Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im in the process of lowering my car and the front is done...on to the back, a couple friends of mine have civics and they said every civic they have lowered they have snapped off the bolt that goes through the bushing that the shock mounts too on the control arm because they like seize together...so what do i do if that bolt snaps? Do i replace the bushing or what? I didnt have this problem with my civic, but the bolts are not comming lose in the del sol and i cant take the chance of breaking something and not having the part to fix it!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Heh, just happened to me on my sol when i was lowering it a few weeks ago. Broke both sides. Ended up havin to saw off the nut thats welded to the strut mount and bang the hell out of what was left of the bolt with a hammer and punch inorder to seperate the strut and control arm to salvage the strut. After soaking the control arm and bolt in pb blaster over night i realized that there was no chance of saving the control arm. Went and got some replacements from the junk yard for $30 each with the bolts and matched up some replacement nuts at work. Oh and some blue threadlock since the nut isn't welded on anymore. Didn't have this problem when i lowered the civic but oh well. I don't see much other choice if that metal sleve in the control arm bushing had frozen to your bolt. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
if you are refering to the damper bolt, its quite common. luckily i havent had any issues with it, but basically the damper bends the bolt within the sleve, seizing it. its nto the sleeve that binds.

what we did to boyurlazy's sol was swap control arms cause i broke many many many many drill bits trying to drill a hole through so we coul dmake the bolt buckle. not worth it. just go to a junk yard or replace the bushing with some hardened rubber ones.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i got it all taken care of....i snapped the bolts on both sides, so i got an angle grinder and cut through the bolts on the inside of the of the shockto get the shock out then i burnt the bushing out of the control arm and replaced the bushing...not as hard as i thought it was gonna be! Just need to get everything aligned now!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dam swapping the bushing isn't that hard? The monkeys at the one of the mechanic shops i supply parts to said pressing another bushing in there would be way too hard for me to do. I go that route cause i ended up putting the my civic control arms on my sol (i needed a driveable car to goto the junk yard in and the sol was blocking the civic in and was closer to being finished). The sol arms have a bend in them and the civic arms are straight. Anyone know if they're the same control arm?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh i already got all that taken care of...the back end is all done. now i have another problem haha...i cant get the damn shock apart to get the spring off so i had to borrow some shitty old rear shocks from a friend. o well what can ya do, i guess ill have to survive till i get money for new shocks. :rolleyes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts