Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from taking the Gen 1 off road. Met a too steep hill so had DW and 2 riders get out and walk ahead. They say the front wheels were spinning, and the rear wheels were not turning.

Is there a safe way to check for 4WD performance at home? Since it's pretty evident it didn't kick in when the front slipped, where do I look first?

Thanks...new here.

Elgarc

· Registered
40 Posts
First thing to do is replace the differential fluid. 3x if necessary.

ISTR a note from Honda that flat-towing behind a motorhome requires some extra services...that might be one of them

As far as testing the RT4WD, its difficult to do it safely.

· Registered
17,396 Posts
^wow, changing the diff fluid out 3 times? totally not necessary. a complete drain and refill with new fluid is good enough for a rear differential. I don't know where you got that terminology from. Differential isn't filled with 20 different gears like transmission is, it's a simple part and a "flush" is not going to do anything to help it.

· Registered
40 Posts
^wow, changing the diff fluid out 3 times? totally not necessary. a complete drain and refill with new fluid is good enough for a rear differential. I don't know where you got that terminology from. Differential isn't filled with 20 different gears like transmission is, it's a simple part and a "flush" is not going to do anything to help it.
That's from experience with others (and some Honda TSBs)

If the diff fluid is contaminated (apparently it absorbs moisture) Honda says to drain & fill, then listen for noise...If still present, do it again...if still present, do it again (or get a new Diff :wow )

I'll grant you that a greater % of fluid is replaced with one D&F on the diff than the trans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.