Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 98 black civic, so of course I want to get rid of the stock tail lights and there's no way I'm going with altezzas. I was going to go with the red/clears from the 99-00, but then I thought "hey could I smoke the clear part and have red and smoked tails?" Anyone seen this done? What do you all think? If anyone has pics I would love to see it, thanks!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I haven't seen it, but it can be done. Just buy a set of red/clear tails and a can of spray smoke, and you should be set. Post up some pics if you end up doing it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
post in the photo forum and have some of the guys there photochop it for you. . . then post the pic here for us to see :)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
if you go to a hobby shop (wal mart might have it too, but i'd go to a hobby shop first) and look for a can of Testor's "transparent black tint" paint (i think that's what it's called, it's with the spray model paints), that will give you what you're looking for. you'll need a few cans though, cause they're really small.

also keep in mind that smoked tail lenses tend to attract the police. yeah some cars do come from the factory with smoked tails (mid 90's VWs in particular), but not enough to where a cop wouldn't notice them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
that one civic said:

also keep in mind that smoked tail lenses tend to attract the police. yeah some cars do come from the factory with smoked tails (mid 90's VWs in particular), but not enough to where a cop wouldn't notice them.
That's a good point... you may want to check with your local vehicle codes to make sure you're not in violation. Here in California, I don't think it's an issue, so long as the red portion is still reflective and your turn signals shine red or amber when they're lit.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I got my paint from Michael's Arts and Craft store for my tails and i saw black stained glass paint there, I used red stained glass paint to do this to my stock tails

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
when you go about doing this, keep in mind that you only need one really good coat of paint on the lens. 2 or more coats, and your lens is going to look really crappy. what i like to do is mask off everything that i don't want painted, throw down a lot of newspaper on the floor, and set the lenses on the newspaper. shake the paint can up good (this is VERY important), and then when you're good to go, start by hitting the nozzle while it's pointed at the newspaper. that way you don't get sudden splotches on the lens when the paint first exits the nozzle. then while you're still holding the nozzle down, make a nice, slow pass over the lens, making sure that you don't let off on the nozzle, and that you get every spot that you're trying to hit. let it dry for a few hours before you pick it up and put it on your car, and also wait about a week before you try to wash it just to be safe.

you also might want to give the lens a good coat of wax the next time you wax your car, that will help keep the paint nice and glossy.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
mokuboy said:
That's a good point... you may want to check with your local vehicle codes to make sure you're not in violation. Here in California, I don't think it's an issue, so long as the red portion is still reflective and your turn signals shine red or amber when they're lit.
the thing is that state laws also vary on output. even if your turn signal shines amber or red, it still has to have a certain level of intensity, or it can be deemed "unsafe". this can really screw you if you get rear-ended, and the person who hits you tries to bring up your tail lights as a reason they smacked you.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i saw this smoked red/clear on sedan at www.jdmcivic.com then go to a thread, where it said "post your pics of sedans" something like that. then looking for a red sedan civic. that car have a smoked red/clear in that picture. it look tight..

·
Registered
284 Posts
that one civic said:
the thing is that state laws also vary on output. even if your turn signal shines amber or red, it still has to have a certain level of intensity, or it can be deemed "unsafe". this can really screw you if you get rear-ended, and the person who hits you tries to bring up your tail lights as a reason they smacked you.
True, he should be careful not to make the smoke too dark. But since he's only try to smoke the clear portions, which are for the turn signals and reverse lights, it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
mokuboy said:
True, he should be careful not to make the smoke too dark. But since he's only try to smoke the clear portions, which are for the turn signals and reverse lights, it shouldn't be too big of a deal.
agreed. you can also get some hyper amber bulbs (or whatever color really, as long as it has the extra output), and that should work just fine. i'm about to spray some smoke paint on my front signals so that they'll match my projectors better, and i think this is how i'll deal with the decreased output.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i got some red/smoked tails and so does this other guy on these boards w/ the red civic.. looks real clean and custom, but yea i kinda messed up and sprayed too many coats.. it looks like a lightning bolt when i turn on the flashers cuz the paints cracking ... funny thing is some friends of mine think it's cool , lol.. i don't.. i'm gonna buy some red/clears off ebay for $50 and try again soon

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
hmm just wondeing, what's the highest wattage bulbs i can use for my reverse lights safely?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. Hopefully I'll get it done soon and we'll see how it looks. As far as I know as long as the lights are still visible and the "amber" in the turn signal is there it's legal. I'll let you all know what happens when I end up doing it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts