Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is really rusting out in the rear wheel well. I know its a common problem on the 94/95 accords. I found replacement patch panels online for ~$40 each. See: http://tinyurl.com/cmhafh

How difficult this would be for a DIY fix? I would have to get it welded at a shop, because I don't have the welding equipment.

I was reading about 3M's Automix to basically glue patch panels instead of welding. What do you guys think about using that stuff vs welding?

Here is what I was thinking about the 3M Automix: I would trace out the patch on my car and cut out the sheet metal about 0.5 to 1 inch below my original line. I would make a flange so it would be indented on the original sheet metal up to the line I drew. The new patch would then lay in the flange and line up with the original sheet metal.

Does anyone have suggestions, or has anyone attempted fixing this problem on their own?

· Registered
1 Posts
one way to fix

i have a 94 honda civic ex coupe. i have the same problem. i decided to grind the rust off the car as well as the paint to find out exactly how far the rust went. then ti sanded the rust away and i was missing the outer fender. i took gutter gaurd. and took a sheet and molded it around the fender to get the shape i wanted then i cut it to overlap about 1.5 in. then held it to the fender and mixed my bondo. while holding it to the car mold the bondo to the car. it must be bare metal. after every coat of bondo sand with 180 grit paper. when its close start wet sanding it with like 400 grit and go finer and finer until it feels "natural" then prime it and wet sand it then get touch up paint from the dealer and fade the paint into the existing paint. then project done.
:)

· Registered
2,148 Posts
My car is really rusting out in the rear wheel well. I know its a common problem on the 94/95 accords. I found replacement patch panels online for ~$40 each. See: http://tinyurl.com/cmhafh

How difficult this would be for a DIY fix? I would have to get it welded at a shop, because I don't have the welding equipment.

I was reading about 3M's Automix to basically glue patch panels instead of welding. What do you guys think about using that stuff vs welding?

Here is what I was thinking about the 3M Automix: I would trace out the patch on my car and cut out the sheet metal about 0.5 to 1 inch below my original line. I would make a flange so it would be indented on the original sheet metal up to the line I drew. The new patch would then lay in the flange and line up with the original sheet metal.

Does anyone have suggestions, or has anyone attempted fixing this problem on their own?
i would have it welded and let someone else try the method i'm uncertain of and see how that goes. damn that could have been you umm on second thought go with the glue :p

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I would take it to a body shop and ask them to weld it for you, couldnt be more then 50 bucks per side

· Registered
2,148 Posts
on a side note try saying the title 10 times, fast

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.