Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done it on my old 4cylinder cars before...

Has anyone done that on the stock exhaust on the V6?
How does it sound? Would it be too loud(meaning droning during long cruises)?

I just want a nice purr without have to spend too much money and performance is not an issue as we've had too much stuff with speeding here(cop got killed last week by a hit N run guy) http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.asp?id={1F955DF5-1086-4E4B-B00C-F3B9E5309617} May he RIP

What are your thoughts?

· Registered
490 Posts
A friend of mine had all his resonators removed and the two mufflers..it basically sounded like an exhaust..but a ghetto one, not the refined sound of a well-designed mandrel system. If you really don't want to spend money than it's a choice that has some merit but it don't really look that great IMO.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well...I think if you remove both muffler and the resonator it'll be too loud. I think just removing the resonator should be good...just how good I don't know yet. Just want it throatier...plus I have some nice oval tips already.

Anyone else have this setup?

· Registered
1,320 Posts
There are 3 resonator on stock accord exhaust.

1 Small-echo limiter right after downpipe.
1 Mid-Size resonator right after the echo limiter.
1 in stock muffler system(dual, so one in each muffler).

Take out the muffler, replace it with rear-section mufflers, you'll get some sound, but its pretty much same as stock.

Take out the mid-size resonator, you'll get alot more sound. when exhaust is heated up, its basically like aftermarket exhaust. but still manages very low-deep tone, which should be good enough for some of you.

Take out all 3, it is what you are expecting from 2.0inch custom straight piping.

Just get 2.25custom piping setup, maybe add a resonator if its going to be loud.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
n00b.OnLine said:
There are 3 resonator on stock accord exhaust.

1 Small-echo limiter right after downpipe.
1 Mid-Size resonator right after the echo limiter.
1 in stock muffler system(dual, so one in each muffler).

Take out the muffler, replace it with rear-section mufflers, you'll get some sound, but its pretty much same as stock.

Take out the mid-size resonator, you'll get alot more sound. when exhaust is heated up, its basically like aftermarket exhaust. but still manages very low-deep tone, which should be good enough for some of you.

Take out all 3, it is what you are expecting from 2.0inch custom straight piping.

Just get 2.25custom piping setup, maybe add a resonator if its going to be loud.
Thanks n00b.OnLine.

What about just removing the MidSize one only and leaving the stock mufflers? I just want a nice growl/purr..

your quote " Take out the muffler, replace it with rear-section mufflers, you'll get some sound, but its pretty much same as stock." I'm not too sure what you mean...do you mean replace the muffler with an aftermarket one?

· Registered
1,320 Posts
SiR001 said:
Thanks n00b.OnLine.

What about just removing the MidSize one only and leaving the stock mufflers? I just want a nice growl/purr..

your quote " Take out the muffler, replace it with rear-section mufflers, you'll get some sound, but its pretty much same as stock." I'm not too sure what you mean...do you mean replace the muffler with an aftermarket one?
well to be honest(i never said this in public, as it was ricey :D).
i've tried all that in my av6.

First, I had rear-section bolt-on 5zigen mufflers. It replaced the stock muffler and small piping that connects to Y-Pipe of dual exhaust setup(just think of it as mufflers. )
So when i had that, I had 2 resonators remaining. Sound was almost same as stock, unless it was heated up. Even when it was heated up, it was VERY quiet. I mean quiet as it can be. I do not recommand this sound to anyone, because probably it is TOO quiet for anyone. even my dad couldn't notice the difference. :eek:

Now, after the disappointment, i decided to take out mid-size resonator. Boy, did that make difference? Yes, it did.
It is still quiet when you first start the engine(not heated). When its ready, idle is deep and you can feel the exhaust.
From low rpms(until 3000rpm) exhaust is very deep, and loud and it can be even annoying(well i hate loud exhausts). But remember, when it reaches 3000rpm, sound goes away completely, and from there you cant even hear it until redline.

The only RPM range you can hear the exhaust is 0-3000rpm.
But remember, i have 5zigen mufflers which is known for VERY quiet-side exhaust compare to others.

