Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
ATISTANG said:
Well unless it has a 96 or later ecu in it than you can't "flash" it. that is something you do to OBDII cars. Now you can reset it. But its not really gonna help, you need to get it tuned or tune it yourself
Actually on Honda's, its easier and cheaper to do it on OBD1 ECU's as its less restrictive and cost effective. OBD2 Honda's still didn't have flash capability until the RSX or K-series engines.

Unlike the rest of the world (chevy, ford, etc), Honda skipped out of the flash ecu for a dumb reason. Don't really kow what to say really. I guess they finally learned that if you just make it flashable, then they wouldn't have to replace bad ecu's all the time.

Hondata, crome, uber, nneptune, etc all run on OBD1 ecu's and allow them to be flashable.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
female four said:
Actually on Honda's, its easier and cheaper to do it on OBD1 ECU's as its less restrictive and cost effective. OBD2 Honda's still didn't have flash capability until the RSX or K-series engines.

Unlike the rest of the world (chevy, ford, etc), Honda skipped out of the flash ecu for a dumb reason. Don't really kow what to say really. I guess they finally learned that if you just make it flashable, then they wouldn't have to replace bad ecu's all the time.

Hondata, crome, uber, nneptune, etc all run on OBD1 ecu's and allow them to be flashable.
So your saying if they had any ECU issues that other companys would normally relase a reflash for, on hondas they would just reproduce a new ecu?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If they find that the ecu is indeed faulty for some reason, they will just replace the ecu.

Again, its just dumb and dumb on their part. At least the k-series engine's have flash capabilities now so the dealer can just update it if need be.

On normal chevy or fords all they do is flash the ecu and put a sticker under the hood to say so-and-so modification was done under so-and-so re-call and it was done at certified dealer.

So that way, the next person who works on it will know that it has recent update/reflash on it.

Don't really know what Honda was thinking. I mean being green and all, they could have saved a bunch of ecu's from going to the landfill.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Yeah they have a warrenty deal that was just a reflash with a TECH II when I worked for Cadilliac, it paid like .6 but only took like 5 mins to do, I loved when they came in and needed that done. Plug it in, hit a few buttons, wait a min, they hold it WOT till it hit the 4k rev limiter that they had in park then out the door.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.