Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rain & stop-and-go traffic don't mix. I had to find out the hard way though.. :mad: Driving back from work, someone rear-ended me at about 10mph. It looks like its only cosmetic damage to the rear bumper.

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera so I'll try and explain the damage for some advice. I have a Silver '02 Accord.

It looks like he sorta slid under me, because the bottom part of my bumper is all scratched up. Parts of the main bumper, the fat part, have 1-2 inch long rips in it. The silver paint is peeled off and whats left is this black material (duno what it is).

Anyways, my question is: What should I do in terms of repair? (I don't plan on repairing it myself, I would take it to a shop) Any and all advice welcomed. Thanks!

· Registered
8,520 Posts
I rear ended someone recently, and slid under him. Tell your insurance, and have them deal with it, since it wasn't your fault.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it isn't my fault, but if possible, I'd like to do it under the table. I don't wanna jack this other guy's rates up the wall. (I'd hope if I was in a similar situation, I'd get the same treatment)

I was looking for advice in terms of repair. Replacing the bumper. Repainting the bumper if there is no damage, etc.. Any ideas?

· Registered
515 Posts
if the impact was hard enought to scratch/rip your bumper chances are your gonna need a new one , just have the guy pay for a new bumper (200) and paint it (120) im sure he will be very happy to oblige, i know i would be

· Registered
71 Posts
Go get an estimate, THEN tell him how much money you want. I'm sure you can get a lot more than that, and if he's concerned about his insurance, he'll probably go for it. At least get some compensation for your time, troubles.

· Registered
8,520 Posts
jschmid said:
Go get an estimate, THEN tell him how much money you want. I'm sure you can get a lot more than that, and if he's concerned about his insurance, he'll probably go for it. At least get some compensation for your time, troubles.
Fuck that shit .. i hit a guy, and i can't claim it on insurance, and the fucker is making shit up .. and i have to pay for it. At least your an honest guy, and dont want hit rates to go up. It was an accident, and he'll pay for it, much like i am ... 3,000+. Treat the guy fair, cause it sucks to be him.

· Registered
71 Posts
OdiedogCX said:
Fuck that shit .. i hit a guy, and i can't claim it on insurance, and the fucker is making shit up .. and i have to pay for it. At least your an honest guy, and dont want hit rates to go up. It was an accident, and he'll pay for it, much like i am ... 3,000+. Treat the guy fair, cause it sucks to be him.
All I'm saying is pringle is gonna be lucky to restore his car to original quality with $320. I didn't say to screw the guy, just don't get screwed yourself.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when they repaint the bumper, will they apply layers of clear coat on top? will they also "bake" the bumper to let the paint cure or do they just let it air dry? or would something like this depend from shop to shop or dealership to dealership?

i'm hoping color matching won't be a problem either..

· Registered
58 Posts
You'll be lucky if it only costs $320. The lady that hit me and left two holes in my bumper(from her license plate) and scratched up the right side is gonna cost $440 to fix. Just got the check from her insurance and realized i can get a VIS bumper for under $250, and get it painted for about $125. Accidents suck ass

· Registered
1,593 Posts
Costs hundreds of dollars to repair. Ever think of getting a bodykit? It's often cheaper to just go get a rear body kit then to buy another OEM bumper. It's just rebending the frame and everything else back into shape that the hard part.

· Registered
568 Posts
Ok here what you do. first go to the HONDA boby shop and get a estimate for the a hole new bumper + paint and all the other BS. because you will get a highter estimate from the dealer then other places.Then get a hole of his insurance co. and tell them about the rear end. 99.9% of rear end are the person falt! If he have a good insureance co. like allstate they'll mostly likely write you a cheek for it on the spot!bring the estimate from the dealer with you.I said it will be around $500 to $600 to replace and paint or more?. Then when you get the cheek deposit it in your bank account WAITE for a WEEK! because some insurance co. will cancel the cheek for some old reason? Then take you car to to some other shop that will fix your car cheep without replaceing a new bumper. I said about $200 to fix the old bumper and paint. Then you keep the rest and spend it on something else! Their you just make yourself a $300 TO $400 For someone careless! If the guy insurance co. start talking shit about the estimate! Bring up the SHIT that it a brand new car and you want the shit REPLACE not REPAIR! 95% of the time they will give you the price of the estimate because it a REAR END thing and it 99.9% they FALT! Bring you monm or dad if you have too! Get whatever you can out of those BASTER!!!!!:D

· Registered
406 Posts
HKSPower said:
. . . Bring up the SHIT that it a brand new car and you want the shit REPLACE not REPAIR! 95% of the time they will give you the price of the estimate because it a REAR END thing and it 99.9% they FALT! Bring you monm or dad if you have too! Get whatever you can out of those BASTER!!!!!:D
Okay man, maybe for some people, they are fortunate to have their cars and money GIVEN to them, and I can't be green with envy, but like hey, good blessings to them, whatever. However, others are not so fortunate, they get to drive around in their grandpa's old K-Car or possibly scrape up only enough cash to buy their own grocery-getter. Now if the person who hit you was a punk that was driving fast, then yes, it's totally their fault,

But as Pringle mentioned, it was during a rainy day, and it could just be an average joe, trying to earn a decent living, trying to feed his/her family, pay off morgage, etc. Now even though it's their fault, they weren't putting themselves in the position to get into an accident (driving fast 'n shit).

How would you feel if you were in this situation, where you're a nice guy, trying to make ends meet, then on an unlucky day, you hit another car by accident, then the guy tries to grab a month's worth in rent from you? How would you feel?

Of course if you have loaded parents that give you anything, you wouldn't give 2 shits.

And by the way, it's spelled "bastard".

Hanki .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.