For your option, I say take out echo-limiting resonator and mid-size resonator if you want some sound with your stock exhaust.
But i highly recommand Aftermarket mufflers(so it doesn't have any resonator) and mid-size resonator taken out. it sounded pretty nice when i had it.

well thats just my opinion though. Just remember im a quiet person. so it was loud for quiet person like me. It might be too quiet for other "loud" people.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
n00b.OnLine said:

Now, after the disappointment, i decided to take out mid-size resonator. Boy, did that make difference? Yes, it did.
It is still quiet when you first start the engine(not heated). When its ready, idle is deep and you can feel the exhaust.
From low rpms(until 3000rpm) exhaust is very deep, and loud and it can be even annoying(well i hate loud exhausts). But remember, when it reaches 3000rpm, sound goes away completely, and from there you cant even hear it until redline.

I'm a quiet person as well...don't like it too loud. As long as it's bearable and low pitch like a growly V6, I'll be happy..don't want it buzzing/farting like a Civic or 4cylinder...

Tell me can you compare the sound/tone to a Mustang? GrandPrix? BMW V6?

For me after 3000RPM, my AEM intake will take over :D(it'll sound like a V8..as it already does) so no worries there :)

· Registered
1,320 Posts
SiR001 said:
I'm a quiet person as well...don't like it too loud. As long as it's bearable and low pitch like a growly V6, I'll be happy..don't want it buzzing/farting like a Civic or 4cylinder...

Tell me can you compare the sound/tone to a Mustang? GrandPrix? BMW V6?

For me after 3000RPM, my AEM intake will take over :D(it'll sound like a V8..as it already does) so no worries there :)
oh man sounds like we both have similar taste about exhaust sounds!
i loved the setup. i have ingen CAI. when i WOT, exhaust will go full, loud and deep, and when its about to go away, intake takes over and just screeeeeeeaaaaaams from 3500rpm! :cool:
Thats why i highly recommand that setup. Exhaust sound at the low end, intake sound throughout the high-end. its just heaven.

As our exhauts are dual, sound is more deep and growling.
If i want to compare the sound...... hmmmm.. let me think..
i dont know man.. but my friend said it sounds like this BMW 5 series around his neighborhood(the bmw had 1 resonator taken out).
I think you'll like it if you are a quiet-side person. I dont even listen to music in my car. exhaust and intake is my music. :D

· Registered
1,680 Posts
hey noob.Online,
Have you ever had just and intake? I wanna know if it is loud or drones when just cruising. So like under 3000 rpm's can you really hear it.

· Registered
1,320 Posts
ProAccordV6 said:
hey noob.Online,
Have you ever had just and intake? I wanna know if it is loud or drones when just cruising. So like under 3000 rpm's can you really hear it.
yea of course. first thing i bought when i got my car was intake.
you wont even know intake is there before 3500rpm.
unless you go full throttle, you can start hearing intake's growling at 3000rpm, and at 3500rpm it screams like a crazy mofo.
but cruising, you won't hear jack. :D just keep it below 3000rpm.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
with an intake(I've had an AEM shortRam since I bought the car a year ago) you'll only here a nice growl(sometimes scary loud) during WOT or if you stomp on the accelerator, otherwise it sounds stock with a bit of a hiss during normal cruising/acceleration...

· Registered
977 Posts
fox_raptor said:
aight calm down dude, but what i really hate is how manufacturers wont spring for a true dual exhaust setup anymore, for V engines, wiht 2 headers, 2 cats, etc...
my dads 540 has a true dual setup, ive checked it out, they run side by side down the left side of the car and it looks like a single exhaust with a dual tip... but its not... that car has some wicked exhaust manifolds too, they look like a set of shorty headers.

· Registered
1,320 Posts
MiKeY said:
you think i don't know? i been here b4 ur ass even got a driver's license..

fucking tool, the onlything worse than a dumbass is teaching others to be dumbasses..be clear in what you write..fucking noob
good job you got your license before my ass even got a license, you should be really fucking proud of it.

get a fucking life, i bet you anything everyone, at least accord people knows accord dual exhaust is just dual mufflers not actual dual setups. unless they are so fucking dumb like you, that you actually have to mention it.

The only thing worse than a dumbass is ignorant trying to act like he knows something and try to stand out.

i was trying to help out, thats all stupidass. SHO is being bitched at cause of *** users like you, who are just useless and helpless, but professional at being an ass and act stupid.

mikey i've seen you around alot in SHO, never seen you being such a son of a fucking stupidass bitch like this. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.