I were using my lunch money to build my car, that would seem a bit steep.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey! I lost 20# by using my lunch money to build my car LOL!

The main reason that I would want to upgrade to rear disks is because they will be better for auto-X/road racing because there is less risk of fade from the disks, and if you would get brake fade on the rears, there is no telling which end of the car will be leading thru the next turn that I trail breaked thru...

That is however my opinion, not to mention , you can easily install the energy suspension bushings in the new ones without the car being out of comission (at least on a daily driver).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts