Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was autocrossing today and I went to take a turn and I was going a little too fast but instead of the usual understeer through a few cones the rear end broke loose. I mean really broke loose like 180 degrees. It was weird stuff, never had that happen before.

Then on my next two runs same thing the rear was all over the place. I don't know what the hell was going on. very unusual. Maybe it was the cold maybe tire pressure.

It sure was a lot harder to deal with than understeer though. Kinda have to give respect to these mustnags and camaros who successfully autocross. Its hard to control like that.

Anyway just something weird that happened to me today.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I find it really hard to get the rear to step around on the lude. Ever since my Tein SS and wheel upgrade this thing will NOT let go at all. Lucky me because I almost killed myself going 120mph down a mountain this past weekend on a honda tech cruise. Insanity!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
4bidden said:
I find it really hard to get the rear to step around on the lude. Ever since my Tein SS and wheel upgrade this thing will NOT let go at all. Lucky me because I almost killed myself going 120mph down a mountain this past weekend on a honda tech cruise. Insanity!!!!
I took my car through an s-turn at around 110mph in the wet & at night. Ended up doing around 10k damage to my car. Funny thing is though. I completely made it through the s-turn (talk about drifting) Which was the purpose of the run....But I took it way too hot. I wanted to come in and slide some after the hard braking.

I was able to just slam the brakes real hard before the turn to set my drift and then I went completely sideways , then pulled it back straight with a correction then came to face the completely opposite direction in which I kept exiting and then finally came all the way over and onto the grass at the front left and it pulled me off the road and I slide right into a small tree.

It was actually very controlled for the speed I was at and fact that it was slightly still wet.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
mike_sho said:
I took my car through an s-turn at around 110mph in the wet & at night. Ended up doing around 10k damage to my car. Funny thing is though. I completely made it through the s-turn (talk about drifting) Which was the purpose of the run....But I took it way too hot. I wanted to come in and slide some after the hard braking.

I was able to just slam the brakes real hard before the turn to set my drift and then I went completely sideways , then pulled it back straight with a correction then came to face the completely opposite direction in which I kept exiting and then finally came all the way over and onto the grass at the front left and it pulled me off the road and I slide right into a small tree.

It was actually very controlled for the speed I was at and fact that it was slightly still wet.
hmmm, sounds like a familiar instence to mine...cept it was dry out and on the stock tires.

fucking drifting!

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
4bidden said:
You guys both realize you own FF cars, right?
hahaha

so i was going around this corner in my lude, and i noticed it was understeering, so i punched the gas and got the back end to swing around so i could drift through the corner real nice like...i love power oversteer.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
4bidden said:
You guys both realize you own FF cars, right?
yea, and you realize you can drift them using the "lift throttle" drift technique right?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i got the back end to break out on my lude.. only cuz my tires were bald as hell, if i get bored, i just jump in my brothers mr2 and try to drift with that.. knowing my luck ill crash his car and have to give him mine.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
my ass slid out from behind me once when i was on stock suspension. scared the shizzle out of me and i never tried again on the stock suspension.

now im lowered and it hasnt happened again :p

this was full scale ass sliding on a public road (verry verry late at night tho... no other cars :eek: )... i thank video games for helping me through that deal :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
yeah, and knowing Andrew, he won't want your car, so chances are you shouldn't be taking the MR2 out at all, besides, if you wanna drift alls ya gotta do is pull your e-brake a little and lock em up as you turn wide

·
Registered
601 Posts
i find oversteer very easy to control in autocross and i set my car up with mild oversteer. around long 90* bends i usually get a small 4 wheel drift goin. its all about when you hit the brakes, how hard you apply them, steering angle, tire pressures, suspension settings, bumps, off throttle lift, how fast your going. its easy to do with just about any setup, stock suspension or not. the most important thing to do in a fwd car is NEVER let off the gas. 99.9% of the people out there do this when the car breaks loose. its an instinctive reaction and 99.9% of the time only makes your situation worse. keep your foot on the damn gas.

NEVER brake hard when turning (you shouldnt brake really at all), unless left foot braking (gas [apply first] and brakes at the same time. keeps your drive wheels pulling you, but also keeps the weight transfered to the front outside wheel and slightly less in the rear, causing the car to rotate more). you brake BEFORE the turn and always apply a little gas when taking the turn. people get in trouble when they think they're going into a turn too hot and turn and brake at the same time. your asking the tires to do too much and they exceed their limits.

i dont like to hear people complain about the excessive oversteer in our cars. take a driving school and you will learn ways to avoid understeer all together. how you drive is just as important as the setup.

a little exercise you can do is find a BIG parking lot with nothing around to worry about hitting. drive in a tight circle around 5k rpm and turn as tight as you can, keeping the throttle constant. then apply a little left foot braking and a little more gas to keep you speed the same. bam, your turning radius just got smaller, yet your going the same speed, or even faster.

most people dont know what a car can really do, but they also dont know they limits and too often go past them. be safe and take it to the track. screwing around at 100+ mph is just insane and your looking to get yourself, or worse, someone else killed. a track offers plenty of room if you go off the course, but a highway or city street doesnt. its just not worth it and things tend to happen way too quickly (trust me, i know).

·
Registered
300 Posts
same here!

Also did an involuntary ass drift one time.

Was going through a roundabout in wet conditions, going the normal speed as usual, when suddenly the engine bogs and dies! I have an auto which probably braked the fronts a bit when engine died, causing the drift.

Turns out the fuel was low and the constant radius of the turn forced the little gas left to one side of the tank.

Anyway, I was suddenly sideways, and couldnt really do anything about it exept ride it out.

Hardly kept it on the road, but had this feeling where your balls are trying to climb up to your stomach, very scary:eek:

Was also on way to work, so morning traffic, small childeren etc...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.