Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i been trying to remove the lower control arm from the ball joint for the past week. I been working it for like 2 hour everday trying to remove the arm. I try hitting it with a hammer and i even went out and got a ball joint separator. i even took out bolt that hold one part of the control arm to the car. Am i doing something wrong b.c it would not come out. i need some advice.

·
Registered
518 Posts
ball joints... :noo i hate those damn things but, my quess is keep hitting it with the ball joint seperater, if not try tapping it with a hammer a few times then try the seperater again.... good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
98civcEK said:
what lower arm are we talking about that has a ball joint? th eupper front has the ball joint on my car. and it took 10 minutes to get it out with the ball joint press

ya the lower control arm is in the back. i need to re-place my front lower ball joint if anybody can give me some advice i would appreciate it very much :confused i have a 97' civic

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we talking about the lower control arm ball joint. it in the back of the rotor. the top one it just pop right out after couple hit with a hammer. the lower one is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
121 Posts
have u put one in? i just was wondering if there was any hints or easy way to do it? i had a civic book but i lent it to a buddy and he moved, and iam poor......so.... i just will wait and get another book. thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
welp i finnaly got my LCA out of my ball joint. i just went out and got a 3 lb hammer and hit the ball joint fork thing. it pop out after couple of hits but i fucc up my ball joint. anyone got a better idea cuzz dun have eought money 2 go buy another one.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts

Goto advance auto and buy or rent a ball joint puller, NOT a pickle fork. You press the 2 "fingers" on either side of the arm, then tighten the bolt. Works all the time, and doesnt ever damage it. ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if u do not want to remove the lower ball joint to take out the driveshaft. I just took out the spring and the lower control arm bolt where it bolt on to the car. and took out the upper control arm where there a ball joint. it was much easy for me to take out the drive shaft that way b/c the lca is a bitch to get out. I found out the easy way after it took me couple of days to remove to LCA on one side and it only took me 45 min to remove the drive shaft the other side

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
doubtfull. But, once you have the lower balljoint off, remove the upper balljoint (that ones easy) and the steering endlink. Remove the caliper (dont disconnect the brake line) and remove the axle. Then just take the knuckle to a garage and they will press in a new balljoint for just a few bucks. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts