Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
1) first use pliars to remove the cotter pin... be sure to pull it out by the looped end, otherwise it'll get stuck and you'll have to break it out and won't be able to reuse it
(you're technically not supposed to reuse these, but i always do)
2) next, remove the nut with whatever size socket/wrench
3) make use of every mechanics best friend, the BFH, to separate the ball joint.

p.s. - let us know how that camber kit works once you get it installed.

· Registered
105 Posts
I'm laughing at the BFH thing... I can only assume D16 means 'Big F'n Hammer.'

Tho I would suppose the 'BFH' would solve a lot of problems in the world... in this case I would recommend running to a local parts store and renting, or an auto tools store and buying a balljoint press. It's like a puller, but it clamps on to the control arm and uses a big threaded bolt to press the balljoint out.

Much safer... much cleaner... much less likely to damage something.

· Registered
6,555 Posts
NordiX said:
It's like a puller, but it clamps on to the control arm and uses a big threaded bolt to press the balljoint out.

Much safer... much cleaner... much less likely to damage something.
lol...whats there to damage??? an old ball joint?? lol
like the other guy said... take hammer and have fun. when you install your new ball joints make sure you grease them up good so they'll slide in easier and use a rubber hammer to help it seat good. take it easy on the new ones and go wild on the old ones.'
haha

· Registered
396 Posts
NordiX said:
I'm laughing at the BFH thing... I can only assume D16 means 'Big F'n Hammer.'
yup.... i've done seven or eight suspensions and i have to say it gets more use than any other tool. it's good to have a really heavy metal one and a slightly lighter rubber mallet for those delicate pieces. :D

NordiX said:
in this case I would recommend running to a local parts store and renting, or an auto tools store and buying a balljoint press. It's like a puller, but it clamps on to the control arm and uses a big threaded bolt to press the balljoint out.
They also have these pieces of crap that look like tuning forks, but the forks are shaped like wedges. you put the fork on either side of the joint and hammer it forward, separating the ball joint. the puller is quicker and easier, but much less fun than the fork or the hammer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.