Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm running the mt-90 in my toyota...which is basically just a thicker oil than the MTL recommended for honda/acura applications. i changed mine out w/ redline at 30k miles.

switching gears is smoother and not as difficult w/ this oil. even w/ elevated temps during hard runs up and down the different togues in my area, getting into gear is never a chore anymore even w/ my short shifter.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Redline is good stuff, I run it in the MT of my 'Stang. Made it much less notchy and much easier to shift on the days it hit 0 F in Chicago last winter. The T-5 in the Mustang isn't the greatest gearbox but synthetic fluid improved it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I wish I could reduce gear noise but with the short shifter going straight into the gearbox on the Mustang there's no linkage in insulate the noise.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Switched to Redline MTL a couple months ago and didn't notice anything at first..but it gradually started shifting smoother....I dunno though it seems almost like it's too slippery...It;s like i can feel every part of the tranny through every shift,....if that makes sense..

But...overall...its GREAT stuff...i think i might try GM Syncromesh next

·
Registered
134 Posts
Has any1 tried royal purple, My boss use to use it in his pro drag car and gained 6 hp, but then again this car ran a high 8 second 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i use the redline mtf 90 and i love it because it made shifting a whole lot smoother and better. as for the royal purple stuff, my understanding of it is that it increases horespower but doesnt last long at all atleast thats the way it is with the normal oil for the car. plus its expensive as hell.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I've been running Redline mt-90 in my tranny for over 40k miles now and I've been very happy with it. I also have energy suspension shifter bushings and a modified stock gsr shifter in my civic. I tried redline mtl and it worked fine, but was a little too slippery for me. I liked the feedback form the mt90 better.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Heres some info on Redline MTL & MT-90 from redline:

General

Red Line Oil's MTL and MT-90 are designed to provide excellent protection and improved shiftability for manual transmissions and transaxles, having cured the problem of hard shifting in thousands of transmissions with shifting troubles. How? They have the appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (many gear oils, engine oils, and ATFs are too slippery for proper synchro engagement). And, the wide viscosity of MTL and MT-90 allow proper shifting over the entire temperature range which the transmission will experience. The synthetic base oils used have a very high viscosity index which provides relatively constant viscosity as temperature changes. MTL is a low 70W at very low temperatures and a high 80W, nearly an 85W, at elevated temperatures, providing adequate viscosity to prevent wear and deaden gear noise. MT-90 is a thicker 75W90 version of MTL. The shear stability and oxidation stability of these products are excellent, thus the physical characteristics of Red Line MTL and MT-90 will change little with use.

Redline MTL:
This 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil (SAE 5W30/10W30 engine oil viscosity) is designed for use in manual transmissions and transaxles. Provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting. Popular in many BMW transmissions and in most Honda and Acura transaxle applications.

Redline MT90:
Popular in Nissan, Toyota and Mazda manual transmissions and transaxles as well as other selected applications, this is a 75W90 GL-4 Gear Oil that’s slightly heavier than MTL. Provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting.

-- Notice the honda / acura comment. Is it a suggestion or just a remark of what they see as popular buyers? Also transaxles only?

Second the weight is 70W80 for MTL and 75W90 for MT90 , also the reason for the name...its 90 weight. In engine oil , its MTL: 5w30 , MT90: 15W40.

MT90 also has a higher flash point 465F vs 450F and its better for gear protection.

Its a hard choice. Both seem good , and the info is conflicting. Also redline goes and states mtl is for racing , right after mt90 is for protection....but its in the same sentence. So it could also say mt90 is for racing and more protection. Basically if your transmission calls for an SAE90 , then use that. But from what I can see , mtl will be good for colder climates and mt90 for hotter. Since the mtl will be less grippy in the cold. Viscosity is 56 vs 90 at 104F. Once it gets hot , they get less viscous and almost even out @ 212F.

Redline MTL should be more slippery though , so you are right. I just wonder how mt90 is when its cold and vice a versa since that seems to be the main difference of them. The 100 degree point where the viscosity is 34 points higher for mt90. Does this mean more grip when its cold? Is this a good thing? My tranny seems notchy when cold so im trying to figure this out as well.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I just put MTL in my gearbox a few hours ago and its already better(oil that came out looked like mud) My car used to have a little bit of hesitation going into first had to push it in a little more than any other gear and now its even and alot smoother in all the others. Good stuff, anyone have a good place to order from I ordered from UPracing.com took so long to ship from Arizona to NH and it was $26 for 2 bottles and shiping.

recomend it to everyone but on SOHChonda.com I heard that it eats the plastic casings of the bearings inside the tranny from a guy who has ALOT of experience with honda transmisinons. Also I've heard the same problem wih Red Line in the motorcicle world but until I see pics im not as konvinced(but still concerned)

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
coming up on 60k miles in a few weeks :cry.....almost time to change out that tranny fluid again :hehe

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i changed it out yesterday. the oil that came out was still light brown, but it was really notchy since i drive hard thru the local canyons almost every day. after the changeout, the shifting was immediately smoother. i highly recommend the redline MTF :tu

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
well after 10k on REDLINE my tranny started to have trouble going into gears and it was grinding when reallt geting on it.

I thought WTF tranny only has around 100k so I switched out the redline for honda MTF. Nothing was different at first but now the grinding is virtualy gone and the tranny is smoother.

In my experience so far with my sohc honda civic Honda dealership MTF > Redline ol. PLus MUCH cheaper.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i change mine every 30k, but i track the car ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts